Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Wiring LED light to power supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring LED light to power supply
    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 5:32pm
Hi all, I have a LED light that I'm looking to hook up to my cab, there the red and black wire, assuming positive and ground?

Has anyone had any experience doing this?

Thanks

Dan
campbell87 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:07pm
To replace the existing florescent marquee this is
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:42pm
Red for pos, black for neg sounds right. Just make sure you feed it the correct voltage - there are ones for various AC and DC voltages.
WANTED: Sega Cash Cube CP end plate. Click me for details!
bomjac View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:10pm
If it's a 12v LED then you should have 12v available from the psu. Simply run 2 wires up from the PSU to the led, one from +12v and one from gnd.

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:11pm
Thanks for the information guys. I'll try it out tomorrow.
tin View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:31pm
If you’re talking about the wires that run to the existing fluorescent, that’s likely 110v or 240v. Don’t wire that to your LED before you’ve checked it!
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:37pm
Ok, but I can run the 12v directly from the power supply, right? The wires are long enough.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 9:40pm
For reference it's a mortal Kombat 2 cabinet.
bomjac View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomjac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by campbell87 campbell87 wrote:

Ok, but I can run the 12v directly from the power supply, right? The wires are long enough.

Yep, just so long as you have 12v present and the led is 12v. I did it with my Sinistar a few years back as well as Joust last year. 12v LED strip, approx 500mm long.

Edited by bomjac - 16 Mar 2019 at 10:09pm
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:20pm
Yeah, there is 12v connected. Thanks again
Luigi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 10:38am
I've seen cabs where the regular marquee light was replaced with an ordinary LED lamp. It wqas simply connected to the same wires where the flourescent light used to be connected to. No need to hassle with getting wires from the power supply to the marquee area.

What LED light do you want to use? Pic? Datasheet?
t-m View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 11:13am
Yes some led lamps have a built in PSU and will take 240v, like the ones used in kitchen under cupboard lights.  You can also get a cheap led PSU for only a few quid that will run the strip without running power from the jamma switcher to the marquee.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 1:40pm
So from looking at the marquee fixture, there's a black wire and a white wire coming from the connector. If I wanted to connect these wires to the LED light, would it be the right thing to do? Assuming the LED is 240v
Luigi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:03am
Hard to tell without any pictures. Sometimes marquee lights are installed in one unit, sometimes the ballast is somewhere else and you don't want to hook up your LED light to the ballast Wink

So it would be a good idea to post a few pictures where the wiring of the marquee area can be seen.

Do you have a multimeter to measure AC voltage while powering the cab?

Edited by Luigi - 18 Mar 2019 at 9:04am
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 9:16am
Hi Luigi, 

i don't have a multi meter at the moment. I can post some pics later on today. Seems there are multiple ways to wire up lighting to the marquee. I have been reading up on bypassing the ballast completely to make it compatable for LED tubes. 

The ballast is on the actual fitting, il post some pics so you can take a look.

thanks

FrancoB View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrancoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:23am
A multimeter is a must in this hobby. You can pick one up for a few pounds and they're worth their weight in gold. It makes things like this 1000x easier and safer. 

You really shouldn't try and figure out voltages and how to wire things by looking at wire colours and photos alone.
tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:52am
If you have the right kind of LED fitting this is of course possible, one of my cabs has a replacement LED tube (meant for those incandescent tubes) that runs right off 240v, with the ballast etc bypassed. But it does depend all on exactly what you have.
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 10:55am
Thanks for the input guys, its much appreciated. Seems I've got a long way to go in this hobby. The cabs I've had in the past just work, never really had any problems like this previously.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 6:52pm
Luigi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 7:31am
Yes, this would work....but I guess it would not be the result you want. You might end up with a very bright horizontal strip of light in the middle of the marquee and far less brightness above and below that area (even dark at the upper and lower edges). If it was my cab I would rather install something like that:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parlat-Under-Cabinet-Light-Rigel-single/dp/B01BVLURKO/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1552980378&sr=8-18&keywords=led+cabinet+light

This will make the diffuse light you want in the marquee area.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic