ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > Restoration Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Williams Funhouse Pinball Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Williams Funhouse Pinball Restoration
    Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:16pm
Having keenly watched Alpha1's thread on his IJ, I thought it only fair to start a similar thread around a pin I'm going to town on. Ironically I got this from Alpha1 and knew from the first pictures it was going to be quite a project! Heres a few of the photos supplied to Alpha1 from the seller:

Ouch! Can see already theres some peeling paint, fading of the body but worst of all Flipper wear between the flipeprs - argh! So having seen these all I did was say to Alpha1 I'd help collect it along with some others and check it out. Heres my "Hearse" just after boxing day picking up the Funhouse and a Jurassic Park (which wouldn't fit in Alpha1s car):

Impressive hey? Anow... as I didn't know I was going to be doing this thread, I set them both up at my unit and started assessing them and seeing what the hell they'd do when plugged in! More annoyingly I didnt take any pictures before I started as the machine had obviously been stored without its glass for decades, and the ramps, scoops and rudys mouth were full of schredded instruction cards and had obviously been a home to mice! Also the playfield beyond the flipper wear is wrecked by fading, and worse the pints having gone brown and cracked!
Like I say, annoyed I ddint take pictures back then as it was hilarious. I applied power and the machine did somehting but was clear it had a pcb issue - turned out both the +5 and +12 bridges were screwed along with most of the solenoid transistors so I've fixed those and the next set of pictures show the machine booting the day after collection with no errors!!

Eww! Look at that terrible playfield - check out its nastiness and heh one picture shows Rudy with some mouse-home still in his gob:

Knackered to buggery! But at least it boots and is working! Thats a start. Anyhow, I did a trade with Alpha1 and let the buying commence!

Although originally I wasnt going to go mad on it, I seem to be rapidly heading that way. WHilst they havent arrived, I spotted on French eBay someone selling FH decals at a half decent price (about £110!) so I've taken the plunge and made a deal with the seller of a full refund if when they arrive Im unhappy and indeed if good i'll start getting other decals for the community from him andd be a UK agent for him :) They'll be here on Monday going by the tracking but the next pictures, the first from the auction and the second of the print quality and vectoring detail are included as they could be of interest to someone else!

Nice vectoring! I've done a pile myself so I can see that looks not bad effort!

Ad for the playfield, I bought one from a collector on the forums and at the moment its been sent to Matt Adams to get repaired and clearcoated - heres some pics he's taken of it:

Cost me £100 but from first looks it looks alright. Bad news is more detailled pictures when shown to the guys Matt gets to paint and repair thinks its not worth it and "not on his Nelly" would he bother as its large areas, with planking and not worht the effort to paraphrase his opinions. Heres a couple of close ups...

Gtes a bit scray doesnt it? Ball swirls, cracks in the varnish, holes and perhaps planking (not that I can massively see that)... So if he wont repair it, theres little point clearcoating it, and dunno how much might come out with polishing/cleaning... So a bit perplexed wether to bother if I'm going to do a total playfield swap - maybe I should bite the bullet and buy a new repro - doen't help that a pin chum has sone sitting there but at a eye-watering £600 price tag - check out these pics to see why its so tempting to splash out and cut my losses on this one...

Sure looks pretty hey? SO tempted to just say hang it!

I've also purchased a pile of stuff which I'll photo when I'm next down the unit, but the only thing here is a complete new Plastic set I picked up from Pinball heaven:

As I say I've purchased new scoops, slingshots, ramp flaps (please god stop me for spening more on brand new repro ramps!!!) along with flipper reuild kits, new coils, Rudy repair kits and gawd knows what else!

If any of our USA residents would be willing for me to have some colour-matched paint ordered from here http://www.pinballuniverse.com/PinballPaints.htm - I'd sure like to get some of the blue to do the the backbox front and inner sides prior to the decalls which I'm tempted ot attempt myself!! But they wont ship to the UK - so cummon somone in the States - help us out! :) 

More pics incoming! Sleepy

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:34pm
Glad it is in safe hands! Would have loved to have taken it on, but after IJ I have more than enough to be getting on with!

Really looking forward to the next update!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 4:06pm
Great thread
We are the 45
jugemscloud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jugemscloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 6:58pm
will be watching with interest.  ive got one myself that i rescued from a non damp proofed garage a couple of years ago. took it apart with the intention of a full rebuild due to rust and mildew from damp. nothing major wrong just general disrepair from it not being maintained - right ramp and scoreboard needed replaced, a flipper re-built and touch ups to the playfield, though was going to go the full hog on that to get it like new as there was only really minor wear at a couple of ramp exits, but has sat in pieces since (i wont be parting out please dont ask). there wasn't even the standard fading that you usually get with this but sat it facing a window for a couple of weeks and the front logo faded.
edit - i always think its a shame that 99% of repros dont have the ben-day dots for fading etc, adds so much character imo

best of luck

Edited by jugemscloud - 02 Feb 2013 at 7:03pm
Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 1:10pm
Not allot to add at this stage - just a quick photo of the additional parts assembled so far:

Flipped rebuild kits, two lower coils (not got upper yet), scoop, new shooter rod, new trap door assemby, new back latch as its missing, three new flipped bats, Rudy head cogs and repair kit, Spare slingshot plastics, flipper caps, trap door plunger and two associated coils and new ramp flaps!

Edited by Ravage - 07 Feb 2013 at 1:10pm
pooman2084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pooman2084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 1:27pm
You should re-theme it as a Pat Sharp Funhouse.

It would give the Bill Paxton pinball a run for its money in the naffness stakes!

Twins multiball!

Edited by pooman2084 - 07 Feb 2013 at 1:30pm
Deathrow View Drop Down
Boom boom POW!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deathrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 8:54pm
Another 'one to watch' thread.

Looking forward to updates Thumbs Up
why cant we all just get along? ;)
Hwoolmore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hwoolmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:28pm
Hello mate, Great to see your cracking on with your Funhouse.
I am mid way through mine currently, 
I was wondering if you was able to post a picture of how your "tickets switch cover behind rudy" is screwed into the upper ramp as mine was missing and the replacement doesn't seem to fit right. Also mine was missing the slingshot posts and would really appreciate it if you could take a picture of the slingshot area with no plastic on?

Thank you in advanced Smile

Harry
Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 10:25pm
Ok... Before I lose the plot I gotta do something else than programming today!

So, to try and lift my mood - heres an update to the "progress" on this bad boy...

My friend Manny at Woodtech Workshop has re-decalled a cabinet for me with stencils I bought. Words are hard to say how great quality his work is - I hope these pics reveal just how good:

As you can see, it positively glows! The decals weren't the pukka ones out there and were much cheaper, in hindsight I wouldnt have cut this corner, but seen on its own it looks great!

If you didnt intimately know the artowkr, or didnt have the artwork side-by-side you'd be hard pressed to see the errors - but basically the copier of the artwork didnt add depth/thickness to the lines... But hey - looks 100 time sbetter than the shed the machines in now!

Manhy has sprayed the cabinet in and out, new braiding, chrome grilles - not bad hey?

Quick close up of the backbox for clarity....

And Manny's attention to detail- meticulous recreation of the backbox warning text!

Ok - enough of the luscious cab... What else is new?

Whats that on the Fish Tales????

Firstly, Manny has produced me a reproduction light insert door at no extra charge! He can knock these out for a decent amount (under £50)- no burns, no sagging - a nice extra!!!

But this is the big boy! A brand new reproduction playfield!!!! This has taken the machine to stellar levels!!! It shines in the dark. Its smoother than a babies butt! Its LUSH!

Its never going to be easy to show New vs. Old - but I sure hope that picture blows away the clarity, the colours, the beauty etc etc!

Ok, so another shot of old Vs. new... Say goodbye to that playfield wear!!!

... So thats its for now, as it stands this funhouse is about ready to start its resurrection from a working sh*theap to a radiant beauty!!!

Watch this space....

BristolMartin View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BristolMartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 10:48pm
Looking Awesome.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 10:51pm
I'll going grab the rails for you and drop them off next week!!

Sciddleybop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sciddleybop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 2:23am
Awesome dude. I too am mid way through a FH shop. Mines more of a shop than a resto as I can't afford to at the mo. I'll post pics on here when I get a chance. My cash is waiting for a taxi resto. I have new cab decals and ramps, just waiting on the CPR pf to ship. Matt Adams will also be doing the work,

Look forward to seeing the finished article. I'm on the look out for a new main ramp and rudy face ( looks like Stevie Wonder done his make up!) so if you can assist with any of those I'd be obliged!

Gaz
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 12:26pm
Massive bump as a I know this has got further than this!!

OTTOTHEMADANDEVIL View Drop Down
Will gyrate for Gyruss

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OTTOTHEMADANDEVIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:00pm
EL BUMPO!!!!

Its been 2 years! Whats the end result????
CHICKEN! FIGHT LIKE A ROBOT!
https://www.ataricollectors.co.uk
www.zaccaria.co.uk
WANTED: Gyruss Control Panel ANY condition.
Fuzzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 10:15am
Annual bump. Cool
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 10:33am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic