ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

VR Machine Repair Undate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VR Machine Repair Undate
    Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 5:01pm
Awesome stuff mate :-)
We are the 45
Darth Nuno View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Darth Nuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 5:36pm
Awesome! ->

I clearly remember that game. I tried it @ the 'Trocadero game center' during my first London travel! Great memories! Please keep us update! Clap
www.dragonslairfans.com / www.arcadelifestyle.net
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 5:37pm
Thanks

I have just stripped it all down again, to remove the CD drive from the computer as it is not working.
- Just an internal fuse I think, which one of three have blown. I`ll be picking a new one up tomorrow.

As you all may or may not know.... these CD drives use a Caddy to load the Cd into.... well a previous owner had put an audio CD in without a caddy - I had no clue.. when I first got the VR, the drive was working, but not accepting a disc,  then recently it has lost all power ( the fuse), so in taking it to bits, I found `Cheek to Cheek` by Various Artists stuck in the mech! lolo

So now I know why it did not accept discs, so I hope a new fuse will sort it all out!

I have just ordered a keyboard for it, so I can access other functions on the game / machine.

Simon.

PS - I really want some more games for this!!!! :)

I will keep you all posted on the full rebuild!

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 5:51pm
I have never actually played this game yet!

When I first got the machine, I tested it just by turning it on, before stripping it down to clean it as it was covered in dust.
After putting it back together again, the LCD`s died ( not sure why though ).
So I never got a proper go on this...
And years before... I had never played any Stand Up games... Only ever a stock car racing game on  sit down, and my favorite ( that I REALLY want to somehow play on this ) - Exorex ( know as Heavy Metal )

I loved it!

Simon

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 6:01pm
Other pictures......
Of when it arrived :
The strip down
The clean
The (first) rebuild

I hope to get it back to this state again soon!
- but when I do, it will have higher resolution screens:)

Simon
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 6:05pm
Reminds of the film 'The Fly'
We are the 45
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 6:13pm
lol yeah!

If u like 80s films....

www.input-inc.com

I am a team member of that project!
Jodo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Boy is this a machine!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 6:15pm
Only one in the UK working I suspect? Weren't you going to sell this as well? I bet you are so glad you didn't! 

Beautiful...I really want to see a video of you playing this with a minimised version of the game screen in the bottom corner Thumbs Up MAKE IT HAPPEN!
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 6:18pm
I better video of the game I want....

Does anyone have a copy? - and the info to connect steering wheels and stuff to the Stand up version ?

Simon
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 6:22pm
I`m not sure how many are working in the UK

I will not be selling this, as I have been looking for one for YEARS, and I bought this just before Xmas, and it got delivered on Jan 4th :)

This will be working soon as I will NOT give up until it is:)

This unit is number 159 from about 350, - which about 130 of them stayed in the Uk ( as far as I read ).

They were also built in Leicester - where I have lived all my life!, so after leaving school, I went to apply for a job at Virtuality, but that was back in 1994... and they had `JUST` gone into administration... oh well :) I still got one!

porchy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote porchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:00pm
Brings back some good memories. Remember playing one at Alton Towers when they were quite new.
Very well done
Retroruss View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Retroruss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:05pm
I remember the one at Alton Towers too.....
gridrunner View Drop Down
Ex-lurker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gridrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:17pm
Hi Simon,
if you haven't already done it, make sure you replace the battery on the amiga 3000 motherboard. I had two units and the battery leaked badly on one of them writing off the board. Currently I've got one unit and one full set of parts from the sit down version of the game. The big challenge I see is in the tons of wiring that relate to the head tracking, which us neatly encapsulated and aligned in your simulator :)
I'll image the drives I have as they may have driving software on there. I'm missing key disks, so any help there would be appreciated!

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:24pm
Team work
We are the 45
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:26pm
Pic of mine tomorrow. Will be later on in the week for the games.
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:31pm
UKVAC 2013 VR revival
We are the 45
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:42pm
Hi Alpha ( and all ) :)

I`ll make changing the battery my number one thing to do when I get home from work tomorrow, thanks very much for that info!

As for making my machine a stand-up/sit-down combo,  I`m really looking forward to your help :).
my VR has much much wiring too!, but all the ports on the back of the Expality 2000, seem to be taken up, apart from the joystick port; there are 2 of them, and only one is used.

I plan to make a complete wiring diagram of my system during the week, so if anyone wants, they can have.

The Format board in the Expality has joystick trimmer pots, so I guess thats something to so with it, but they could also be for the dual joystick sit down versions.
The system I want to try to re-create on my system is the steering wheel and pedal version ( as per that youtube video ).

Any help at all of how the sit-down is wired would be greatly appreciated, as well as anything else!

I will give all my info out on how I repair / upgrade my system

thanks

Simon

jimmerd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:45pm
Fantastic, it lives!

I remember playing Nightmare in London Trop, the fighter plan one in the front of a small arcade around the corner from Weston pier, some other stand up "hunter/maze" one in Portsmouth and the racing game in Devon (Paignton?)

Was it £2 a go back then? Confused

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:53pm
Thanks :) - it kinda only just lives at the mo,  but it will have a full revival soon!

I only ever played the sit down version in a Thomas`s Arcade in Leicester. They had one to start with - playing Heavy Metal, which I played for £1, a few times each time, every Friday after I finished college. It was not long before they got a second one, going head to head. The cost went up to £2 ( if I remember correctly ).
I played it every week until they got taken out ! - A sad day!.

The store, Beaties, that was opened in the Leicester Shires Shopping Centre, had a sit down racing game at first, then after a while, changed the game to the flight sim. I played both at least twice, but to be honest,  Heavy Metal was the BEST for me.  After about 6 months, Beaties changed the sit down for a stand up.. but I never played on that ( not sure why I chose not to ? ). Then after a couple of months, that was gone too, and I never saw another one until mine arrived in a van just after new year!

:)
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by IDCHAPPY IDCHAPPY wrote:

UKVAC 2013 VR revival

Lol

Yeah.. I will get mine going for sure, and I hope to build it up as a combo system!

I will do my best to help anyone else with their system, from what I learn doing mine.

who else has one?
working ?
version?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic