ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > General Pinball Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Virtual pinball queries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by 2huwman 2huwman wrote:

Originally posted by big10p big10p wrote:

Good point - but don't know if VPX runs on the quest.

There's Pinball FX2 VR for it - is that the same game? Anyway, I've just bought a Quest and will get pinball for it to give it a try, when I get it. Never tried VR before though, so if it makes me hurl, expect to see a Quest in the For Sale section soon. LOL

Pinball FX 2 VR is well worth getting, but none of them are based on real pinball machines. There's also The Pinball Arcade on the Oculus store which does have some Stern and Sega pins (they lost the Williams/Bally licence).

Visual Pinball X is the real deal though - awesome recreations of real pinball machines and there's a VR mod, but you'll need to connect your quest to a pc to play them I think.
Ah, OK - sounds good. I'm not familiar with any real pinball tables TBH, except the Pac-Man one I used to play years ago. I did see that there's a link cable available for the Quest, so will look into that at some point. Cheers.

P.S. The Oculus Rift/Quest sure must be popular as no-one has them in stock, it seems. I managed to bag a new one from ebay for a few quid cheaper than retail, but some are selling for way over RRP.

Edited by big10p - 15 Jul 2020 at 12:50pm
tronads View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tronads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 1:07pm
I'm just dipping my toes into the Virtual Pinball stuff. I know it can never completely recreate the real thing, but its a whole lot of fun to play.
I have managed to get a few tables working, but still need to mess with multiple monitors etc.
One thing I have found is when I first run tables, I get this "are you legally allowed to play this" message, which is a right pain, as its never in the foreground, and needs alt+tab etc to get to it, then even when I can see it, my mouse cursor goes blank so I have to guess when its on there and click it, then I generally take over with the keyboard to clear it. Its a right pain, and I cannot see how I will get it working well with a front end and in a mini cab if I have to mess around like I have seemed to have to do on every table I try.
Lots to learn I guess.
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by tronads tronads wrote:

I'm just dipping my toes into the Virtual Pinball stuff. I know it can never completely recreate the real thing, but its a whole lot of fun to play.
I have managed to get a few tables working, but still need to mess with multiple monitors etc.
One thing I have found is when I first run tables, I get this "are you legally allowed to play this" message, which is a right pain, as its never in the foreground, and needs alt+tab etc to get to it, then even when I can see it, my mouse cursor goes blank so I have to guess when its on there and click it, then I generally take over with the keyboard to clear it. Its a right pain, and I cannot see how I will get it working well with a front end and in a mini cab if I have to mess around like I have seemed to have to do on every table I try.
Lots to learn I guess.

You can get a modified file to get rid of the nagging, I just forget which one it is atm :D
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 3:30pm
Ok, can any of the Pinball VR users here tell me why I am getting the B2S software bitching "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error message?

I have the backglass files with matching names etc.
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:57pm
OK, got my Quest today and have to say I'm impressed. Well, gobsmacked would be a better word. Shocked Like I said, I've never used a VR headset before so had no real idea what to expect. Had no idea it'd advanced to this level. Been playing a bit of Pinball FX 2 VR and it's just so realistic playing it (despite having no hands in-game), I'm going to bin the idea of getting a virtual pin table and just stick to VR. Don't need to find the space for one now, either. LOL

Edited by big10p - 17 Jul 2020 at 10:58pm
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:07am

OK, got my Quest today and have to say I'm impressed. Well, gobsmacked would be a better word. Shocked Like I said, I've never used a VR headset before so had no real idea what to expect. Had no idea it'd advanced to this level. Been playing a bit of Pinball FX 2 VR and it's just so realistic playing it (despite having no hands in-game), I'm going to bin the idea of getting a virtual pin table and just stick to VR. Don't need to find the space for one now, either. LOL

Yeah it's awesome and the Quest is supposed to support loads of good games without a PC. Worth trying The Pinball Arcade next if it works on the Quest. I used to get loads of tokens for it whenever I logged into the game so didn't have to buy any of the tables. 

After that, Visual Pinball X in VR is the way to go if you want more pinball, but you need a decent PC. Think the Quest can have a wired link as well as wireless? Not sure as I've got the Rift S. But loads of pins have been converted to VR so they work with no setup needed:

Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!

https://www.arcadepcs.com/
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 9:49am

Yeah it's awesome and the Quest is supposed to support loads of good games without a PC. Worth trying The Pinball Arcade next if it works on the Quest. I used to get loads of tokens for it whenever I logged into the game so didn't have to buy any of the tables. 

After that, Visual Pinball X in VR is the way to go if you want more pinball, but you need a decent PC. Think the Quest can have a wired link as well as wireless? Not sure as I've got the Rift S. But loads of pins have been converted to VR so they work with no setup needed:

I did a search on the store for pinball but couldn't find Pinball Arcade, so maybe not on the Quest yet. I'll double check that later.

The Quest does have an official PC link cable for it but it looks like linking to a PC is still in beta phase. I'll certainly be looking into it, though. Visual Pinball X does look great, so it'd be brilliant if I could play that. Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic