Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Wonderboiy in Monsterland..???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Hi Score Admin
Hi Score Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 9:17am
I haven't dared poking around with the 839-0001 yet, maybe I give it a go later, I'm not home today and tomorrow..

Never the less, I think I keep the PCB, as it's working and it's pretty cool :D
Inside every tool is a hammer!
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 11:20am
Yeh it sure does look original when everything removed and as people of said maybe a proto. Certainly an interesting board. The bootlegger would never have gone to that much trouble with the Daughter board as it been done correct. No repairing that if I goes Boom ! Lol 

Good luck !

Dave. 
AKA Wonderboy.
Flinnster View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 9:59pm
The 839-0001 is fully documented here:
http://www.rep-arcade.com/2017/11/wonder-boy-in-monsterland-de-la-mort-qui-tue-sega.html

Someone even seems to have repro'd the pcb for it.

WTD: Outrun DLX cab, Rolling Thunder pcb
Parts WTD: Dino King Door, Coin Box, Coin Chute
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 10:26pm
Worked out that they have based the virtual console version on the 2nd English language bootleg Wink

If you splice the rom data from wbmlvc.zip into wbmlbg.zip, replacing the maincpu + tile data, then it all works fine (on Mame 0.158 on PC at least)

Just trying to get it running on the pi->jamma. No joy just as yet, because the wbmlbg rom wasn't part of the older mame romsets.

So in short, that board you have there is something rather nice I think! Thumbs Up

Edited by Flinnster - 02 Dec 2018 at 3:01am

keropi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keropi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 3:36pm
I got bit by the same seller.... unfortunately that guy is NOT to be trusted at all.
He is that guy: https://www.ebay.ie/usr/needfulthings_2000 

After asking 2 times I was assured I would get the same board that is pictured in his sale page: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/323577827269

This is again the same board Muerto was supposed to get:

so after I payed via IBAN on Friday the 7th of December this seller on Monday the 10th opend an unpaid item case on eBay. I was annoyed as you can imagine and was asking daily to check his bank account (he only accepted bank payments). I also provided the transfer receipt from my bank.
On Thursday the 13th he received the money but opened another case on ebay to CANCEL the order Angry , once again I was really annoyed and he told me "sure a mistake wait few days for delivery".
So each day after that (Friday - Saturday - Sunday) I sent a single message per day asking him about the tracking number. 
I never got a response and on Sunday I informed him I will open an eBay case.
Never heard anything back and he never updated any info whatsoever on eBay.

Today I received a package from him, containing this board:

Ofcourse it does not work (black screen) and ofcourse it is not the board I was "assured" I would get.
The large IC in the middle that is supposed to be a MCU or the 839-0001 "IC" is something really dirty, sanded down and pins 11 and 29 are cut so they don't make contact with the socket. At the bottom there is an attempt to make the 839-0001 connections - so I am not sure what the deal with the sanded IC is - most likely it's there as an attempt to scam me further.

Once 5 more days pass and I can select the option on eBay to have them investigate the sale I will do it, I payed good money for it immediately and I was treated like garbage. Angry
I have more than 800 feedback on eBay on the ~16 years I've been a member there this is the first time this happened to me.

I am writing this as a warning to others - because I see he sold some desirable games this month and I hope this will prevent people here to be lured to a very unpleasant situation. 

I am unsure if I will try to repair or mess with the board at all, most I will do is verify the roms. No idea how things will turn out in the end since paypal (a leverage in this situations) was not used...

edit:
I forgot to mention I am using the SEGA System 1/2 adapter found here: http://www.retro-games.com/sys12.htm

Edited by keropi - 21 Dec 2018 at 3:41pm
Muerto View Drop Down
Hi Score Admin
Hi Score Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muerto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 5:27pm
Damn, what a douche, after seeing this, I guess I was “lucky” to receive something...
Inside every tool is a hammer!
thesharkfactor View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesharkfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:04pm
That's a shame, sorry to hear the seller is a prick. I also got rammed when I tried to buy a WBML, I paid £100 to a guy and never got anything, that was on J+ forum, I too did a bank transfer and got nothing back.

I suspect this seller is at it, opening unpaid cases before you even receive the item stinks of trying to make it so you can't leave feedback after getting robbed.

Edited by thesharkfactor - 21 Dec 2018 at 7:05pm
keropi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keropi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:24pm
yes he is certainly shady and I will take it to ebay I won't leave it
some times I get this picture:

that's with the "mcu" removed , I can hear audio playing just fine, controls/credits work but there is a sync issue. 
The board doesn't always boot, so maybe there is a cold solder joint somewhere. I need to test it with my arcade monitor to be really sure it's not the supergun that has these sync issues.
But I don't hope for much...
cools View Drop Down
User
User
I joined ages ago honest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:31pm
Never use a bank transfer to buy anything unless you've already got the goods!
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
What an absolute a**e hole ! Tell him to collect it & refund !! File a complaint with ebay that the item is not as described (If he said it was working). This happens all the time on ebay. He doesn't have any bad feedback but most of it is stuff he has brought. Alwayss use Paypal for this reason ! Don't let it go keep chipping away.

Good luck, 

Dave.

Edited by TheDaddy - 21 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
AKA Wonderboy.
keropi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keropi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:37pm
^ see his feedback mate, there are people that got stuff in December as well ... plus IBAN was his only option. I have no idea why he was such a jerk to me. I just asked if the board for sale is the pictured one and hit the BIN button ...
the board is certainly not the same, different serials, different patch work, different ICs (see the mcu in the middle)

anyone has a link of this decrypted VC English romset that is supposed to be burned on the roms so I can verify it ? All the eproms are 27C256 ones... I know this is not it but maybe some eprom is busted and that's why the board doesn't always boot... 

Edited by keropi - 21 Dec 2018 at 7:38pm
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:40pm
I'll pm you the romset info.
I have it running on the pi now, it's totally fine. There was an oddball bug with the emulation image, which is now fixed.

John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:41pm
Is the 839-0001 an MCU on some boards,or is it just a set of tracks disguised as an IC, as in the photos from the first board in this thread. It may be fixable with just some wire.
The seller may be dodgy, but at least he’s missed a trick in selling that rather cool prototype.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:43pm
Yeah knowing sega it'll be a case of replacing the mcu with a straight z80 and running unencrypted main code on the eproms.
But.. the main Z80 should be at the top left corner of the PCB from the photos above, not in the middle, so I think JB is on the money.

Edited by Flinnster - 21 Dec 2018 at 7:44pm

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 7:45pm
Oh, and your ebay seller is still at it by the way:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Wonderboy-in-Monsterland-1987-Sega-original-Wonder-boy-2-arcade-pcb-working-II/323613799592?hash=item4b58e2b4a8:g:oYMAAOSwxg5XycHz:rk:1:pf:0

200+ for a conversion effectively...

MCU looks like an NEC D780C to me on the photo in that auction.

Edited by Flinnster - 21 Dec 2018 at 7:48pm

keropi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keropi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 8:51pm
he replied to my ebay case saying "he is still waiting for the money"
yes... suuuuure. He was waiting for 230eur but decided to send the package anyways.... such a nice fellow! (not!)

I have replied I will get an official bank statement signed and verified to provide to eBay since for him the online-banking receipt was not good enough and I also accused him that he is trying to avoid the fact he sold me a different non-working board.

From some reading I did the board I have already has a normal Z80-A in place IC55 , this is where the NEC security CPU was originally. 
The middle IC is just a bunch of connections, like Flinnster mentions some posts above. My board has some wires on the back side but it's not all of them as seen here: http://www.rep-arcade.com/2017/11/wonder-boy-in-monsterland-de-la-mort-qui-tue-sega.html

Also it appears that the decrypted+fixed 32kbyte romset discussed on AO forum has now been deleted from the web - I have no idea why and I'd like to burn a fresh set to test my board...

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesharkfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by keropi keropi wrote:

I will get an official bank statement signed and verified to provide to eBay....

Wasting your time, ebay won't/don't care and will do nothing, it's just an automated computer system. Your only voice is leaving poor seller ratings and negative feedback, but that's buggered because he has unpaid item'd you. If you want revenge,buy his cheapest item and pay with PayPal, then leave him sh*t reviews and one star and hassle him about with returns or not as described complaints. This is all you can do. Best move on.
keropi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keropi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 9:56pm
Sadly there is no paypal option, he does not accept it (and now it is really clear why).
I'll see where this all leads and update... I also don't hold my breath on this one but hope dies last they say LOL

User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesharkfactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 10:08pm
I was going to say how? But I see he is in Austria. Obviously they don't have to offer PayPal as a mandatory option. I would avoid.
GadgetFreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by John Bennett John Bennett wrote:

Is the 839-0001 an MCU on some boards,or is it just a set of tracks disguised as an IC, as in the photos from the first board in this thread.

That posted link has a slight problem! His diagram missed out 1 wire link, the missed one links pin7 to pin 9. I made up some pcbs for this bypass board when I converted a choplifter to a Wonderboy. Of course if you have this bypass board in you must be running an unencrypted version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic