ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

VR Machine Repair Undate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 11:59pm
Just like to say thanks for bringing this to Revival dude and well done on the work you have put into it
We are the 45
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by IDCHAPPY IDCHAPPY wrote:

Just like to say thanks for bringing this to Revival dude and well done on the work you have put into it

Thanks Ian,

It was a pleasure bringing it!  but also Thanks to all involved in getting the machine to Revival ( and back home again! )

I am still feeling overwhelmed from the weekend! lol

I cannot wait for the next Revival and do it all over again!! lol
www.retro-vr.co.uk - on its way!
www.bettybeebooks.co.uk - Childrens books for simple life skills!!

pooman2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pooman2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:51pm
Great machine, and great patience talking everyone through how to play ALL weekend.

Cheers for bringing it dude!

Thumbs Up
Pete View Drop Down
User
User
Dear GamesMaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 2:59pm
How many games were there for it ?
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by pooman2084 pooman2084 wrote:

Great machine, and great patience talking everyone through how to play ALL weekend.

Cheers for bringing it dude!

Thumbs Up

Thanks!

I am so happy too that everyone enjoyed it!
I will make a return on Revival 2014! :D

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Pete Pete wrote:

How many games were there for it ?

As far as I know, the stand up machine had about 4 games, and the sitdown had around 5 or 6.

I have most of them, so I hope to have some more on it for next year`s Revival.

SimonH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimonH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 4:30pm
Was great to see it at Revival 2013.

Can you do me a favour and next time it is in bits, take the Expality apart and do some close up photos of the two graphics cards and the ethernet card.

It may be that the graphics cards are NOT custom but one of the few standard Zorro III cards based on the TI chipset - likewise the ethernet controller could just be a standard Zorro II/III interface card.

Would be good to plan for failures and see what stock parts this system actually uses!.

The I/O may just be a stock expander with multiple high-speed serial ports....

simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by SimonH SimonH wrote:

Was great to see it at Revival 2013.

Can you do me a favour and next time it is in bits, take the Expality apart and do some close up photos of the two graphics cards and the ethernet card.

It may be that the graphics cards are NOT custom but one of the few standard Zorro III cards based on the TI chipset - likewise the ethernet controller could just be a standard Zorro II/III interface card.

Would be good to plan for failures and see what stock parts this system actually uses!.

The I/O may just be a stock expander with multiple high-speed serial ports....

Simon,  
I will sure - when I strip it down next. Should be soon, as I have just received the new CD drive for it today.
I also want to re-back up the HDD as I am not 100% confident that my original backup is good.

May be custom or not - unsure.  I`ll get pics when I can.

The network card is an ASDG Incorporated EB920 Board. I will get a pic, or bring it to RCM when you are there soon :)

The I/O Board is definitely custom for the system. It is made by W-Industries. I will grab a picture when I can.

I hope to see you again soon!

Simon

trm View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Who loves you, and who do you love?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 12:21pm
Hi Simon(s),

My VR thread has some gfx card shots - http://www.ukvac.com/forum/tims-virtuality-thread_topic332465.html about three quarters down the page.

They're a little blurry but enough to ID this as a custom dev. Unfortunately the gfx PCBs are at least a 3 layer process otherwise I'd scan them.

My Ethernet cards are also an ASDG model - LAN-Rover.
There'll be no accusations,
Just friendly crustaceans,
Under the seaaaaaa!
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 10:56pm
Still waiting for Doom on it though Tongue
We are the 45
ehague09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ehague09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 7:00pm
Glad i got to play on it at revival hope it will be a play expo 
simon_m74 View Drop Down
Virtually real!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote simon_m74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 3:34pm
Hi all

The VR machines` next event is `planned` at RCM`s event at Snibston Discovery Park, Leicester at Easter 2014. Only pencilled in there tho as it depends if I can get it there. I hope so! :D

A confirmed event is Revival 2014. 

I am picking up some more VR kit at the weekend. It is basically just spare parts though. Although with that, I will hope to test the networking between my VR and the `mockup` I will build from the spares.
Once that is confirmed - ready to connect my VR to Alphas` VR at Revival 2014 - I will continue to re-instate the `spare parts` into a sit down system, so I can play the sit down games that I have.

if that works, I will try to get a racing seat, with steering and pedals, set up with the VR computer under the seat, to make a `compact` sit down VR system - ready for Revival 2014.....

Watch this space!  I will post up all the work I perform on testing the networking, the `test` system for other games, and then the sit down frame and build.

Simon

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2013 at 4:01pm
Clap Excellent update buddy
We are the 45
V8Griff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote V8Griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2014 at 10:15am
Very late to this thread but the graphics cards were VERY custom.

Remember this all dates from 1991 and everything around at that time was 2D. I know the later Ultra-scaler cards for the 2000 series were made by a company called Datapath (http://www.datapath.co.uk/) who made cards for the air-traffic control industry who used (for the time) VERY high resolution CRT screens. I'm thinking they built these as well but it's a long time ago now.... :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic