ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > Restoration Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Williams Indiana Jones WPC pinball restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Williams Indiana Jones WPC pinball restoration
    Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 3:26pm
So about 18 months ago I bought this Williams Indiana Jones pinball! Woot I hear you say. Here's a picture of it as it was in the Ops warehouse it was saved from.

I knew it was going to be a project and it was sold as so. From the picture you can see it's missing

Translite
Glass

From other pictures I recieved it was also missing the majority of its pcbs and it's DMD.

It was also missing some bits from the playfield - which when I recieved it realised it was a little more than I was expecting!

To be continued.

Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 4:17pm
So the plan is to gut the cabinet and get it sanded, primed and re-decaled and get the playfield stripped and rebuilt with new,nos and reproduction parts.

I pulled the pin out and started stripping it last night. Here's some pictures detailing the condition, both sides have faded but one side more than the other. Lots of wear and tear and there's a fricken 2" hole on one side of the cabinet.

If you look at the picture in the first post you'll see it isn't noticable. It was closed off with a metal clasp and nut and bolt.

Turns out German Ops would cut holes in their cabs and literally put a chain through them on location so there's one big lump of 8-10 machines and thus harder for them to get stolen.

Here's some pictures of the hole in the side!

Next up is removing the playfield from the cabinet and other parts to just leave a bare cabinet.

Stay tuned.

Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 9:13am
Excellent!! Looking forward to updates on this.
DMD Board Repairer
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 9:27am
Try www.pinballpcb.com if you need any new replacement parts - very good service/quality
andyman View Drop Down
always pull away from your face

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 9:46am
There's a big hole in the bottom too Shocked
"The person you were referring to is a short, shotgun wielding nutter with a vindictive streak 3 miles long. And a Star Wars cockpit "
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 12:44pm
I've seen all sorts with ops and pins, down in Teignmouth all the pins were in a custom built area with a tilted "platform" (for want of a better way to describe it! There were pin shaped cut outs in this platform and all the pins were in there so they didn't have any legs. Completely stopped any prospect of nudging the machines to keep the ball in play. Wouldn't have minded betting that they were also bolted to the platform through the bottom of the cab too!

I've also seen what you have above, with pins physically joined to each other with solid metal pipe. Stops all hope of theft, plus the nudging too...
andyman View Drop Down
always pull away from your face

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 4:35pm
Do people actually steal Pinball tables Shocked

"The person you were referring to is a short, shotgun wielding nutter with a vindictive streak 3 miles long. And a Star Wars cockpit "
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 9:11pm
updates coming, have loads of pix!

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:38am

So let's start stripping the cabinet. I need to untangle the wiring loom and feed it out of the head so I can pull the playfield out.

Scariest wiring loom EVER.

Serial sticker

Playfield nearly out

W00t! Finally out!

The inside of the cabinet is absolutely filthy.. With loads of random nuts and bolts...

Stay tuned..

Deathrow View Drop Down
Boom boom POW!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deathrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 11:15am
wow! thats a tangle of wires to figure out?

Great thread.
why cant we all just get along? ;)
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 1:24pm
Playfield
So let's take a look at the playfield..

So on initial inspection...

wireform rails have discoloured and are absolutely filthy
Missing slingshots
Missing flipper mechanisms
Loads of broken or missing plastics
IDOL head mechanism is missing entirely
plastic ruins is missing
3 bank drop targets appear to be missing
general dirt and grime
general random missing bits
Apron is in poor condition - missing a lot of the IJ stickers and also the 2 cards
Both planes are missing! Poop!
Pop bumpers are incomplete

On the plus side the playfield is in great condition, it is dirty but should polish up really nice, the only noticable marks are where the 3 bank drop targets are - a few small chips, but this is absolutely insignificant for an IJ playfield, it shows the pin didn't get much use, and appears to have been used as a donor to fix other IJ tables the Op had. It's a shame he didn't put the playfield glass back on after nicking parts off of it as it would have stayed a lot cleaner.

Next.. Assessment of underside of playfield. Stay tuned.

Edited by Alpha1 - 13 Aug 2012 at 3:21pm

Mesmeric_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mesmeric_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 2:38pm
I like this thread, I find myself hatching plans in my head, of how to fix things, even though it isn't my project LOL.

For odd small plastics, I can recommend the "transfer adhesive", method to make your own, if you can't find replacements.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 3:23pm
I am saving up for an an entire NOS plastics set Cool

I currently have 3 boxes of used, repro and nos parts i've gathered over the last 6 months, but I can't post pix until i've done my underside playfield segment so you'll have to wait!!

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 4:01pm
underside of the playfield
This shows the general status and condition of the underside. Mostly it's missing parts. From doing an assessment the following items are missing:

Pretty much all the lamps and bulbs!
lots of bulb holders
The opto pcbs for the ball trough
The underside mechanisms of the flippers
some flash lamp assemblies
the path of adventure pcb
bridge rectifier pcb
3 bank drop target assembly is hanging off and missing some of the drop targets as well as the pcb!
pop bumers are all knackered/scavenged for parts

Other than that we're all good!

The general condition of the assemblies under the playfield is good, which i'm very pleased about, however the entire playfield will be stripped to the wood and completely rebuilt to make it minty fresh so there will be time to really clean her up.

Next, parts missing from the cabinet and required sourcing parts list.

Stay tuned..

Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 4:34pm
Holy Mary....quite a bit missing then!
DMD Board Repairer
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Big Phil Big Phil wrote:

Holy Mary....quite a bit missing then!

Yeah. That's not the final list of missing bits either.

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 5:13pm
Inside the cabinet
Inside the cabinet it was clear some parts were missing.

Both flipper buttons and the flipper button optos
coin box
service switch assemblies

On top of this the coin door was pretty beaten up and that's before the cut wiring where someone nicked the service switch buttons.

Also the lockdown lever bar assembly was really really really beaten up. It is quite bent and mishapen.

You can see in the above and below pictures on the left side there's a big of wood missing. This will have to be replaced to match the other side.

When I was stripping the cabinet I really wasn't happy with the state of the speakers. The base speaker above was falling apart and the 2 speakers next to the DMD weren't much better. So I have decided to buy new speakers for her.

On top of this I have decided to buy a brand new coin door rather than restore the one on her.

So that updates the parts needed to:

Both flipper buttons and the flipper button optos
coin box
service switch assemblies
new coin door, switches and wiring
new lockdown assembly lever
new speakers for the entire cabinet
Fix the cabinet with the missing piece of wood

Next update soon.. stay tuned.

Edited by Alpha1 - 13 Aug 2012 at 5:15pm

ttcaven View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ttcaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 5:49pm
This looks like the kind of a starting point for a restoration project I would very very much like to take on after finishing at least one or two of my current projects (Xevious/Gauntlet/MidnightRun-to-MAME/ChaseHQ).

If only I could find a pinball in a similar condition with a reasonable/sane price, I would be all over it like you seem to be Smile

I'm very much looking forward for this resto to go on further Thumbs Up
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:32am
Originally posted by ttcaven ttcaven wrote:

This looks like the kind of a starting point for a restoration project I would very very much like to take on after finishing at least one or two of my current projects (Xevious/Gauntlet/MidnightRun-to-MAME/ChaseHQ).

If only I could find a pinball in a similar condition with a reasonable/sane price, I would be all over it like you seem to be Smile

I'm very much looking forward for this resto to go on further Thumbs Up

Yes I got this for a reasonable price, but I think it's going to cost quite a lot once I am finished! LOL

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:43am
Other missing parts
Just realised the backbox latch is totally munched and the clip is missing so i need new ones of those also Cry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic