FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

UKVAC on IRC, let's relaunch it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UKVAC on IRC, let's relaunch it!
    Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 4:34pm
Our IRC channel has been very quiet the last few years, how about we try and relaunch it!?!?   Only a couple of us are on there at the moment so expect some asynchronous responses!   

What is this IRC thing I hear you ask?   Well, it's a hangover from the earliest days of the internet, back when it was only really used by educational establishments.   Internet Relay Chat is a real time chat service, you join a channel on a server and type in stuff and read someone else's stuff in response.    Ukvac has been on IRC since the 1990's but it has kinda fell out of use lately.   Pman used to basically jabber on there all day long which helped keep it going but he's buggered off now.   In it's heyday in the mid 2000's we used to regularly get 20+ people on there all day every day helping each other out with tech questions, buying and selling cabs, pcb's ,etc.    Almost half my collection came via deals on IRC!  

You access it via an IRC client, they are still available for all OS's, just point it at the IRC server we use, select your nickname (usually your forum name to keep it simple), join our channel and start typing.   You can also talk directly just to a single person if you wish.   

Details:

Server: irc.enterthegame.com:6667
Channel: #ukvac

That's it.   It tends to work best if you can use a PC you leave on all the time.  It's not necessary, you can join and drop out as you like but you might miss something.   If the ukvac channel is dead you can also pop over to #arcade which is generally US based but has a lot of people on it all the time.

I'm going to try and keep in channel again, I might not always be there but I'll pop in and chat whenever I can.   Let the loafing on IRC commence!

Dan

ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 4:38pm
Hey, why not try and intigrate it into the website slightly? You could use https://mibbit.com/ to make it easy for people to join.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 5:22pm
I didn't even know there was a UKVAC channel on IRC. Wow, haven't been on IRC in years - forgotton all the commands, now. Tongue What about the integrated chat here? I popped in there once out of curiosity, but I was the only one there.
joe34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 5:51pm
also hoping for a web based irc client if poss
nintendoid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nintendoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 6:00pm
Alot of people are using DISCORD now... its very popular and you can even get a mobile version.

joe34 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 6:22pm
i just found something for google chrome users to access the ukvac irc chatroom within the chrome browser

follow these steps:

first, go here:

click where it says: ADD TO CHROME

open the CIRC app and in the field at the bottom enter:

/nick anynicknameyoulike

then enter:

/server irc.enterthegame.com

then enter:

/join #ukvac

... that's it, you are then in the ukvac chatroom Smile    (whether that's a good thing or not is open to debate...) Embarrassed

bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 7:22pm
I used to use irc back in the day. Nowadays I could only pop in and out in the evening.

Sounds like a plan or we could use the chat on here but like the other member there is never anyone online.
Could be helpful when you are trying to fix things, the online tech would be good.????
Always looking for a bargain.
Wanted. Centipede uprigh, bezerk, mad planets.
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 8:05pm
I've logged in and am happy to use CIRC again. Definitely up for more technical / repair related chat. Trading is also a welcome topic
NES4Life
-------------
Owner of ... too many cabs!
JohnBud View Drop Down
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 8:06pm
i'm sure we tried this before i remember joining it ???

strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 9:49pm
Irc? Can we all log on via aol as well. I have cd i got in a box of frosties
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2017 at 10:04pm
Ahh the days on irc.
We work in the dark--we do what we can--we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art.
jiytee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 12:58am
Originally posted by AnDyC AnDyC wrote:

Ahh the days on irc.

Don't, you'll be bringing back memories of modems screeching at you next LOL

In fact, better yet, what the hell "an acoustic coupler" - look that one up on google all you young whippersnappersBig smile

Edited by jiytee - 08 Jul 2017 at 12:59am
adrian purser View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adrian purser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 2:45am
Wow, I haven't been on the UKVAC irc for years. I'm usually on the pcb-rnd irc channel during the day so no reason I couldn't rejoin the ukvac irc as well.
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 7:49am
Logged in on circ last night and talked with a couple of guys. Just installed mutter for iOS so I could check it every now and again outside the house.
NES4Life
-------------
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 10:14am
Originally posted by nintendoid nintendoid wrote:

Alot of people are using DISCORD now... its very popular and you can even get a mobile version.

This would be a better option, pesistant rooms with no need for a bot etc, and as mentioned accessable from a variety of devices.
jiytee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiytee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 10:32am
Originally posted by joe34 joe34 wrote:

i just found something for google chrome users to access the ukvac irc chatroom within the chrome browser

follow these steps:

first, go here:

click where it says: ADD TO CHROME

open the CIRC app and in the field at the bottom enter:

/nick anynicknameyoulike

then enter:

/server irc.enterthegame.com

then enter:

/join #ukvac

... that's it, you are then in the ukvac chatroom Smile    (whether that's a good thing or not is open to debate...) Embarrassed

Or if you prefer the flavours of firefox, use the addon Chatzilla...
Same commands as aboveWink
Nes4life View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nes4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 8:45pm
I've logged into IRC a number of times over the last few weeks but only had a couple of chats so far. 

Is it possible to make the live 'Chat' feature here on UKVac a bit more prominent or to encourage people to use it more? Could we perhaps have the number of people currently in the chat room displayed in brackets beside the link in the menu? e.g. FAQ | Search | Chat(3) | Events | Memberlist  etc. 
Maybe even have a summary of the current chat in the bottom of the 'Forum Home' page in the 'What's going on?' section? e.g. Users currently in chat: bones, ace5, Nes4life .
What about a feature that allows you to call someone into the Chat room if they're online? You could click on their name in the list of active users (or search them and go to their listing) and then click 'Call into chat room'. I'd then expect them to receive a popup or PM with the request.

It'd be great to get some live chat going!
NES4Life
-------------
nintendoid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nintendoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

Originally posted by nintendoid nintendoid wrote:

This would be a better option, pesistant rooms with no need for a bot etc, and as mentioned accessable from a variety of devices.

Yeah its alot more popular and can be downloaded as a desktop, web-browse or phone app.
Chuckie egg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nintendo Arcade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckie egg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 10:44pm
Don't sit at my computer at all as I work out side,so a phone app would be better ?
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2017 at 11:04pm
What about a WhatsApp group?

I will also check out IRC, i think you can get IRC clients for your phone now...
Looking for: American Laser Games stuff!, Dragon's Lair 2 dedicated cab
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic