ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Which paint to use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which paint to use?
    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:57pm
Just wondering what paint everyone uses on cabs? Black paint that is, was thinking oil based satin but some opinions on this might be best.
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 9:44pm
For all mine (scratch builds and restos) I've used bog standard Halfords. 
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 9:50pm
I found water based satin black alot better...some of the the oil based ones are really shiney
Ronseal 10 year satin black looks great just hard when using roller to get a good finish without lots of sanding.. few others mentioned spray

Edited by stegrey - 05 Jun 2018 at 10:05pm
*SMG*
Wanted: Daytona sitdown (plastic panel) Then please dont sell me any more cabs!!!

Mr Bond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 10:20pm
I’m not really a fan of spraying. Don’t mind doing the metalwork like coin doors etc with a rattle can, but prefer a roller for the main cab. Seen a few vids with short nap rollers vs foam rollers, and I’ve got some oil based satin but not used it yet. Wondering if to swap for water based, wasn’t sure if oil based was harder wearing or not but I know it takes forever to dry
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 10:25pm
I tested oil base on a cab and it looked terrible like i had used black gloss maybe it was just the make? But the water based one i mentioned looks close to vinyl
*SMG*
Wanted: Daytona sitdown (plastic panel) Then please dont sell me any more cabs!!!

funhouse View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 11:07pm
I've found Ronseal black woodstain great to fill in black matt areas. Woodstain isn't as opaque or as glossy as normal paints so it can often blend in well.

Edited by funhouse - 05 Jun 2018 at 11:09pm
Mr Bond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 8:43am
I’m painting onto the black laminate so does this affect which paint to use? Obviously will have a good rub down. I bought B&Q paint but they have the same in water based
funhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 8:58am
Can you do some tests on a similar surface, let them dry and compare? That way you will know if you like the finish before you cover the original. You can get tester pots which are cheap to help you decide.
Mr Bond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Bond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:28am
Yeah that’s prob best. Don’t wanna paint the whole cab and then
realise it looks sh*te. The painter at work painted the bog doors lol. They’re white formica and covered in graffiti so painted them black. Finish looked great. He said he didn’t even sand and painted with a nap roller (not foam) and used wilko oil based satin. But I’m not taking his word for it I’d rather test first like you say.

Edited by Mr Bond - 06 Jun 2018 at 9:29am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic