ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

VR machine 2 - rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by simon_m74 simon_m74 wrote:

So GFX card test tomorrow I hope!

w00t!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2013 at 4:13pm
Hi All!

So far - not good news :/

The PSU`s keep having problems, so  my plan is to use a Mini ATX PSU.
The Expality computer requires
+5v
-5v
+15v
-15v
+26v

The Mini ATX can give
+5v
-5v
+12v
-12v

So I need to figure out if the + / - 12 is good enough to replace the + / - 15 that I need, and what the 26v does - nothing within the Expality as it goes straight to an external port.

The next problem looks like the GFX cards may be faulty :( I cannot get an image out of them - but saying that, with out the PSU working correctly I cannot test them.

The third problem... the Headset. No images on that when I plug it into my working VR pod, but that maybe due to the LCD`s within the Visette are different to what the IP board was planned to output. Earlier models (serials 1001 to 1087) used Panasonic LCD`s, where anything after serial 1088 used Epson LCD`s. The wiring may be different. Besides I can change the LCDs for new ones as I did with my VR pod anyway.

I`ll keep you all updated soon!

Simon

PS, see some of you at Snibston Discovery Park this weekend!
www.retro-vr.co.uk - on its way!
www.bettybeebooks.co.uk - Childrens books for simple life skills!!

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2013 at 9:44pm
Keep up the good work mate  Clap
We are the 45
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 8:21pm

Hey Simon

Chris here, you picked up the Sega speakers from me the other day. I need to look on here more, VR machine and in Leicester, top work matey

I have this video tape with them in use at London Troc with the R360

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Hey Simon

Chris here, you picked up the Sega speakers from me the other day. I need to look on here more, VR machine and in Leicester, top work matey

Great video mate, can I link to it please?

We are the 45
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by IDCHAPPY IDCHAPPY wrote:

Hey Simon

Help yourself, it's not my youtube clipLOL 

I do have the original tape with the same thing on and was going to put it on you tube myself, but someone beat me too itSmile
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:03pm

Hey Simon

Help yourself, it's not my youtube clipLOL 

I do have the original tape with the same thing on and was going to put it on you tube myself, but someone beat me too itSmile

Thanks then Tongue, Still need a picture of that chicken when you get a chance Embarrassed
We are the 45
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 11:04pm
video is great!

That game is the one I really want!  I hope my VR 2 will ever work so I can play that one again!

:D

new part for PSU arrived today - so tomorrow night I`ll try to find time to repair the PSU so I can power up the system to test the GFX cards properly.

I`m also working on a Sega Indy 500 mock up,  I`ll be starting  thread soon with updates on that too!

Simon

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 9:32am
Update.. :/

Component replaced within the PSU... lasted about 90 seconds before it sparked and blew..  Though it worked for most of that time while not under load - not plugged into the board.

It blew almost instantly when I powered it up with the board attached.. tho I think it was just a coincidence...  its the 5v that blows, and the ONLY thing that happened when the original blew is I accidentally touched a cooling fan and it stopped..
I dont think that caused the damage - let alone permanent damage so it blows the PSU each time..

Just incase though, I will be changing the cooling fan...

I have just acquired a mini ATX PSU from work, from a system that was being scrapped.  I will see about hooking that up later today to see if that survives!

I will keep you all posted!

Simon

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 6:03pm
Fingers crossed mate Smile
We are the 45
jimmerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimmerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 12:49pm
Hang in there!Thumbs Up
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 12:05pm
Hi all!

another update - no pics yet, but there will be soon...

PSU - After opening up the `dead` PSU, I realised that it was the fuse that had gone, so I replaced that, and it blew again the instant the power was turned on :(

SO..

I have a mini ATX PSU.. it fits within the Expality case, but under the Format PCB, rather than sitting on top like the original.  I have fixed it in place, but I need to mod the Format PCB now, so that the power connections are under the board.

This PSU has no -5v, that I require, as that was removed from ATX when ISO cards became obsolete. It does have a -12v rail, so I will put a LM7905 on that line to generate the -5v.

I did a test... other than the -5v and the 25v ( only required for the start button bulb ), everything seemed to power up fine... but as of yet - I have not tested the graphics output, or the tracker. I plan to add some speakers to the system, so I can see if the audio is doing anything.

So the to-do list for now..

VR 2 Expality:
     Make -5v Regulator circuit
     Move the powe connections from top of PCB to bottom of PCB.
     Add a relay in, to turn on the PSU upon request from the Amiga ( via the Parrallel port )
     Test PSU and hope!
     Test Audio & Video outputs.

VR 1 Machine:
     Design and build a Coin Tower, as I will be charging for play at some events.
     Design a banner, and get it printed for the events.
     Work on a video to describe how to play the game.

Pics up soon!

Simon

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 8:42pm
Hi all!

Ok a small update on the VR 2.

I have not been working on it for a while, due to the Sega Racer Build ( A post on that will be up in a week or 2 ).

As for the VR 2... I will be back on this project in a week or 2- once Sega has reach a point I cannot continue  - I need a screen, and side panels.

Both PSU`s I tried are failing, so I have decided to op for an ATX PSU. I have acquired a slim line one that fits neatly under the Format C ( I/O ) board.

The thing is... I am missing the 26+v but as I have traced that and its only for the Credit and Start button lights, I am not worried. 
I am also missing the + / - 15v, that is needed for the Tracking PCB.  The ATX has + / - 12v, so I will try that first, and if that fails, I will make a +/- 15v psu as a separate system to power the tracker.

Once all the power is back up and running, I will then start to test the graphical output, using the Expality as an Amiga 3000 first.  Once that is all good, then I`ll start to add the VR hardare to test.

I am still after the wiring for the controls on a sit down unit.  I have recently found out that there was never a manual made for the sit-down machines, all information like this, was just notes in the field technician`s note books.

I will work on  a trial and error basis - by trying to reverse engineer the I/O PCB, where the controls are connected on.

Please bear with me, but Sega work and VR2 ( and more work on VR 1 ) will be posted up soon!

Simon

PS - my VR machine will be making an appearance at Snibston Discovery Park, this weekend - 26th & 27th October.

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 8:44pm
Looking forward to it!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

Looking forward to it!
What he said Smile
We are the 45
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 9:22pm

I need a screen, and side panels.

Mo has some panels in if you don't mind the less favoured colours or mix and match (just spray em up)
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

Mo has some panels in if you don't mind the less favoured colours or mix and match (just spray em up)

Thanks,  yeah i know he does, and I have spoken to him already, about visiting sometime to pick them up.  - just a case of finding the time!

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

Thanks,,

I have already spoken to him, and I am planning on visiting him soon.
Just a case of finding the time!

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 8:35am
Any updates dude? Smile
We are the 45
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 11:13am

Any updates dude? Smile

Kind of!

but on the Sega only..
I have been spending all my spare time shared between Sega build and helping at the Retro Computer Museum. Very rarly on the pc to do updates, and no work on the VR2 as of yet - Sorry!

I have very nearly finished the Sega:

I started to wire the Force Feedback motor in last night, but have not yet finished that bit.
Once I have, I just need to rebuild the dashboard / steering rack, and then make a mount for the seat - then all done!

I have been taking a good few photos on my phone during the build, but my memory card went corrupted, so I had to foramt it and I lost it all :/
I have been taking photos since on my camera, but to do a full rebuild thread, I will have to strip it a bit to take the missing photos.

Not a problem due to the fact that I want to take it to bits again after its finished, to get the bits cleaned and painted, so I can work on thread then.
The Sega thread will be in the correct plac eon the forum.

As for VR2

It is only a few weeks away from me finishing the Sega ( before the strip down again ) - so once thats done I`ll start working on that again.
I have half created a switching circuit to turn the now ATX psu on ( was original odd-ball one ). I also have to wire up a 240VAC - 15 +/- v psu, for the tracking board.

I will keep up all updated.

:)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic