ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > General Pinball Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Virtual pinball queries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAbloTheGreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virtual pinball queries
    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:34pm
Am looking to but one from a place on web.
is 27" big enough for decent play experience?
is there any specific software/hardware I should ensure is in place to  enjoy?
Do you think it is simple enough to mod later myself, feedback mods etc..?
Is £1000 a fair enough price with "750 + tables"; 27" playfield

Cheers for any advice

Edited by PAbloTheGreat - 13 Jul 2020 at 1:36pm
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
Personally, true size is best, its logical.
Small ok? This is subjective. 

Value:
Expensive pre built, but what other options if you can't build one?

If you can build one, and you know whats done - then much easier to add mods, and cheaper (as you won't have the markup on parts, nor the labour charge)

My logic is - if you can get £1000 worth of fun out of it, then its worth it, if you get more or less, means its cheap or expensive.
Got 99 problems - and arcades are every one!
arakissun View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arakissun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:42pm
27" for this type of cabinet is too small.
It must be around 40"or 42" to enjoy it really.

Pinball emulation is not very simple in compare with MAME.
You need to read and test a lot of things and must have some PC experience not at beginner level.

PAbloTheGreat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAbloTheGreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Sbdesign Sbdesign wrote:

Value:

If you can build one, and you know whats done - then much easier to add mods, and cheaper (as you won't have the markup on parts, nor the labour charge)

My logic is - if you can get £1000 worth of fun out of it, then its worth it, if you get more or less, means its cheap or expensive.

I'm probably able to put together meself if there is a decent list of requirements and half decent steps though, how much would that come to do you think, ballpark, and how long does it take someone on average to complete?

Cheers again.
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
I have got one and the back box on mine is 27inch with a 43inch playfield. That is standard size. Cost a fortune, but it feels like the real deal. 27inch would feel like a toy to me. 
Big Apple 3am
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:51pm
Also its a real pain to get games on to it without some half decent knowledge, its harder then mame roms for sure. You have to link dmd, back box and playfield files together, can be a bit of an arse at times. 
Big Apple 3am
Sbdesign View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by PAbloTheGreat PAbloTheGreat wrote:

Originally posted by Sbdesign Sbdesign wrote:

Value:

I'm probably able to put together meself if there is a decent list of requirements and half decent steps though, how much would that come to do you think, ballpark, and how long does it take someone on average to complete?

Cheers again.

Personally I don't know the answer, but lots of guides on the web, honestly try google, this forum doesn't have much to do with this type of thing compared to others.
There is lots of guides and price lists for parts etc I have seen, but was a while ago, so apologies for limited info or links.
Got 99 problems - and arcades are every one!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAbloTheGreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 4:48pm
Spot on cheers.
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 4:56pm
I spent quite a while setting up a virtual pin earlier this year. It is good, but I have to be honest and say that playing in VR is better, if you've got a pc that can handle it. Visual Pinball X has a VR mod so you can play hundreds of tables.
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!

https://www.arcadepcs.com/
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

I spent quite a while setting up a virtual pin earlier this year. It is good, but I have to be honest and say that playing in VR is better, if you've got a pc that can handle it. Visual Pinball X has a VR mod so you can play hundreds of tables.
Interesting. Out of interest, what spec PC and which VR gear would you recommend? I confess I know nothing about VR and have never even tried it. Embarrassed
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 6:39pm
I've got an oldish i7 (about 9 years), gtx1080, and 16gb ram. Oculus rift S is great and relatively cheap. Plays visual pinball X fine as well as new vr games eg HL alyx.

big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 6:57pm

I've got an oldish i7 (about 9 years), gtx1080, and 16gb ram. Oculus rift S is great and relatively cheap. Plays visual pinball X fine as well as new vr games eg HL alyx.
Cheers for the info. I see the Oculus Quest doesn't even need a PC.
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:01pm
Good point - but don't know if VPX runs on the quest.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAbloTheGreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:30pm
Don't suppose any ever get flogged on here do they? Would be interested if anyone looking to offload one.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:20pm

Don't suppose any ever get flogged on here do they? Would be interested if anyone looking to offload one.
A virtual pinball or oculus rift/quest?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAbloTheGreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

A virtual pinball or oculus rift/quest?

Fair shout! LOL A v pinball setup, trying to create a "games room" type thing so kids can't move back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:27pm
Ask over on pinballinfo.. i managed to get a home built vpin after posting a request

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAbloTheGreat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Amb47uk Amb47uk wrote:

Ask over on pinballinfo.. i managed to get a home built vpin after posting a request
Cheers, just registered
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:28pm

There's Pinball FX2 VR for it - is that the same game? Anyway, I've just bought a Quest and will get pinball for it to give it a try, when I get it. Never tried VR before though, so if it makes me hurl, expect to see a Quest in the For Sale section soon. LOL
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

There's Pinball FX2 VR for it - is that the same game? Anyway, I've just bought a Quest and will get pinball for it to give it a try, when I get it. Never tried VR before though, so if it makes me hurl, expect to see a Quest in the For Sale section soon. LOL

Pinball FX 2 VR is well worth getting, but none of them are based on real pinball machines. There's also The Pinball Arcade on the Oculus store which does have some Stern and Sega pins (they lost the Williams/Bally licence).

Visual Pinball X is the real deal though - awesome recreations of real pinball machines and there's a VR mod, but you'll need to connect your quest to a pc to play them I think.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic