ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

VR Machine Repair Undate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 8:29pm
I just looked again..

yes that IS the one I have!

The seller was let down by a previous buy ( so he told me ).

So he re-listed it.. and I got it! :D:D:

it was just dirty and a lil scratched... but working ( until the screens blew )

It will be working once again soon! :D

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:18pm
YAY

New LCD`s arrived today, and they fit PERFECTLY in the visette!

I will produce a step by step guide of how I refit them in.

Watch this space:) ( well at least the technical forum, as I`ll post it there ! )

Simon
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 11:16am
Hi All,

I have started to create the video conversion unit for my CS1000. When I started I suddenly realized that dont know the complete pinout for the cable that runs from the Expality to the Visette & Joystick.

I have removed the cable from the system, doing so I had to remove the main `Ring`, from the machine, to get easier access to the cable loom.

I am currently documenting the cable completely. I hope to finish that tonight, and I will post pictures up on here, of the work, and info about the complete pin outs of the main cable. 

This will cover :
Pin out for the Left & Right Visette 25way on the Expality to the Visette.
Pin out for the Joystick 15 way on the Expality to the Joystick
Pin out for the Sensor T1 Tracker - 15 way on the Expality to the Tracker in the Visette
Pin out for the Sensor T2 Tracker - 15 way on the Expality to the Tracker in the Joystick.

Paths of cables.

Lengths of cables.

I will then work on the rest of the pin outs on the Expality external connections to the Credit Control, the External Monitor and the Control Panel - and anything else.

So I hope tonight the Main cable info will be available. and within a couple of weeks, the complete wiring loom will be available.

If there is ANY other information that you are after - please ask me, and I will try to help.

Simon
gridrunner View Drop Down
Ex-lurker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gridrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 1:17pm
Hi Simon,

that sounds great. It'll certainly help me understand my own wiring situation.

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 1:51pm
GR,
I hope I can really help you, and others!

I hope that we can meet up in Wolverhampton!

I will finish the main loom tonight, and put it back in the system ( that reminds me - I need to grab some tie-wraps form work :P )

I will do my best to post later the pictures and info. 

did u get my email with the manuals ?

Simon
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 9:28pm
Hi Guys

Another update...
I have finished making my video conversion box, to convert CGA to VGA.

Here are a few pics of the work.

I had to get the main cable loom out of the system, to help reverse engineer the pin outs. To remove that cable, I found it much easier to take the main ring off.

I am also making up my own version of the service manual. It will contain all the pin outs- including my conversion kit, and generally a complete strip-down and rebuild, so if anyone wants to take the ring off, separate the base, remove the ring support pods, and if I can get round to actually doing this too - the main console pod too! ( this one seems REALLY awkward and probably unnecessary )

The pics include the ring removed, the rear mechanism, the Expality in bits to clean off the battery corrosion, and my video conversion box, and the new screens for my Visette.

A note about Visette Voltages below!

Battery Corrosion.

Amiga 3000 Mother Board. ( Battery Removed )

Washed with diluted White Vinegar, and a soft toothbrush - much better!

Board drying - 5 days by Radiator.

Back of the Stripped Amiga 3000 ( with my cat helping! )

New Screen - 640x320 res ( old was 276x372 )

A nice fit!

Perfect!

Back of the Expality 2000.

Inside the back of the Expality 2000 - stripped down.

Back of machine - Ring removed.

Front of machine - ring removed.

Main Cable Loom,

My magic Video Box... Kinda works - need to slightly mod it....

Back of my Video Box - Visette Connection.

Finished box - but I have added an external video port since the photo.

Also,  since the photo, I have blown one of the video boards.

I mentioned that the output voltage on the Visette connection is 5v, and the service manual says 9v.
Well, when waiting for a `credit`, the system does give out 5v!! BUT as soon as a credit is inserted, it increases to 9v! ( pins 5,6,18 on left and right Visette ports)

I blew one on of the video conversion boards, when  I was testing! Two more are on the way to me now, as I suspect the second board too.
When they arrive in the week, I will replace both boards with the new ones, and then reconfigure the wiring in the visette for the new screens.
The remaining ( suspect ) board will be used on the external display, which I hope to mount like a 7 inch display on the front of the ring. - That will involve taking the ring apart to run the cables though.. so its still just a thought for now... 

Your ideas?

Simon
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 11:48am
Nice modding on the converters for the new screens Simon Thumbs Up

So what image does the external display show? Is there a different image sent to each eye in the headset or is it just one screen?

Edited by smarty - 03 Feb 2013 at 11:50am
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
- Atari Pole Position PCB's.
trm View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Who loves you, and who do you love?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote trm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 2:43pm
Ace write up dude!
There'll be no accusations,
Just friendly crustaceans,
Under the seaaaaaa!
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 4:51pm
Thanks Tim :D

The new manual is getting along great at the mo! - I`ll email it when its done.

As the new screens have two composite inputs, and automatically switch to the second input when its on, then back when its off, I am thinking of adding a small PC in the machine base, so that I can also play more up-to-date games :) - thats months away yet tho:)

Smarty :
I had to mod the screens due to the originals not working. The system does have 2 screens, and gives a slightly different image to each screen, to help the `3d` effect.
As for the external display, I will be feeding it from the left screen. The system has a monitor port at the rear, but this is a 9pin CGA connection. It can be converted to a Scart for a TV, but I will be modding mine for a VGA PC monitor. This also feeds from the left image as far a I know.

I will be adding the conversion wiring to my manual.

If more than one screen is connected to the original external output, it can damage the system. I am bypassing that risk, by connecting my external composite signal AFTER the conversion board, so its not pulling from the system. The `to be` VGA connection, again will be through a conversion board - that can have two VGA outputs anyway!

All,

Once I have tested the system working, I will try to find time, so I can strip it completely and photograph it all.
I have already taken many photos for my new manual though.

Simon

Ex-lurker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gridrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 9:40pm
Hi Simon,
thanks for the update and a very neat job of your convertor box by the way. it's re-assuring that new LCDs can be found for the headsets. I'll be very interested to see the wiring diagram.
I haven't made a start on my system yet as I'm finishing up a bazfish mint konami simpsons that needs putting back together. The Virtuality is next on the list.
I'm going to have to think about how to route the polhemus wiring without the seats or any body assuming I get that far.
stu

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 10:42pm
This is crazy cool - glad new lcd screens fit as one of mine is a little pooped!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Ex-lurker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gridrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 10:46pm

Hi Simon,

would you mind getting some close up pics of the inside of your helmet? Mine needs some cosmetic work as the ear pads have been pulled off.

stu
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 11:16am
Hi guys!

Oll : The screens I have used are 3.5inch ones, that are used in cars, for a reversing camera system. They fit nice, but need video conversion. They are slightly bigger than the originals that are about 3.2inches, so the bracket that holds the screens also needs modding / remaking - or you will loose the outer edge of the image. Even if just one screen needs replacing, I woudl replace both anyway - so that they are both the same.

I will be making a wiring diagram of the conversion kit once I have mine fully working.

Stu: I will take pics of all the internal parts of the visette, as I will be working on mounting the LCD`s tonight I hope - if not Wednesday for sure.
I`ll do an original wiring diagram for the headset, and a new version that mine will be - prepared with the dual system input.

As for ear pads,  one of mine is very tatty and the other is missing anyway. My wife will be making new ones for me as she is good with her needle and thread and sewing machine :) - I`ll ask her to make more than 2 for me- if you want some too ?

If you are not sure - the visette can be removed from the cabling quite easy. The headpohe section detatches from the main visette, so the speakers are easily accessable.
I will take pics of how to remove the visette in this way, as the `official way` is to remove the visette with the complete main cable loom!

I`ll keep updating as often as I can :)

Simon
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 11:24am
Awesome stuff Simon.

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 11:48am

All,

If there is anything else I can help with on the VR machines, please let me know.

I now have the Virtual Reality Construction kit, and Virtual Reality Programmers Kit books and software. They are OLD, dos based, but I have been told that they may be able to help me program new games for the system - but thats a very slim posibility..... ( I`ll try! )

Guys, Let me know when you are working on your systems to revive them, and I will try to guide you if I can, where you need.
I will also see if I can make anything for your machines if you need ( costs may apply tho... )
Tho ear pads will be for free :D - I`ll let you know when done, and then PM me ur address for me to send them - I hope by the end of next week.

Simon
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 12:10pm
Get a piccy up of the books! Also where did you get them?

Also we have a guy on here that actually made the 3D cards for Virtuality - hopefully he'll pop up and say Hi.

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 12:37pm
I`ll send a pic on here tonight
the books have not arrived yet - from Amazon,  but my friend sent me pictures of the books so I knew which ones to buy.

I`ll put those pics up tonight, but they are not too clear.

As for the guy who made the cards  - I hope we can meet him at the revival. I will deffinatley be there on  the Saturday, so I hope that you, Stu and Tim at least are there for me to meet :)

Simon
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 7:28pm
My VR programming books that are on the way :)

:)

Simon

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by gridrunner gridrunner wrote:

Hi Simon,

would you mind getting some close up pics of the inside of your helmet? Mine needs some cosmetic work as the ear pads have been pulled off.

stu

Pics of his what??
We are the 45
Ex-lurker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gridrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 10:01pm
Hi Guys,
the good news is that books on VR are abundant and cheap on the second hand market. I've got Virtual Reality Technology (Grigore Burdea, Philippe Coiffet) next to me and a bunch of other books on my book shelf. A particularly good read is experiments in virtual reality by david harrison and mark jaques.
check out www.abebooks.co.uk as a great source of second hand online books. Most academic VR texts will set you back a fiver at most.

stu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic