Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

House of the Dead- dead boards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BulkSlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: House of the Dead- dead boards?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:02pm
 Hi Guys,

I’m hoping maybe someone can give me some advice on this HOTD cab. Thanks to Gunblade the Polostar monitor is all working and I’ve replaced the broken blue gun, the fluorescent tube and the PSU (the original died after a couple of uses) but now I’m onto looking at the game boards which appear to be dead. 

The internal wiring has been JAMMA’d so I’ve been plugging a spare JAMMA board into it to check the picture and sound are OK. Now that I’m connecting up the HOTD board itself I’m getting a garbled image like below:

Voltages at the filter board are OK, although they have dropped a bit on the way to the I/O board. Looking at the main board all the LEDs are on (and also on the I/O board):

I’ve read all lit up can mean the CPU is knackered so I got a complete spare board set. I decided to try plugging it into the JAMMA set up just to make sure it works and I get the same garbled screen. Cry So either the replacement boards are DOA or maybe it’s something in the wiring or filter board?

I don’t think it’s the I/O board as I have a spare of that and it didn’t seem to make a difference when hooked up (unless both I/O boards are broken?)

Long term I want to remove the JAMMA wiring and go back to something more original, and also sort out stuff like this, where the wires for the amp have been soldered to the JST pinsSleepy

I’m making progress with the harness that came with the spare board and I think I have everything connected in the right places on the filter board and I/O board now but annoyingly most of the connectors in the cab to things like the start button, coin counter, etc don’t match. It doesn’t feel right to be hacking up this nice harness, so does anyone know if there are places that sell these connectors? Or should I just stop being picky and just attach new connectors to both ends?

Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:09pm
Could be good news that both boards do the same.  But that screen doesn't look healthy.
Can you get into TEST?
Are you using the same rom board? or 2 different stacks?

have you checked the RGB going from filter straight to monitor, without gun board between the 2?
and is the I/o you refer to the gunboard?

======================================
Do not Sell a Cab to SBDESIGN!
Kev A View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:21pm
Was thinking the same, normally I would jump straight to broken CPU/video board, but, two boards with the exact same symptoms sounds unlikely, like SB says, might be worth ruling out the little gun PCB by going straight from the main stack to the monitor.
Wanted - Continental Circus cab /// Found thanks to Chopper79 :-)
Kev A View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:23pm
Also another thought, its definitely a polostar? not a dual res polo with manual switching between 15/24khz
BulkSlash View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BulkSlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 2:44pm
@Sbdesign I just tried your suggestion of plugging the video out directly onto the filter board and the LEDs on the replacement stack all cycled and the game booted to the attract screen! I tried the original board stack but it still booted to garbage unfortunately. Does this sound like both gun boards are dead?

I saw the other day you were after a spare HOTD ROM set. If it turns out I’ve got two good sets of ROMs I’ll post one of them off to you. 

@Kev A I’m pretty sure it’s a Polostar, here’s the sticker on the tube and the monitor board. Poor old Gunblade had to do a lot of work on it as it had been badly repaired in the past and had the wrong flyback. 

AMS View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:04pm
If the gun I/o is broken or not connected good the board will not boot and give a scramble image as you see now. If sound is running then there is a video signal or video board problem
Kev A View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:16pm
Yup defo a Polostar Thumbs Up
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by BulkSlash BulkSlash wrote:

I saw the other day you were after a spare HOTD ROM set. If it turns out I’ve got two good sets of ROMs I’ll post one of them off to you. 

Originally posted by BulkSlash BulkSlash wrote:

@Sbdesign I just tried your suggestion of plugging the video out directly onto the filter board and the LEDs on the replacement stack all cycled and the game booted to the attract screen! I tried the original board stack but it still booted to garbage unfortunately. Does this sound like both gun boards are dead?

So It booted fine?
you then tried original stack - same issue?  
does that mean both gun boards?

Could you clarify...
2 model2c stacks?   lets call them A+B
2 gun I/o boards?     lets call them X+Z

so stack 
A (on own) - title screen good?
B (on own) = ?

A+X = GARBLE
A+Z = GARBLE
B+X = GARBLE
B+Z = GARBLE

have I got that right?

BulkSlash View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BulkSlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:40pm
Yeah that’s pretty much it, although I haven’t quite tried all the combinations. I only tried the new gun board with the original stack so far, I haven’t tried pairing the new gun board with the new stack. I’ll definitely try that next. 

I wonder this it could be voltage related? By the time it’s at the gun board it’s dropped to about 4.8v. 
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:54pm
Did you measure at filter board?  If not, get that to the 5v...
I do think voltage related too - at this stage
BulkSlash View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BulkSlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 4:46pm
It’s 5v at the filter board but it’s already dropped to 4.9v coming from the 5v out on the filter board that goes to the gun I/O board and it’s about 4.8v when it reaches it. 

The PSU itself is cranked to 6v to get it there, I think a lot is being lost at the JAMMA edge connector:

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong too, as on the replacement harness and the schematic in the manual the gun I/O board should be powered from the PSU, it shouldn’t be coming off the 5v out of the filter board, that should be going to the control panel. 

This is probably a good argument to just get rid of the JAMMA wiring and try to get the replacement harness wired in!
lix View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:00pm
The hacked in jamma loom may not be delivering enough current then if the voltage is too low at the boards. Ideally yes it would be best to get a sega loom in there but the wiring could be beefed up with more wires on the +5V and ground lines, or thicker gauge wire.

Don’t be tempted to push the PSU voltage adjust beyond 5.5 volts to compensate though, I’ve seen someone try that and when they disconnected the main stack temporarily 6v went through all the other peripheral boards and killed everything!

I’ve also had to clean the power input JST pins on some model 2 filter boards before due to oxidisation causing voltage loss.
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:14pm
sent you a pm 
- a full loom

Edited by Sbdesign - 08 Apr 2021 at 7:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic