Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Fix logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Unknown game on Defender bootleg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unknown game on Defender bootleg
    Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 1:58pm
Since coming back to UKVAC I have been frustrated by a bootleg Outrun for a while, followed by a couple of easy successes with Konami 88 and a bootleg Pengo.

While waiting for some non-JEDEC EPROMS to come in the post for my Pacmania, I bought the following unknown board from Alpha1. I was of course warned about the condition, but at least the dirt tells me that it probably hasn't been messed with since the 80s.

It looked to me like Defender bootleg hardware but not the same as my Defense Command. There are pictures of a similar board online, Defence Command by Outer Limits, but with one extra ROM and buttons for Advance etc.

I started by lifting all the socketed chip as carefully as I could. Or course, many legs broke off and were left behind in sockets, but not as bad as could have been. A few hours later I had soldered on replacement legs from a donor faulty EPROM.

Next I decided it was time to dust off my trusty old Data I/O 29b, but had to clear some stuff from in front of it on the shelf first. This included my Ikari Warriors, a SFII B board I didn't know I had (is anyone producing replica C boards yet ?), and a pile of random sub boards from old bootlegs which I might upload pictures of to ID at some point. I powered up the 29b and was greeted with a beep and a flash of the screen before just fan noise alone, thats now all I get from power on. If I have problems fixing this later, I may post for help. So I'll leave reading the decoder PROMs for now and dig out an alternative programmer. Powered up the old 486 laptop, beeeep beeeep !. The perished rubber feet had glued it to the shelf so I pryed it off and cleaned up. Pulling out a faulty memory module brought it back to life, and it runs fine on 20MB.

Because ZIF sockets grip the edges of chip legs, I found I had to put some of the ROMs in a regular DIL socket first before they'd read and verify reliably. Only one would read but not verify consistently no matter what I tried, so I saved one of the resulting reads anyway.

So, the sound ROM matches Defender, no great surprise. The three ROMS with the orange labels identify as Black Beauty (Shuffle) in MAME. All the remaining ROMS are not recognised, although interestingly, these all have the same white labels as the sound ROM. The hardware doesn't seem to match Black Beauty, but all the ROMs have been in the board for about the same amount of time I'd say, they all have the same level of dirt and corrosion.

If anyone would like a copy to mess about with, please let me know, I'd be interested to know what you can find.

Edited by cliff_poole - 08 Apr 2022 at 1:34pm
cliff_poole View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 2:01pm
The boards after a good wash.

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 4:49pm
I have figured out why the three ROMs ID as Black Beauty. Whoever dumped and uploaded these ROMs, dumped a blank image. So my ROMs with the orange labels are all blank. We may never know what this board was Unhappy.

I'll carry on with putting it back together anyway. I guess I could burn a set of Defence command ROMs but it seems a shame to do that, I'll leave it as it is and add it as another unknown to my database.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 1:39pm
It is now back together in one piece. My question is, does anyone either recognise this board, or know of a Defender hardware game, with Defender sounds, which uses only 7 * 2K ROMs, and does not utilise the Advance etc. Push buttons ?.

aussiekanga View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussiekanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 2:14pm
The game is called Mayday, I own this same pcb as shown

Edited by aussiekanga - 08 Apr 2022 at 2:22pm
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2022 at 6:56pm
Thanks, that's very interesting.

I got hold of the Mayday ROMs and all the images are 4K. My PCB is silkscreened with 2716 under all the sockets but the markings on the chips are all worn off. I'll try to re-read them all as 2732s and see what I get. One of my existing images does contain the text "drone", so it seems likely.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 5:06pm
After reading all the ROM as 2732s, one of them does match Mayday.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by cliff_poole cliff_poole wrote:

The boards after a good wash.

Holy crap that came up pretty clean! Looks like with some new chips it should be good.

And it appears it is a Mayday - cool game! 
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2022 at 11:36pm
Since I fixed my programmer yesterday, I have managed to burn some new ROMs

It powers up with a yellow screen and constant reset. The main processor isn't outputting any addresses.
At this point I dug out my 6809 Fluke pod. This is unusual in that it has an external processor socket so it can be switched between 6809 6809E variants that are quite different.
Plugging the Mayday processor into the pod and running the self test gives me a pod connection error, so the chip is faulty.
I next plugged the pod into the PCB. Bus test passes. Short RAM test ran for a while before failing at various addresses. The fluke gives you the option to loop the test when it encounters a read back error. When I put the test into a loop, sometimes it passes and sometimes it fails. There is a short beep with each read error, so you can imagine an erratic beeping.
Remembering a recent post regarding turning down the supply voltage, I gave it a go. As I slowly wound it down, the beeping got slower (more test passes). At 4.4V it the beeping stopped, every loop of the test passes. Continuing the tests of course fails further down the line and RUN UUT doesn't work.

I am going to shelve this for now. One day I'll buy a bulk load of 16pin sockets and desolder all the 4116s.
bones View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 7:17am
   How many 16 pin sockets did you need for this ?
I've been looking for a Taito space invaders part 2 cocktail table cash box for years now😢😢😢
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 2:35pm
24 for this board. I'll probably wait until I next do a CPC order and buy about 100.
bones View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:07pm
   Ah ok, I could probably let 30 go if you wanted, I could do with some 40 pin sockets for processors if you fancied a swap or something.
I've been looking for a Taito space invaders part 2 cocktail table cash box for years now😢😢😢
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliff_poole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 3:47pm
No that's OK, thanks very much for the offer though. I wouldn't want to deplete your stocks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic