Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Gunsmoke PCB issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gunsmoke PCB issue
    Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:54pm
Hi, quick question! i have a gunsmoke (bootleg i think) and a gunsmoke\capcom adapter, but when i plugged it in to test the supergun\psu went crazy, power flickering on and off.  So i turned it off quickly, its probably destroyed.  Does anyone know if they made a gunsmoke bootleg with a jamma connection on it that doesnt require an adapter? I know the connector looks like jamma anyways from reading online. or what am i doing wrong!? Thanks

Edited by Keithgeo - 14 Aug 2019 at 12:55pm
SUPERSPRINT View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERSPRINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:08pm
Very possible that’s it jamma, photo please of the edge
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 1:32pm
^ This. Lots of bootlegs are JAMMA.

Edited by big10p - 14 Aug 2019 at 1:45pm
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
Keithgeo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:08pm
Thanks lads, i just couldnt find any mention of a gunsmoke bootleg being jamma online but it must be. ill take a photo of it later, it does look jamma but a search online told me that some of these do look jamma but are not.  thanks for the help
kiels20 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiels20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:18pm

This is my gunsmoke bootleg and it is NOT jamma. 5v and ground seem to be in the same place but the red green and blue are not. I made an adapter for mine and it seems to use the capcom classic pinout. Make sure your connector is the correct way round parts to parts and solder to solder. Not the opposite or this can do something similar and make you psu do silly things or f the board up
LHantz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LHantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 2:47pm
I also have a Gun.Smoke bootleg, looks very similar to the pic above, and it is NOT JAMMA, needs an adapter (works for Commando too)
Collector for 25 years - New from '92 - Electrocoin Xenon SFII CE - Over 150 original PCBs - Darksoft Multi CPS2/Taito F3/Neo Geo/Irem M72 - JROK multi Williams
Keithgeo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 3:29pm
Thanks lads ill post an image of mine later, the jamma adapter i have is a gunsmoke\capcom one i bought online.
Keithgeo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 3:44pm
Sorry for the delay. Here is my gunsmoke. Bootleg. Is it jamma ?

Edited by Keithgeo - 18 Aug 2019 at 3:46pm
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:58pm
Doesn't look JAMMA as pin 7 should be the key/slot position, whereas it looks connected on yours. Not sure though, TBH. Someone here will know.

Edited by big10p - 18 Aug 2019 at 5:00pm
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
Keithgeo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 5:18pm
Yeh its a weird one!!
Keithgeo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 44 minutes ago at 8:16pm
Can anyone tell ? Or is there a way I can check ? Thanks
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 34 minutes ago at 8:26pm
It looks like capcom classic, it's not jamma. The label is in the way but it looks like pins 25 and 26 are joined together.

This pinout suggest's that's correct as both are 12v

This one not so much as one is 12v and one is ground

I'll check a capcom manual to see which is correct, but are you using a home made adapter and if so which pinout was followed...

Edit: Gun Smoke manual says, pin 25 = 12v pin 26 = ground, can you confirm if they're joined on your board?

Edited by Ace` - 21 hours 32 minutes ago at 8:28pm
Keithgeo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithgeo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 24 minutes ago at 8:36pm
Thanks a lot I’ll check that out and post back!
This is the adapter I’m using when the supergun and psu goes crazy flashing on and off.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ie%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292893764260

Hopefully that link works.
QuadroGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuadroGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 4 minutes ago at 8:56pm
I can't tell whether it's Jamma or not but you can check out the pinout.
A pal from another forum told me how to do this:
First you have to choose one IC and look up the pin for +5V in the datasheet for the chosen IC. Next you check which pin of the edge-connector is connected to the IC's +5V pin.
Next step: Same procedure with the IC's ground pin.
Knowing the pins for 5V and ground you can fire up the pcb and look for one of the colour pins. When you've found one or all three colour pins you can look for the sync pin.
Now you can continue with all the other pins or just compare what you have with known pinouts.
Hope, this is helpfull...

favouredson View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote favouredson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 52 minutes ago at 10:08pm
You could try looking at pin 7 (key on JAMMA).
It clearly has a connection on the PCB so it can't be JAMMA.

If you look at the manual you see that pin 7 is video ground and pin 8 is the key on Gun Smoke...
Garry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic