ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who on the VAC was first to own an arcade machine?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Who on the VAC was first to own an arcade machine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZeroSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:06pm
I want to know who was the first person to drink a bottle of cider on UKVac Wink

Edited by ZeroSum - 06 Jun 2018 at 10:17pm
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:08pm
First ever PCB 1997 - Rabbit Punch

First ever cab 1998 - two JAMMA cabs, and then in about three months that turned into about 10 from the same Op
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

phillv85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:11pm
Some of you guys have had cabs longer than I've been alive!
char1ie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote char1ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:22pm
May bank holiday 1988 = Asteroids. I was 17, then I went on a splurge and bought loads.
giantkeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giantkeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 11:18pm
ZeroSum- I started drinking cider when i was 15, so that would have been 1983! I then 'progressed' to snakebites!
ZeroSum View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZeroSum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 2:46am
Originally posted by giantkeeling giantkeeling wrote:

ZeroSum- I started drinking cider when i was 15, so that would have been 1983! I then 'progressed' to snakebites!

Oh Snakebite is hardcore Dead

But i beat you Tongue I had my first bottle in 1994 when i was 14.

I prefer a shot of whiskey now Smile

Edited by ZeroSum - 07 Jun 2018 at 2:47am
Bazfish View Drop Down
Lover of Blue Elephants

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bazfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 7:55am
Could not resist this one... Missile Command Caberet.. 1985. Swapped it for a Jennings one arm bandit. Confused

Done the deal with a neighbor who was an mobile op with games on sites all over London.. he had a highly racist massive Doberman that went with him everywhere in a brand new hi top transit!

Happy Days Cool
uberpixel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uberpixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:00am
Between 1984/6 to 1989, my parents owned a chinese takeaway in Kilburn, London and I was fortunate enough to have arcade cabs on-site. We had Missile Command, Scramble, Pac-man, Amidar, Burger Time, Defender amongst others on rotation.

Even though we didn't own them, it felt like I had my own personal arcade! :)
Own: Sega Blast City, Taito Egret II, Sega Mushi King x2, Sega Dino King
Want: Egret II, Sega Dino King/Love & Berry cab(s), Sega Aero Table, lottery win
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:57am
1986 - Asteroids Cocktail.  We lived in a pub and it was in the staff room from new.   After it broke I 'acquired' it with the vague notion of fixing it.  With my basic soldering skills and zero knowledge/internet I didn't get very far.   I remember doing some basic connection tests and checking for power but beyond that nada.   When we left the pub we couldn't take it (and no one else wanted it) so I had to break it up to go in a skip. Obviously feel a bit stupid now, I could have stripped it of parts at least.  
Robotgreg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robotgreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:17am
1992 - Joust for £100 from local arcade, Arcadia, Ryde Isle of Wight.  There was only on Joust on the island which started life at Rainbow Corner, Sandown and then I imagine got rotated around a few arcades before ending up in Ryde so was the same one I played BITD when it first came out:)  Still own.

Edited by Robotgreg - 07 Jun 2018 at 9:17am
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 9:27am
My first cab was back in 1988, a working bootleg PAC-MAN Taitonstyle cocktail which I found in Loot classifieds. It was in a pub which wanted shut of it.

I took my dads hatchback and went to get it (paid £30), put it in the back and shut the tailgate not checking for clearance. I shattered the rear tailgate window.

My Dad was pissed, but I got my first cab.

Never liked the Taito cocktails though, always thought the controls on the side was a bit odd and awkward.
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
Giddygoon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giddygoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 11:19am
My first cab was an Atari Dragon's Lair bought from some bloke in south London circa around 1992 Then bought another Dragon's Lair II in 1995 Stopped collecting cabs all together then got back into the hobby again in 2002 on-wards

Edited by Giddygoon - 07 Jun 2018 at 11:23am
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Outrun2 Outrun2 wrote:

Mine was an OutRun upright in 1999. Bought for 200 quid plus 40 shipping from Arcade Heaven in Maidstone, Kent. Long-termers will no doubt remember this place.

How prices changed!

Yes, I still have the cab

Good old Andy B. How many Outruns did he have!? :-) I remember going to the lockup and there were two two projects cabs for £50 each. I bought the upright and left the midi, kind of wish I had both now.

As for starting in this nonsense. 1993 Electrocoin Centi Upright with Robocop, Starforce and Twin Cobra, closely followed by Star Wars cockpit. I had actually been pestering my mother to get a SW cockpit since 1986/7 but she couldn';t persusade any ops to sell her one at the time. Sexism perhaps? :-)

Is anyone on here kepeing a tally of the earliest purchase? I think working in an arcade, pub or getting one from a relative/friend in the business might be an unfair advantage :-) I saw 1980 mentioned on here somewhere, that's pretty 'early'.
JohnBud View Drop Down
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 12:49pm
 i got my first pinball in the 80's it didn't have a playfield glass or legs but at iirc £25 i didn't care it still worked LOL first vid was in the 90's a 33" AMR cab. it cost me £250 from an op in glasgow. it came with a sf2 booty Cry. i don't like that game at all so i tried to do mame. yup it was fully loaded LOL 4 player 6 buttons and of course a trackball and spinner LOL i later killed it with fire Ouch
thesharkfactor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesharkfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 5:22pm
I remember that mame cab.. lol. You come a long way bud.. 

My 1st was late 2009, bought from steve/bonehead on J+.. it was a 6 button Xenon with a cps1/sf2t. I did a resto on that with sf2ww art kit, I think the pics are still on google images, folks have copied and used them for many things. Like most first cabs, it multiplied into 4-5 cabs but eventually the collection thinned and it was moved on..

EDIT; still on google images nearly a decade later!

Image result for sf2 cabinet 

Edited by thesharkfactor - 08 Jun 2018 at 5:23pm
griffo83x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 5:27pm
Got my first jamma cab in 1994 it was a Brent supreme 26"monitor 2 player 6 button and it came with sf champion edition cost me £200  was a awesome cab 
wanted video wizard/ Ec midi / similar jamma cab :)
superpacman1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superpacman1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2018 at 8:40pm
Taito Space Invader table top from a hotel in South Shore, Blackpool for £50 in 1986.  Was sweet and hardly used.  Lost keys, and some lockup in Blackpool had spares (back of Dickson Rd).  Always remember the place was stacked full of Taito cocktails on top of each other 3 high and the guy used to site them in hotels and B&Bs.  Must have been about a 100 in there that he wanted shot of them at the time, but back then you couldn't give them away, so probably most were scrapped.  Sold it for £50 too in about 1989 though, doh.Cry
char1ie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote char1ie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2018 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Giddygoon Giddygoon wrote:

My first cab was an Atari Dragon's Lair bought from some bloke in south London circa around 1992 Then bought another Dragon's Lair II in 1995 Stopped collecting cabs all together then got back into the hobby again in 2002 on-wards

From Desmond who lived in a small council block in Greenwich?

Charlie
d-type View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-type Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 11:23pm
First cab was in 1995 or 1996, an empty European Dig-Dig cab with no PCB that I got from Steve Huntley of Swallow Amusements in Havant for 40 quid.

It was on site with a Ms Pac-Man in it when I arrived, he whipped the PCB out and we put it in the van and off I went, very happy.

I fixed it all up back to standard, needed a new Bezel and PCB and a few other bits and sold it some years later for a couple of hundred, if memory serves me. 

Swallow's web site looks exactly the same now as it did back in the day, if it works, don't fix it!
P*h*i*l*l*i*p EEaattoon in real life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic