ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Why do some cabs never come up for sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do some cabs never come up for sale
    Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 5:19am
I was just thinking out of the cabs that i have seen come up for sale over the years how come there are some you just never see for sale

Even though they may have been really popular years ago
Is it size reliability price

Taito space gun
Sega air bike cop
Namco Prop cycle
Namco alpine raceres
Sega planet harriers
Sega laser ghost
Atari t mek
Atari 4wd riot
Sega airline pilots single cab
Sega emergency call ambulance
Sega brave fire fighters
Sega virtua on

Some of these i have never even seen in an arcade
Brave fire fighters
Planet harriers
Emergency call ambulance
Atari T mek

And proberbly never will do now

Would love to own a virtual on

Edited by robotech - 12 Oct 2018 at 8:27am
were meeting g over there
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:41am
There was a Sega AB cop on eBay uk about 2 years ago. It went cheaply from memory. Unfortunately, the eBay link itself seems dead now.

link
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 6:48am
Thats one i have actually played on when i was a kid but only for a week at butlins never seen another one in an arcade
Chase hq ripoff on a floating bike fun from what i remember of it
Never seen one for sale missed that one on e bay

Edited by robotech - 12 Oct 2018 at 6:53am
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 7:07am
Some of those games like Alpine Racer &Prop Cycle I’ve still seen about in arcades, so I imagine they still take money. More interactive games are popular. I suspect once they break the ops just scrap them as they take up a lot of space and replacement parts must be hard to find. AB Cop has come up for sale a few times, I’d not heard of it before one was advertised on here or eBay. Just think it was never a popular game so less of them perhaps were bought by ops.
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 7:14am
The one you would LOVE, is called "VIRTUAL ON" Embarrassed
Looking out for a Sega Gun cab: HOTD 1or2 / VC 1or2
John Bennett View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 7:32am
Rear projection and/or Hikaru doesn’t make for great longevity.

Was there many Planet Harriers around to begin with?
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Sbdesign Sbdesign wrote:

The one you would LOVE, is called "VIRTUAL ON" Embarrassed

Just changed that
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:38am
I only knew planet harriers existed last year
There was a french guy on here with a warehouse full of cabs
He was trying to sell some initial d,s and it was in those photos

Ive not seen a prop cycle or original alpine racer for about 15 years
There is a new alpine racer out now raw thrills again i think
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:29am
I think some of it is down to numbers produced.  Modernish cabs just aren't produced in anywhere near the same numbers as the cabs from the 'golden' era (the Pac-Mans, Asteroids and Defenders).   As they become obsolete most are canabalised for useful parts, re-purposed into another game or just smashed and skipped to make room for something new.   Bear in mind the original buyers of these things buy them to make money, and they want to maximize every penny out of them.   If skipping them is cheaper than selling or storing them, that's what they'll do. 
t-m View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 9:53am
I'm sure there was an Emergency call ambulance for sale not so long ago, first one i'd ever seen though
JohnBud View Drop Down
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:11am
Sega airline pilot is available on Facebook at £450.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:11am
I loved Prop Cycle - most have been scrapped. The CRT one is the one you would want if you can find it.

Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:15am
I've owned a Planet Harriers, great game but I found it got a bit credit hungry once you hit later levels. It's the only one I've ever seen over here though. It runs on that nasty Hikaru hardware that nobody wants to touch, and that was one of the reasons I was worried to keep it very long.

Prop Cycle I got offered one last year - op even said he'd deliver it for free! Thing is absolutely huge though so turned it down. They've got one in the Timewarp arcade in Bridgwater.

I think the rest are just not as good money takers as other games, or run on unreliable hardware. It's always the big cabs that are too expensive to fix the ops will trash. I just think about the stuff that JNC used to dump like that, and I'd imagine most of the cabs on that list were in the scrapheap there at some point.

Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:15am
Virtua On was awesome - who remembers the Namco copycat game Cyber Sled? That was awesome - I used to see these going in the crusher at a distributors :(
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:16am
That's a great looking cab and there's still a few out on site that people have mentioned in arcade reports. It's probably the one on the list I've seen most which is reassuring.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Steveylou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveylou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:30am
I assumed it was just because Alpha1 had them all Tongue

I've love to try Planet Harriers but I've never come across one.  F-Zero AX is another that has always avoided me.
lix View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:33am
I had a micro-raid on an operator a few years ago, he had few twin player units and large feature games such as a  Namco Aquajet, of which he'd broken up the Aquajet and left it to rot in a damp storage unit. The jetski assembly he'd given to his kid to play on, the rest of the cab was beyond repair so I broke it up and kept the electrics.  The operator said it had died on him and although it took reasonable money, it was too large a cab to keep on the floor and keep it repaired. I found out what the fault was, the mains input filter had physically blown up. So for about £15 in parts and at most half an hour of engineer time it could have been fixed and saved, but no, RIP another machine. The rest of the twin-player machines I hoovered up and repaired, so they now live with me.

I've broken up machines myself when I was an arcade engineer (not my decision!) and earning space can be at a premium, which I guess it can be a lot more now with property prices as they are. A lot of operators can't be arsed with the hassle of arranging a sale to the public, unless they have a reliable customer who takes pretty much anything at short notice. So in the skip it goes.

Been to a lot of arcades over a long time and I think I've only ever seen Virtual On once in the UK (probably Segaworld Trocadero in the early days). I want the game myself but the only way I reckon that'll happen is if I make my own, I'll burn the roms for a 2B boardset and 3D print the joysticks if I have to!

deanzor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 10:54am
Probably easy enough to source the Dreamcast Twin Sticks from Japan. I used to have two pairs: C&VG legend Paul Davies bought me a set back from Japan way back when. And then later sold me his ones as well. Can't remember if I have either of them still though, would be up in the loft and forgotten for years. Definitely sold my link cable and my Sega VGA cable though. Maximum sadface.
69er View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:35am
Originally posted by Steveylou Steveylou wrote:

I assumed it was just because Alpha1 had them all Tongue

I've love to try Planet Harriers but I've never come across one.  F-Zero AX is another that has always avoided me.

I recently traded an F-Zero we had it ages at holiday camps and latterly a bowling alley in Prestatyn just went in summer this year swapped for dairy milk chocolatebar UFO crane...same guy took away our time crisis 3 twin…for part ex on something else...…….. often the machines bear the scars of years of arcade action yet some collectors think they can still get them both cheap and pristine … only when they are privately owned or on exclusive holiday parks and cleaned regularly..... 

this F-Zero was even too big (tall ) for my van …had to move sites on a trailer when it got stale and only so many places it could go and still look small (when it left there it was taken in the luxury of a brand new 18reg HADFIELDS lorry IT LOOKED TINY IN THAT VEHICLE but took whole tail lift and hung over a bit) 

only beginning of last year sold our alpine racer after changing rearscreenproj  to an lcd flat tv  ONLY ISSUE was had to turn tv on every day on remote as it plugged in separately

I am selling a rsp sega INDY 500 on ebay at present but nobody jumping on it at 25 quid so should I have put it on the van with the 9 deal or no deal £100 jackpot fruitys we just tipped AS ABOVE ITS OFTEN EASIER TO SKIP OLD STUFF as run round to meet buyer for no real money wasting a half day

we tip a whole van full for £140 at our local recycling centre no matter if its one machine or a whole van full of 8-10 plus general rubbish  ……….

only a couple of weeks ago a guy turned up for a 7 by 4 traditional pool table with an Isuzu touper jeep style car ,,,,,,,,,,  I ended up delivering it for 50 quid extra ..lucky it was only a couple of miles down the road but it took  2 hours.... I did not really have spare 

ALSO LAST YEAR SOLD OUR 'LOSTWORLD Jurassic park' dual sit in for less than a second hand gun costs !

big is great but who lives in a house big enough for some of these arcade classics... if its too wide for doorways or too tall for the garage its a dream only non starter for many folk sadly...

Edited by 69er - 12 Oct 2018 at 12:10pm
undefeated arcade junk hoarder champion since 1977

IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!!
Liam View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 11:44am
A working twin Virtual On went for sale here in Ireland some time in the last ten years, if I recall. I think it was on sale for ages for something stupid like €300 and eventually two buyers went halves and split it into separate units, thus rendering it practically useless.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic