ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

VR Machine Repair Undate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gridrunner View Drop Down
Ex-lurker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gridrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 10:08pm

This is what my helmet looks like....

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 4:58pm
YAY!

New video converter boards arrived today!

I hope to get my `box of tricks` finished, then all I have to do is mount the LCD`s.....

then a working system again!

Simon
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 12:45am
Loving the updates!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 7:04am

Pics comming at weekend, but heres a quick update...

`Box of tricks` re-wired
Main Visette Cable re-configured
LCD`s plugged in and tested ( a bit of fine tuning required - Left output is missing Green signal - easy fix )
Audio in visette not working - easy fix, I assume I miss counted the pins to connect to :P
LCD`s now on the new mounts
Video assembly built and placed in visette - but not turned on yet... planned to be turned on tomorrow night
Looks like they line up fine :)

All being well - system should be up an running at the weekend!

Just one question to all the current/previous VR owners :
Do I really need to turn the Expality on after fans and off before the mains switch ?

I ask as I worry that the LCD`s were blown when I turned it off at the mains - with the expailty still on. The amp capacitors discharged and `popped` the speakers ( as they do on amps ) - but I worry that was the cause of the LCD`s blowing.  So now I never turn the system off at the mains unless the expality has shut down.

Is it generally safe to keep the Expality on, and just use the mains switch ?

Thanks

Simon

Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 10:38pm
Re: the Amiga batteries, in my experience fit a cr2032 and holder with a diode on it to stop charging. These are now available on eBay on a small PCB to get the pin spacing right to fit in the old battery location.

Great work so far!
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 10:57pm
hey guys!

System is up and running!

Pics tomorrow :D:D:

Simon
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 7:21pm
Hi Guys!

Ok, here are some pics of the latest work on my VR machine!

The New LCDs, ready to be used :)

First test on the LCD - interference on the display though - sorted with shielded cable later.

Close up of the LCD - in reverse of course due to lack of mirror thats in the Visette.

The new LCD mounts, as the originals were not compatible with the new LCD`s

Reconfigured Cabling for within the Visette.

The test fit of the LCD cases.

LCD Mounts painted, LCDS in place, and new mirrors as I scratch the originals.

Looking into the mirrors.

Perfect fit! :D

`Box of Tricks`, for converting the video signal, on the side of the Expality Computer.

The first dual screen test run!

A couple of extra LCD pics.

Side Covers back on!

Modding the Visette connection wiring to accept the new configuration.

All built, tested and fully working!

Best shot I could take through the Visette lens with my Camera!
A hint of ghosting : that is due to the image from the LCD being reflected from both the front and back face of the new mirrors. I have sourced a better mirror that I will replace these with soon.

And the last one - my son playing a VR game for the first time! The machine is 3 years older than he is!Sorry about the night pic, I have to wheel the machine out to play it as the height of the garage is too low to play!

And heres one of my old Amiga 500, with a newly purchased A570 CD drive  - that I plan to use to replace the one on the VR machine - if I cant fix it, as it keeps blowing its internal fuse.

I hope you all like the pics!

More to come when I do more work on it!

Also, my version of the service manual is coming on well too!
Almost done... I just need to add my mods to the back of it!

Simon!
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 9:37pm
This is an EPIC THREAD
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 10:23pm
:D:D:D Thanks!!!!!

I`ll keep updating when and where I can..

Simon
boyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote boyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 12:11am
Would you be up for bringing this to our Revival event in May in Wolverhamton? www.revivalretroevents.com

Edited by boyo - 21 Feb 2013 at 12:11am
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 7:38am
Das Awesome

Surely can't be many bar this one, fully operational in the UK?
We are the 45
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 10:38am
I`d love to be able to take it to the Revival Event, but I dont have the transport for it :/

I hope to arrange something so I can take it to the next event.

I will be attending anyway !
trm View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Who loves you, and who do you love?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote trm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 1:07pm
Excellent work Simon :) Really well done!
There'll be no accusations,
Just friendly crustaceans,
Under the seaaaaaa!
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 1:22pm
Thanks!

I hope to help anyone to get their machine going too!

Simon
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 1:28pm
PS......

in that green box under my Amiga, is some of the parts for Johnny Five.... I`m making a replica, along with some friends from all over ther world, ( well UK & USA )

I`ll put some pics up on the right part of the forum later in the week.

Simon
SimonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by simon_m74 simon_m74 wrote:

I`d love to be able to take it to the Revival Event, but I dont have the transport for it :/

I hope to arrange something so I can take it to the next event.

I will be attending anyway !

I'm sure the transport issue can be fixed.
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 4:19pm
Simon,

How do you mean the transport can be fixed?

Simon
SimonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by simon_m74 simon_m74 wrote:

Simon,

How do you mean the transport can be fixed?

Simon

Talk to boyo - let him know your postcode and whether or not it can be taken apart or needs to go as is etc...

He is co-ordinating transport for several of the exhibitors, trying to limit the number of vans being hired etc.

BigBaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 4:32pm
Great thread and restoration, Long time since i played on one of these! I didn't realise they made such a little amount of them. 

At least having it in the garage gives you the comfort of not feeling like a nob with everyone laughing as they walk past sein as they always used to be on display next to a window (I think more people would have played on them if they were hidden away at the back of arcades with a little advertising to entice you in) 
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2013 at 4:51pm
Hi Baz

Thanks

I store it in the garage, but I due to the height of the garage roof, I need to wheel it out each time I want to play on it!
I dont mind people watching me play - I play it for my experience, not for the people watching :P
Lucky tho for security - my garage is set back, behind a large gate, so people cant see - other that the guy who lives opposite, while he hangs out the window having a smoke:P

I am working on adding an external screen, so that viewers can see what the player sees during the game.

After the Revival Event that it will be at, I plan to `mod` the machine a little more, after learning so much during its repair.

I have learned that the Hard Drives have more than one game installed.... Between mine, 1 of Gridrunner`s ( he has 2! ), and from the files that TRM had posted, I have access to most of the games now!
( if anyone has any other 1000 series HDD, I would love to share the data :)

I will be working on making my machine a multi-VR-game system, thats a combination of the stand up version as well as the site down configurations.

I have purchased retro analogue joysticks, pedals, steering wheels, to use as attachable options to my machine, to make it as universal as possible - without destroying the original.

I will post the update on here once I get it started :)

Simon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic