ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Billy Mitchell banned from tg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subzero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Billy Mitchell banned from tg
    Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 5:50pm
Vamino View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 6:14pm
Billy predicts the future:

Insert Coin[s]
TonyElyod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyElyod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 6:38pm
Wots the Guy in EastEnders got to do with ANYTHING..!!Clown

GAME ON....!!Thumbs Up
WHO DARES GINS !!
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 7:02pm
Bad day for billy ,great day for Steve .now the first man to of scored a million.
Time for a sequel .hope Billy’s been practicing and plays a live game for Steve to smash again
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 7:52pm
Sad news, as Billy is quite the ambassador for the gaming world. 
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 8:11pm
#JusticeforWiebe
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
Muerto View Drop Down
Hi Score Admin
Hi Score Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Bensonrad Bensonrad wrote:

So by that you mean, you rather have a rotten person as a role model, branding our hobby, instead of a legit one??
Inside every tool is a hammer!
Mark H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 9:28pm
MAME-gate !
"The Future Is Now"
phillv85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 9:32pm
I can't say I'm surprised, the whole thing just came across as an old boys club.
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 9:52pm
I've always found the global high score thing bizarre. From C&VG magazine in the 1980s to the present day I've paid no attention to it. Cavaet - I'm bad to average at most games so biased.

Who knows even back in the 80s what dip switches were set let alone whether people were honest.

Don't let it stop you getting a personal best or competing directly with friends in person - as at least you can trust those situations!

Edited by dj_yt - 12 Apr 2018 at 9:52pm
Mark H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:05pm
I wonder how good he is at "Viewpoint" on the Neo-Geo MVS ???!!! Smile

"The Future Is Now"
silversmurfer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversmurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Mark H Mark H wrote:

I wonder how good he is at "Viewpoint" on the Neo-Geo MVS ???!!! Smile

Now that's a harsh game ..
John Bennett View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by TonyElyod TonyElyod wrote:

Wots the Guy in EastEnders got to do with ANYTHING..!!Clown

GAME ON....!!Thumbs Up

I thought of him too (and wondered why he'd be on Top Gear)   
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Muerto Muerto wrote:

So by that you mean, you rather have a rotten person as a role model, branding our hobby, instead of a legit one??

I think Ben means its a shame in general as he was a good ambassador for the gaming world but unfortunately its tarnished now. 
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:28am
I don't know Billy, so I've no idea if he's a good guy/bad guy/cool guy/asshole.
He may have been a very good gamer in his youth but his legitimate achievements may be overlooked now, unless the mass majority forgive him? Stranger things have happened.....

A lot of people did respect him though, so much so his contacts allowed both Alex and Witney to get inside Nintendo USA to scan the Sky Skipper art. Lucky they got in there before this sh!tstorm happened!

I've never personally viewed Twin Galaxies as the be all and end all of world records, where are the 'world' records submitted to Gamest and Arcadia? 
Insert Coin[s]
backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:41am
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

I've always found the global high score thing bizarre. From C&VG magazine in the 1980s to the present day I've paid no attention to it. Cavaet - I'm bad to average at most games so biased.

Who knows even back in the 80s what dip switches were set let alone whether people were honest.

Don't let it stop you getting a personal best or competing directly with friends in person - as at least you can trust those situations!

I’m with you. The arcade scene lasted 15 years and that was 40 years ago.
The times back then are so much different to now. Not many people could afford to get that good back in the day as your parents had to be very generous. Recording a game back the required a small mortgage to buy a video recorder.

I wonder if anyone had a snakes and ladders world cup back in 1782.

These are just games.

Oh yeah any publicity is good publicity so expect game prices to shoot up even more $-)
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 9:55am
Originally posted by backflipper backflipper wrote:

The times back then are so much different to now. Not many people could afford to get that good back in the day as your parents had to be very generous. Recording a game back the required a small mortgage to buy a video recorder.

These are just games.

Oh yeah any publicity is good publicity so expect game prices to shoot up even more $-)

In Japan, it was common to release VHS and laserdiscs of games being played to perfection:

I guess the super dedicated players would purchase these, watch them a lot, and then return to the arcade! One of the above provides a full demonstration of the entirety of OutRun being played gear gacha style and it is bonkers to watch. 

The Japanese magazine, Gamest, also published insanely detailed breakdowns of arcade games. For example, there are detailed level plans for AfterBurner that show exactly where every enemy plane spawns and when. They are a work of art in themselves. 

However, for us mere mortals (or invincible 8 year olds as I thought I was then), it was rare to last more than a few minutes on most games!! LOL

Edited by dj_yt - 13 Apr 2018 at 9:58am
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by backflipper backflipper wrote:

Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

These are just games.

Can't help but agree with both of these comments. When I used to get C&VG I used to think WTF followed by  whyyyy?! when I saw those high score charts printed and that was back in the 80's, I'd rather have had an extra page reviewing a new arcade game and half the games they listed in, say '88 hadn't been seen in many a UK arcade for 5 years.

I learnt on a certain podcast that this chap was at one of those Croydon/Fairfield halls things back in 2004 or so so technically I think I met him and some old lady that played Qbert rather well but it's difficult for me to get that excited about anyone that's a world champion in something that's such a niche interest. The y00t on the street would wet their pants and shout nasty words if you tried that in the 'real' world :-) - although for some reason that now reminds me of the frustration Simon Peggs character felt with five blank kids in 'the worlds end' hehehe

Also, re silly game price increases I'm glad I never had a desire to own a Nintendo Kong as I hardly remember seeing anything except bootlegs back in the day and now the nintendo cabs line UK collectors gamerooms and adorn various websites with great prominence :-)

Edited by karlcdoe - 13 Apr 2018 at 11:40am
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 12:16pm
I am useless at Donkey Kong, not very good at any games really so no point me looking at others high scores

Can't help being suspicious about anyone's score that can't do it live to be honest

He's done alright out of it until now though, but was it worth it to now be shown as a cheate 
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by strykr strykr wrote:

Originally posted by Muerto Muerto wrote:

I think Ben means its a shame in general as he was a good ambassador for the gaming world but unfortunately its tarnished now. 

Thanks Rich, yes that is what I meant.  I was more thinking of how he opened doors and helped with the Sky Skipper project etc, his name over all these years has likely brought a lot of attention the gaming/arcade world.  The word I should have used in my original post I guess should have been was! 

I can't say I follow high scores and twin galaxies etc, I presume back in the 80s he must have been very good at playing, as would not have had computers/Mame (or whatever he used later on) back then.

I don't condone cheating, just seems so pointless.  I can only think ego/fame spurred him on to do such things.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic