Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Where did all the games go??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where did all the games go??
    Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 8:03pm
Been a long time member and pop in from time to time I just have one quick question…. Where are all the games for sale ????? This forum was full of cabs week after week, just seem dead for machine :(
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 8:16pm
ArcAids spreads fast with no cure that we know of. Embarrassed

Wrong section maybe? 
yorkshire_spam View Drop Down
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yorkshire_spam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by The seeker The seeker wrote:

Been a long time member and pop in from time to time I just have one quick question…. Where are all the games for sale ????? This forum was full of cabs week after week, just seem dead for machine :(

People got sick of cabs they thought were being sold to other collectors being flipped onto eBay at silly money?
Prices got silly and cab availability tightened up so people are more reluctant to part with their cabs?
People want "full market value" so are more likely to sell on eBay than here?
thegreathopper View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote thegreathopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 8:34pm
I think it’s due to all the retro arcades opening up, not just in the UK. Cabs and pcb’s all hoovered up.

mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 9:32pm
Id say everyone's noticed this to one extent or the other. There are still things popping up for sale, but a lot less than before.

It's the price of stuff, combined with speculation. I was saying in another thread that people better be careful about pricing the hobby out of existence, and I meant it.

There's a good few games I'd like to get, cabinets and pcbs, but they've gone so expensive it's basically not going to happen. And the flipside of that, is that I'm now very unlikely to sell anything myself because what I have I want, and would never get back without paying through the arse. The easy-come easy-go stuff is over.

Everyone holding onto sought-after expensive games (including myself) had better be careful, because one day we might wake up and there won't be anyone to sell to because the "flow" has dried up. But that's the way everything goes, knowing it won't change it, but it's nice to be aware for its own sake.
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 9:34pm
I think its more the fact that people are hanging onto things. Once you've got your dream lineup of cabs, you don't want to let them go.
John Bennett View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 9:54pm
In addition, I think years ago there were piles of cheap machines and boards for sale as folk had skiploads of them from operators and arcades. Those days are long gone. 

The well has dried up.

Edited by John Bennett - 05 Dec 2021 at 9:55pm
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 9:56pm
The barcade boom will definitely have had an impact.
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 10:07pm
Yeh as said we all noticed it , multiple things causing it. Even faulty are not coming up anymore and when they do they are silly money.

Most people , i assume, are thinking "Why sell at forum prices when they just get flipped on ebay" at this point you may as well stick in on there yourself.

I hate ebay and am unsure about selling on here now so i am basically keeping them all. Even duplicates at the minute.

If someone sticks a wanted up and i know them and have the board i will then let it go at a good price.

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by thegreathopper thegreathopper wrote:

I think it’s due to all the retro arcades opening up, not just in the UK. Cabs and pcb’s all hoovered up.

I think this is definitely the main reason. Cabs have been hoovered up by arcades for many years now on here, Ebay, Facebook and in turn that makes it more difficult for collector's to buy machines as (a) they are thin on the ground, and (b) any that appear are more expensive due to how few are available and if you can't buy new cabs very easily you are less likely to sell any of yours.

Another reason is that there are a lot more collectors now than there was 10 years ago.
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 10:15pm
Agree with what most have said. Do I play my Simpsons everyday? No. But if I sell it then I know I will never ever get it back in the same condition at anywhere near the same price. Prices are bananas even in the short time I have been in the hobby. You seem to get a fair few chip shop jamma cabs still. But dedicates are few and far between.

It's a collect and keep hobby ok now over one built upon trading.
Big Apple 3am
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 11:17pm
Nice cabs at sensible prices do still pop up from time to time, but not nearly so often, these days. Been watching a bit of a hidden gem on ebay that's surprised me hasn't had much higher bidding, with not long to go. Probably go mental in the last minute, though. LOL
The seeker View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 11:35pm
Jobs f**ked
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 12:34am
It’s all been hoovered up by the retro arcades
I guess you can’t have it every way
We would all love to walk into the old arcades we went to and the old cabs still be there
That simply couldn’t happen as it made no money ,so the cabs were sold to enthusiasts
Now the retro arcades are thriving and are buying them back ,it should be a good thing ?
There’s more cabs about now than there has been ,with imports from USA etc
Your very unlikely to pick up 50 quid working cabs anymore locally ,but if you want something really hard to find .They are available ,albeit you will have to pay the bigger price

lix View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 1:46am
I think the answer is right in front of you, it's the internet, it's forums like this, it's Facebook pictures and youtube videos of mancaves full of arcade machines that 'inspires' like minded people to follow the same path.

It's a case of "He's got an Outrun in his Mancave, I WANT AN OUTRUN IN MY MANCAVE ALSO!"

The more people see it, the more people want it. And when they get it they show it off to others, perpetuating it even further afield. 

I first started buying arcade machines and PCBs over 30 years ago when there wasn't any sniff of a scene or a hobby as it is like now and I've seen it change SO much, I couldn't even give cabs away as far back as 20 years ago. Being a finite resource, all the machines that are out there will become ever rarer now with the level of awareness that's going on, it's definitely never going back to what it once was.

Now I'm focussed on getting these games back into entertaining as many people as possible, like back in the good old days. I'de say that 98% of the games in mine and my brothers retro arcade were dead when purchased, having fixed all monitors and game board level faults myself. So I've no qualms hoovering up all the basket cases out there possible but even I'm finding that extremely difficult as people are placing high values on any old carp.

Some kid left our place today and said "That was amazing dad", so I'll certainly be buying more cabs when I can find them.

chubsta View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 10:02am
I think it is the arcades that have sprung up - cabs now have a commercial value again as all the new arcades compete to get the top games to bring the punters back. Even with the increase in cabs from the US there are just not enough to go around any more.
On the one hand, for people like me who sold our cabs just a few years ago for a fraction of their current value, it is annoying, but on the other hand, it is giving many more people the opportunity to actually play the cabs - instead of each of us only really being able to play the cabs we owned (and even then maintenance was a pain) we now have access to huge numbers. often games we had no chance of ever owning.

The market is almost like it was back in the Golden Age - to play arcade machines you need to go to an arcade unless you are wealthy. I am sure the circle will continue again as we all get older and they will become cheaper again due to the current 'arcade boom' fizzling out, and also once the arcades have all the games they need they won't be buying them up any more so demand should drop a little, particularly at the high prices they are willing to pay

Edited by chubsta - 06 Dec 2021 at 10:09am
ocb View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 12:09pm
I haven't been in the scene as long as many, but been long enough I've also been a bit surprised by the "sudden" lack of cabs on the market - although it's something my pinball mate and I have both said in the past would eventually happen.

Agree with most of the comments about the "why", although I'd add these:
-> Covid had people at home a lot longer than before. Just a guess, but maybe guys of a certain age used it as motivation to finally get round to sorting out their mancave/extension etc?

-> Covid - folks weren't going on holiday, restaurants etc. For some that meant extra dosh in the bank...and after having built their mancave....and then spending too much time on eBay and forums?

-> More idiots getting into buying cabs, ripping the guts out and "upgrading" to 32 button/60k game monsters AngryCensoredDeadDisapproveCryPinch, especially when it was more economical to sacrifice an original cab than buy an MDF POS shell. There's a special place in hell for these people.

I have zero problem with people having man-caves with grail cabs in it BTW, especially if they are in NOS condition, but....

I kinda agree with the sentiment that I'd rather see cabs in retro-arcades/clubs, being enjoyed (and maintained) by enthusiasts for enthusiasts rather than hoarded. 

It's something I've been toying with for 3 or 4 years - and now I'm getting really close (well, probably as close as I'll ever get) to setting up an arcade club. Yeah, it annoying that it's gonna be impossible getting a line-up of great cabs at a price I can afford at start-up, or even a half-decent line-up in the first year or two. 

I'm hoping that my overall enjoyment of the hobby will go up by sharing the cabs I have - for myself by dedicating more time to this, but also watching a whole new generation enjoying the "arcade scene" + also bringing back some fond memories for those who were "there" BITD...Embarrassed

1001 things could still get in the way of me setting up a club btw - including me bottling it..and especially with Covid, it's hard for anyone trying to do anything like this...
Coin-op addict 1976-1983, 88-92, 2014-Present. Regional Atari (Pac-Man) Champion 1982. Utter failure at consoles & handhelds.WANTED - ATARI BREAKOUT RF CAGE!!!
Infurious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infurious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by lix lix wrote:

Now I'm focussed on getting these games back into entertaining as many people as possible, like back in the good old days. I'de say that 98% of the games in mine and my brothers retro arcade were dead when purchased, having fixed all monitors and game board level faults myself. So I've no qualms hoovering up all the basket cases out there possible but even I'm finding that extremely difficult as people are placing high values on any old carp.

Some kid left our place today and said "That was amazing dad", so I'll certainly be buying more cabs when I can find them.

Looks interesting. How many cabs do you have? Spotted a couple of pins in there too.
Always looking dead, defunct, or stripped arcade PCBs.
69er View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 2:08pm
we have tried keep a few video cabs working in arcades , holiday parks , bowling alleys, pubs where appropriate but only the top attracting games are more in demand than additional beer/food tables especially now with spaced out seating and restricted opening for larger crowds

nice to see.... i think Warrington retro arcade might be open again as i have some complementary tickets somewhere from supplying him with the odd classic ( hope they are still valid as he shut for a while in COVID times)

games like time crisis l- ll - lll twin all still hold there own and fast n furious twin motorbikes do quite well as do mario cart and need for speed drivers and some twin shooters too.... but they are all pretty big and when they breakdown they are often off for a while to get a fix. 

so dont always warrant space and hard to sell on not least transporting them ( no one wanted our F-zero  at 10 ft long and 7 ft high lucky we traded it on a toy crane  for very little money)  

thus as said by lix & ocb there were many games 15-20 years ago that you could not give away or even get anyone interested in and we had some BIG BONFIRES over the years till we got recommended to join jammaplus about twelve years back by forcefulfil when he had our last midway invader and moved here to ukvac about 10 years ago too .......no regrets there as ITS GREAT TO FORUM CHAT and sort out odd problems for people and trade the odd item more so now as i have more time (i hope )

even now we tip 8 machines at a time tho mainly fruits / quizzes and big coin pushers /horse racers/roul;ettes etc as most houses dont have a door wide enough or level entry garage to roll them staright in HOWEVER we have had odd buyers struggle to get them in somehow ... windows /doors removed etc. 

i have got a couple of items on ebay this week pooltable and vintage  70s pinball because i hate putting a price on myself but a same model pin made £1120 two weeks ago i have asked for valuations on a few redundant videos to sell on here but only got replies mainly off buyers wanting them at 'MY PRICE ' and as they are mainly in need of repair i will perhaps get them fixed now first?  but a couple will be coming on HERE cheap as chips TO CLEAR just dont need wait for  someone till March next year to courier .  so buyers should be able collect or close by i might be able to deliver . if i can get help due to my health issues.......  NOW PRICES MIGHT MAKE YOU WANT SELL or BUY  they still make a good investment if you can find space and get them cheap enough ?  

when stuff got cremated in the garden here we did usually hang on to glasses and game pcbs etc for some time and thus have thousands of assorted bits and pieces SOME RARE SOME OF LITTLE ACTUAL VALUE but somebody might just need that one day ?   we dont burn so many now as we have an account with the recycling yard in ABERGELE near the 'celebrity castle' so just dump them and pay through the nose at about £120 per ton plus vat DRIVE IN WEIGH,  TIP & RE-WEIGH empty  'simples 

see 'tag line' below V  

undefeated arcade junk hoarder champion since 1977

IF YOU CHUCK IT AWAY YOU NEED IT THE NEXT DAY!!
mozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 4:02pm
There's loads on here who post on the fb page first too so if your not on that your not getting anything or else the sloppy seconds appear on here when no one wants them on the fb page
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic