ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > High Scores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Tutankham

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tutankham
    Posted: 26 Aug 2018 at 10:27pm
I finally was able to get a new high score today:

298900, lvl 14

using Twin Galaxies tournament setting (1 flash bomb per life)

A hard, unfair and slightly buggy game but once in a while I can ignore all the shortcomings
and have a fantastic game which so far makes up for it. So far..

I hardly ever use the flash bomb in the game since something usually kills me before I can
press the button anyways. So it's only used for the end of lvl 6+4*n and by now I know of a
way to get through there w/o bomb (quite often but not reliable yet), too.

cNp View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cNp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 6:12am
Great score on a hard game... Half way to the world record of on real hardware :)
Wanted: Asteroids cabaret, Vartek Kadet JAMMA cab, Mappy Dedicated
tcgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 12:22pm
hehe, almost half way with R.Barrett at 622040 :P   ..that is one impressive score indeed
but the game reverts back to lvl 1 once you beat lvl 16 so you can pick up a lot
of points in the easy levels again. #5 at 301k must have died at the start of lvl 14 just like me,
#3/#4 @ 366k probably in mid 15 and #2 mid/end of  16.

tcgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 1:02pm
p.s.
there's a nice description of the #1 tournament high score on-line, based on that #3/4 probably
got to lvl 16. I like the description of how he snuck through lvl 16 - that's very similar to how I got
through the sibling, 12, yesterday - I got through with 2 seconds left and only because I saw
that I ran out of time so couldn't wait for an easier time in the swarm cycle anymore and tried a
last-ditch, hazardous run through the end part. From the write-up very similar to his maneuver.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/archive/index.php/t-110387.html

tcgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 9:56pm
Slowly but surely getting better at the game, today I changed my strategy at a
particular spot which seems to have helped - I got to lvl 16 for the first time ever

so.. 354760, lvl 16 now - the last level of the game before it reverts to lvl 1..

tcgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:17am

Finally did it - beat all 16 levels on hardest setting (just one extra life, hardest enemies, one bomb per life).

I've been practicing to hit enemies above/below and been varying strategies to manage the enemies
a bit better for a while and just couldn't get onto the high score table anymore. It's not skill
as such that is missing but something elusive - when I am in the zone I play perfectly but
every so often I drop out for a few seconds or get too stressed and then all goes downhill.
Very fast. And most times I can't get into the game at all and need hours of warmup.
Strange really and frustrating. But. When I am in the zone and play it just feels fantastic,
the right amount of frantic gameplay and calmer parts, no dependable patterns since the enemies
behave somewhat randomly so I am feeling challenged and on the lookout all the time and
in general a very, very hard game.

I definitely played thousands of games now, mostly I kill myself off and restart a game if
I make any mistake in the first 6 levels, since it's a sign that I am not in that zone yet.

Today I finally played a perfect game until lvl 15 where I lost my first life. Then two deaths in lvl 16,
one due to greed to get the 4000 bonus. But with my last life I beat lvl 16 and the game
reverts not only to lvl 1 but also to a much easier difficulty level. So it was easy to grab a lot
of points and increase my score from 350k all the way up to 570k.

In the end I think I died in lvl15/16 because I became way too nervous because I've reached these levels for the first time with a chance to beat 16, not really because the game threw something
at me I couldn't handle, really.

cNp View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cNp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:36am
Amazing skills Thomas... second in the world!  How long did that game take to do 25 stages?  (not including the thousands of games that preceded it!)

Wanted: Asteroids cabaret, Vartek Kadet JAMMA cab, Mappy Dedicated
tcgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:33pm
Well, I loose track of time when playing but I'd guess a bit over an hour.
So not that long time-wise for a near-record game.
Vamino View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:46am
Man, thats a really awesome score mate! Clap

I recently bought this PCB and it's not an easy game at all, once I rotate my monitor I'll be spending some time playing on this game.
Insert Coin[s]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic