Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

UK Neo Geo cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK Neo Geo cab
    Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 1:42pm
This is for sale round the corner from me. The seller reckons it's a genuine electrocoin cab from Brent Leisure

Looks more like a home made job to me?

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:04pm
Looks pretty genuine to me mate, almost identical to my first cab a 6 slot
We are the 45
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:16pm
What about looks homemade to you?
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:22pm
Looks like an Electrocoin with reproduction side art based on the US cab.
Looking for: American Laser Games stuff!, Dragon's Lair 2 dedicated cab
J69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:29pm
That I've been collecting cabs for 15 years and never seen one like that before. Big electrocoin 6 slots and Lordsvales but never a U.K. "Big Red"
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 2:47pm
Yeah, the artwork is probably repro - looks new and I don't think there was ever an official Big Red UK cab (might be wrong. MVS isn't my thing). Cab looks good, though. Then again, it wouldn't be hard to repro, so who knows. Message the seller and give him a bit of a grilling about it.
robotech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:23pm
Ive never seen one like that in the uk
Only the lordsvale and the two electrocoin
Cabs the big six slot and the smaller sports point 4 slot that i own

The controll pannel looks the same colour as an electrocoin six slot one the sports point has a green overlay i think the controll pannel is the same size and shape as one of the other electrocoin cabs (zenon goliath ?)
But with the buttons punched out differently and a neo geo overlay

The sticks are wrong though they came with
Molded red ones

Im not a neo geo expert but it looks homemade to me too

cosine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:48pm
It looks a bit like a Electrocoin Barline with that footplate, but it lacks the coinslot beneath the monitor.  The only UK Neo cabs I'm aware of are these:

I'll go with a generic JAMMA cab tarted up to look like a NeoGeo, I'm 99% sure that's not original.

EDIT: Just realised the 2nd is actually mine, before I bought it. LOL

Edited by cosine - 14 Nov 2017 at 3:51pm
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:21pm
Lordsvale
We are the 45
frothmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:43pm
Interesting. I saw this on Facebook and instantly thought 'Bollocks, that's an Electrocoin Xenon with home made side art'.

But after reading this and looking at images of a Xenon online, it's clearly not.

I'm not aware that Electrocoin control panels fit any other types of cab other than the ones they built - so quite possibly it is an officially licensed Neo Geo cab? Possibly a pre-production model or something that never actually got released?
cosine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:01pm
It is possible, though that bezel glass is non-standard I reckon, as it has SNK's old logo on it, which they never used in the NeoGeo era.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my sanity the most.
frothmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by cosine cosine wrote:

The only UK Neo cabs I'm aware of are these:

There's also this version which is an official Electrocoin one:

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:56pm
I've seen a few Electrocoin built Neo Geo cabs that are different from the Sports Point and Red 6-slot ones you normally see. The most interesting one was using a fruit machine cabinet - and it was 100% factory! I expect this is another one that was put together using another cabinet shape they had ready to go, no reason to think it's not genuine.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:00pm
Photo of the Neo-Fruito-MVS from the archives!

Nik73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:22pm
I saw this on ebay last night as well and noticed he's selling another one as well that he says is original, but also that it's been vinyl wrapped. Looks like a 16:9 LCD monitor as well.

Steveylou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveylou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:17pm
If the same seller has that other "beautiful original" cab then I guess it adds doubt to just how original the red cab is. I'm still confused by it though. The old SNK logo and oddly modern-looking bezel suggest it's custom (or that parts of it are at least), but that control panel must be original. Assuming it is though I can't find any other examples of an Electrocoin cab having a foot rest like that. It's similar to a Barline but not a Barline. Perhaps there's mileage in it being some sort of pre-production model or official hybrid after all?

As for that black and grey monster does it have mirrors running down the sides? Amazing! Tongue
_Matt_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 7:56pm
It is an official electrocoin cab although the art was added on by somebody. It's an Electrocoin playvision.
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:05pm
Monitor bezel is not original - home deffo made, 
Wrong sticks, 
Wrong side-art for a UK cab, 
Wrong marquee for a UK cab.

In fact it looks like this one with a new paint job and some stickers.

Avoid....

Edited by penrhos - 14 Nov 2017 at 8:07pm
J69 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by cosine cosine wrote:

It is possible, though that bezel glass is non-standard I reckon, as it has SNK's old logo on it, which they never used in the NeoGeo era.

According to the net SNK stopped using that logo in 1990, the year MVS was released. Could have been an early prototype machine
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

In fact it looks like this one with a new paint job and some stickers.

Avoid....

Well spotted, think you might have found it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic