ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

VR machine 2 - rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 1:00pm
Hi guys and gals!

OK......

No pics YET - but I promise very soon!

here is some info tho.....

Sega.. all built, apart from a CGA to VGA converter.. the screen fades to red after a short while. Testing seems to be the converter rather than the Sega, as if I leave the Sega running, and re-set the power to the converter, the problem goes away for a short while.
Saying that, I find it odd that it does the same on 3 cards - tho 2 of those were bough 2nd hand - untested.

VR1 ( my main Pod )
While stripping it down to transport it home after an event a couple of weeks ago, I heard a rattle from the PC. I stripped it down to find a screw and a washer laying on the PCB`s - good job I looked before I powered up!

VR2 - the next project.
While having the VR1 computer on my workbench.... sorry - dining table :P,  I thought well, once done with rebuilding it, I thought I`d revive the VR2 project.

Psu...still dead, so as mentioned in previous posts, I have retro fitted a mini ATX PSU into the system. At first I thought that the +/- 12v would not be enough to power the Tracker board, a this and some of the rest of the system are wired up to +/- 15v. After building a failing 15v psu, I took the system to the Retro computer Museum, to work on it more.
Between us, we worked out that the ATX was good enough for the job.
The problem was the amiga not working properly.

When I plugged all the VR kit into a working Amiga 3000 from the museum, the game - VTOL, booted fine!

So, at the moment, I out of a working A3000 motherboard. With a working one, I believe I can build up a fully working VR system!

I just need to test the tracker, and make a cooling system for the GFX cards.

The Visette screens are dead, I think, first and second test = nowt, but I know more about them now, so I will test them again as I have figured out the pin-out, to send a direct CGA signal in.

The Amiga.
On the first post I put about VR2, I mentioned I would be getting 2 Amiga boards.. well I did, and one seemed to boot, so thats the one I used for the system. The other didnt boot at all-  well definitely no video output or sound and very little HDD activity.

The Amiga I used for the VR2 is faulty. It flicked the video dislpay randomly yellow and black while trying to boot the game. When it was trying to boot, it failed to open some files for the game, and it failed to communicate with the tracker PCB
So it was decided to strip it, and re-seat IC`s and clean the motherboard again due to corrosion missed on the first clean.

since then, it is not booting properly, so I am in need of a how to fix, or a new A3000 motherboard.

any help ?

Thanks

Simon
www.retro-vr.co.uk - on its way!
www.bettybeebooks.co.uk - Childrens books for simple life skills!!

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 6:07pm
I`ll be updating this soon, as I have been working on the VR2 quite a bit recently..

BUT

I am missing one of the 3 VR GFX cards that I have.

Have by any chance I sent it to anyone as well as or instead of a Sega ROM that I have been selling?

I doubt it, as although its the same size, its very different.

Please let me know if I have!

Thanks

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 6:22pm
I found it!!!

Website work tonight, then will be updating this soon!

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 10:10pm
Problems..

no matter what I try - no tracking.

I`m being persistent though slowly reducing my hopes.

Once I either get it working or give up, I`ll head back to the 2000 kit, where I`ll again be persistent to get images on the LCDS..

well you never know... as 2000 unit with a 1000 headset may be `invented` :P

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 8:28pm
Hi all.

An update ( sorry no pics, but all of them so far would of just been the same pics of the VR computer and tracker boards.. )

But I`m sure I`ll do some pics soon now that..

I have got the tracking working!!!!
Persistence paid off!

I just need to make up the controls  - that I now have the pinout for (Thanks V8Griff), then I will have a Sit Down VR - without a shell :/
Or as I have used the `Polhemus` tracking board, rather than the `Ascension` one I could have another Stand up unit.
The Ascension only has one tracker port - for the head set, where the Polheums has 2, one for headset and one for controller.

Good VR times ahead!!

Simon

PS - if anyone has a gaming racing chair they would like to donate to this project..... let me know!

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 9:29pm
Nice work dude. I'm not far pulling the rest of my stuff out.
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

V8Griff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8Griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:59am
Seriously good result Simon. Good we managed to eliminate the Ascension kit. One thing we didn't do was check the screens in my Visette 1 to see if they're working.

I think they are as I've looked after them but that's something for next time I guess?
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 9:45pm
sure thing David!

Ol, I hope you can sort something out for me - please take pics when you can!

As for tracking... its kinda failed again - but after close inspection, again its a loose connection. One of the 23yr old originals!
I am pretty sure I have enough kit to completely re-wire the connections between the tracker sensors and the PCB, so I`ll be working on that soon!

I plan to get a chair some how soon, even an old office chair will suffice for this for now, and then I`ll redesign the metal shell for the `Expality` computer to make suitably fit with the chair.

Controls will be planned to be on swing down arms, so player can get in and out of chair ok.

Once I start the rebuild procedure,-  I hope tomorrow (if not at the weekend), I`ll start to take pics :D

V8Griff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8Griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 8:09am
One thing you need to be aware of is that metal effects the tracking, which is why everything around the tracker was plastic and the source cube was glued in (on the later machines they used plastic screws)

Something to consider,that's why I suggested a plywood frame for the chair.
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2014 at 8:14am
Yes I know that,

I was hunting for joysticks last night - but nothing satisfactory yet....

As for chair framework :

I have read in the Ascension manual, that either plastic or Stainless screws are to be used to fix the TX/RX units.

Would that mean a Stainless Steel frame be ok ?

V8Griff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8Griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 10:51am
Stainless steel would be OK I guess or aluminium would do as well as that isn't magnetic either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic