ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Troubleshooting ABI Boardmaster 4000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
deepjari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deepjari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 6:42am
my board is efferent i am sending the photos of the same.
is the crystal 8MHZ is ok.
DVJARI
Colins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:04pm
Hi there, I'm new to this forum (from USA) but I have two of these units in working condition. One unit I replaced the cracked display with a retrofit LCD I put together that fits inside the original housing. But that's not the reason for my post. What I want to say is on the two switchmode supplies I replaced ALL the electrolytic capacitors. I used my Sencore LC103 and 80% of the original caps were bad or out of spec.  I found replacing these caps to be very important for the health of the Boardmaster 4000 -overall. I made sure that I had date codes from this century too, Smile I used Nichicon capacitors for everything. 105C rating.  They datecode their caps and you can request date coded caps made within the last year. 2019/2020. Next I cleaned up the pcb and replaced the two surface mount caps on the Hitachi Inverter INVC158. If you do these simple house keeping things it is going to save you a lot of headaches down the road.  Its awesome that there are people out there still using these units. .  I Just don't have keyboards for my two units.  
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:32pm
What lcd did you retrofit? the same type it originally had? I have a really early version with no lcd that I connected up to a multi sync benq monitor, it works pretty well.

As for the keyboard I found one that could be modded to work but I think all stock has dried up now. Keyboard collectors like to buy them and then wreck them by pulling all the keycaps off, because they have old cherry switches.
dorkshoei View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dorkshoei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Ace` Ace` wrote:

Keyboard collectors 
LOL
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Colins Colins wrote:

Hi there, I'm new to this forum (from USA) but I have two of these units in working condition. One unit I replaced the cracked display with a retrofit LCD I put together that fits inside the original housing. But that's not the reason for my post. What I want to say is on the two switchmode supplies I replaced ALL the electrolytic capacitors. I used my Sencore LC103 and 80% of the original caps were bad or out of spec.  I found replacing these caps to be very important for the health of the Boardmaster 4000 -overall. I made sure that I had date codes from this century too, Smile I used Nichicon capacitors for everything. 105C rating.  They datecode their caps and you can request date coded caps made within the last year. 2019/2020. Next I cleaned up the pcb and replaced the two surface mount caps on the Hitachi Inverter INVC158. If you do these simple house keeping things it is going to save you a lot of headaches down the road.  Its awesome that there are people out there still using these units. .  I Just don't have keyboards for my two units.  

Don't suppose you made a list or cap map did you?   I think I need to do this sooner rather than later.

Welcome to the forum btw :)

Dan
jinq-sea View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:19am

What lcd did you retrofit? the same type it originally had? I have a really early version with no lcd that I connected up to a multi sync benq monitor, it works pretty well.

As for the keyboard I found one that could be modded to work but I think all stock has dried up now. Keyboard collectors like to buy them and then wreck them by pulling all the keycaps off, because they have old cherry switches.

Hey, I'm a (reformed) keyboard collector but I wouldn't ever destroy anything rare! Anyway, didn't the Boardmaster boards have ALPS switches?!
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
Maybe but the keyboard uses cherry, the pcb is even marked cherry.

I think I have a list some where of the caps needed DanP, it turned out to be an off the shelf psu that is still available from various sellers today.
jinq-sea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:24am
Oh - then the board I'm thinking of isn't an ABI board. Most mech boards use Cherry switches, and they were probably clear switches on the Boardmaster boards, and the classic beige doubleshot caps. It's no wonder they're scarce, sadly.
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:08pm
I found what I think is the complete cap list for the BM4K power supply.

150uf 35v
470uf 10v
1000uf 10v x3
180uf 35v
47uf 16v x2
4.7uf 50v
22uf 35v
56uf 35v

All Nichicon 105c high quality, still about half of the high voltage ones had started to leak.

Going from memory I *think* ABI used two different power supplies over the course of making BM4Ks but this list is for the more common one.
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 1:04pm
The list above is correct but missing 68uf 400v x2

I recapped mine today after putting it off for too long, it's a real pain getting the power supply off the metal frame in the boardmaster.

Edited by Ace` - 22 Feb 2020 at 1:05pm
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:25pm
If anyone needs a replacement or just wants a spare LCD this seller has two left

It might need some minor modification but this is the exact panel ABI used. I bought a spare as a bug decided to die inside mine, it didn't even have the decency to go to the edge.
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:10pm
So who bought em? Smile
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 12:46pm

So who bought em? Smile

I bought one of them.  Thanks for the post
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:02pm
Did anyone on here win the boardmaster 4000 that was on ebay? I'd love to know what was on the included disk. Tongue
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:27pm
£400+ with no screen and potentially faulty. Big risk with no schematics?
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:46pm
Sounds like it was working since the seller said it beeps which it wouldn't do if it wasn't booting up. Add a BenQ monitor and make a ribbon cable and the winner has a working BM4k. So not a bad price imo.

I don't know what a known working one with screen would go for these days, it's been so long since I've seen one up for sale.
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:49pm
I'm sure it still beeps if it fails on self test though?

I would hazard a guess that a complete one would.fetch in excess of 1k these days.

Edited by Equites - 23 May 2020 at 8:49pm
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:53pm
Mine beeps on startup, I guess it could be failing self test but that would at least mean it's booting. Tongue

I wouldn't part with mine, not even for 1k it's far too useful.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
  Share Topic