ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Valuations
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Midway Galaxian clone BATTLESTAR CAB FULLY WORKING
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Midway Galaxian clone BATTLESTAR CAB FULLY WORKING

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midway Galaxian clone BATTLESTAR CAB FULLY WORKING
    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:33pm
OK some of you may recall this story. It started back on Jamma Plus

When my daughter started school, she also started one of those After School Clubs. When I picked her up I noted this old arcade machine in the corner of the Community hall, and asked the staff about it

It had broken down some years before, but the kids had loved it

I offered to take a look at it for them and got it working

Kids aged 4 - 11 have been enjoying playing this 40 year old machine for the past 18 months

The After School Club is now moving venues, and they have asked me to establish a value for this machine within the collector community

It's a copy of Midway's Galaxian made my Century Electronics in 1980. This was a British company based in Oldham. The cabinet is 1.6m high and so a little bigger than a cabaret, but smaller than a full size upright. You might call it a "Mini"

To get it working it had a professional monitor repair / service to repair frame collapse. I repaired the speaker wires, new starter and tube to the marquee light, repaired Fire button. Good clean up inside and out. Replaced coin door bulbs.
I've probably thrown £60 at it and 10+ hours of my own time for the satisfaction of getting it playable for the kids

So what's it worth, and is anyone interested in taking this game further?
It's classic Galaxian gameplay, but obviously not in the Galaxian cabinet

YouTube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxY01l6o3kg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0uUaRm1FM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uz3C6AHEsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JeSH4z_55M

Edited by namfreak - 16 Apr 2019 at 3:36pm
gazcicini View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazcicini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:47pm
Lovely looking cab.
Looking for a 2p6b sf2 playing cab.
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:48pm
Few more recent photos

I've always thought this is a charming little cab that has an interesting back story prior to my involvement.

Plus it's good to know that the value of this cab will be reinvested in the kids club - and so will benefit school kids - rather than lining a dealers pocket
neoretro View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:08pm
Would be interested. Depending on value. Of which I’m afraid I cannot help on. Lovely story though deserves looking after.
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 11:20pm
Great story and lovely cab
There’s got to be a few people would love that
An auction would be a cool ending for the story and it going to the person who wants it the most
Sorry no idea on valuation
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:33am
I should make it clear that I don't own it - I'm just the go between to the owners and they're just keen to establish its value in the collector community so it goes to a good home and they can realise its maximum value to plough back into the After School Club kitty
Rasputin View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rasputin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:38am
Just put it on greedbay then.
Warrior needs food badly!
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:51am
£150-£200 on here

I’d agree with the above suggestion of eBay if you want to get maximum value for it.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:35am
Nice story behind it, and a proper old British cabinet. I expect I used to play Circus Charlie on something very similar at school.

Would be nice to have it go to someone here, that's a nice idea from them after the time you've spent putting it right.

£250 would seem like a fair price to me, I'm sure they'd be happy to get that for the kitty and know someone else will be playing it for years to come.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
griffo83x View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 8:44am
£200 would seem about right
wanted video wizard/ Ec midi / similar jamma cab :)
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:30am

Pretty rare to find an original UK build machine in original complete condition

See I would of thought machines like this should be more valued, if this is likely the type of cab you would of played Galaxian game on bitd, to get one now really should be more sort after than they are, but I guess because it's not what's seen in most Movies and hasn't got all the artwork on it like the Original ones people not so keen

I would of thought £250 for totally original working cab is a fair price and nice size to fit in too
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:40am
I played on way more booty machines like this than originals, BITD. Original dedicated cabs are always going to be more sort after though, I guess. Just guessing here, but I would be surprised if you couldn't get at least £200 for this, outside of ebay. Maybe get £250, depending how quickly you need to sell.
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
prof peach View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prof peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 1:19pm
What a lovely, tidy and clean little cab! Agree on 250.
Fuzzy View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:16pm
Lovely cab and a great game (of course).

Definitely worth at least £200.
Shinydaz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:49pm
It's a nice piece of British history and I wouldn't say no to it. £10 a pop in a raffle, if you can sell 25 tickets on here, everyone has a chance of winning it, just a thought. Got to be worth £250.
Out of room but always room for one more !
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:29pm
Thanks for all the responses guys
As others have said - it's Galaxian, but not as we know it. If it was a Midway upright, I guess we'd be looking at north of £600 - £800?

Also reflecting others comments it's a reminder of the British companies that copied major titles, and I imagine there isn't many of these cabs left - I guess they were the first to get trashed.

These woodie cabs with rebranded marquees remind us of the bootleg machines that popped up in pubs and youth clubs BITD

I think those values are about fair myself. I don't really have the space for it, but with the work I've put into it I would have offered them £200 just to take custody of it if there was no interest in it.

I'm glad to see that it is liked! I certainly think it's got a charm all of it's own

To reiterate, I don't have legal title to this machine, so any decisions on a potential sale are not mine to make

What I will do is advise the owners what the forum community have valued the cab at (£150 - £250) and I'll see what they want to do
kidyamlo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:50pm
Not that I'm looking for anything at the moment but it's the kind of thing I'd buy. I would pay £200 for it all day long. Maybe £250 if I was leaned on. Lovely little thing. Beautiful marquee graphics.
Read: https://bit.ly/2AJEpV7 / Wanted: Pole Position 2 Irish dedicated mini (preferably a project, but anything considered); Sigma Spiders cabaret
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:23pm
QUOTE=namfreak]These woodie cabs with rebranded marquees remind us of the bootleg machines that popped up in pubs and youth clubs BITD[/QUOTE] 

Quite right, this is why it's such a cool cab for us UK collector's and also why it's so hard to value. Almost all of these sort of cabs have bitten the dust over the years, certainly complete ones like this.
Around £250 is what I immediately thought, which is fair I think, but then you see bog standard 90's chip shop jamma cabs going for more than £250 so this could probably be a fair bit more to the right buyer? These sort of cabs are so much more interesting to me than say a common as muck Outrun LOL
Bods View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Shinydaz Shinydaz wrote:

It's a nice piece of British history and I wouldn't say no to it. £10 a pop in a raffle, if you can sell 25 tickets on here, everyone has a chance of winning it, just a thought. Got to be worth £250.

I thought that was a good idea, maybe even 50 Tickets at £5 and raffle done when all tickets sold

Chance of a cab for £5 you can't complain at, if I was into the older games like this I would of bought it, I didn't play these in the arcades myself though
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
chubsta View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:44pm
I reckon you would get at least 50 people to pony up a fiver for the chance of winning this as they know the money is going to a decent cause as well
Selling up and movin' on...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic