ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > Meetings & Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

WUT TIME IS IT?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WUT TIME IS IT?
    Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 10:27am
WUT TIME IS IT?
iT'S ONLY BLOODY PODCAST-O-CLOCK! sH!T CAPS LOCK STILL ON! That's better. Yes. Bloody podcast bloody -o-clock bloody. Anyway, here ya go...

ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

Co-host of http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
matthewpont View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthewpont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 11:11am
Listened yesterday - great stuff as always Smile
Retroman839 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroman839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 12:32pm
excellent ear stuff
for my new long night baby cuddles.

anything that helps us through the night!

Edited by Retroman839 - 22 Jan 2021 at 12:38pm
tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 11:03pm
holy poo, better get listening.

Oh actually ofc I won't listen at all, on account of being banned. Honest gov.

shaunholley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm
Unban yourself Mr. Tin!
ShaunHolley.

tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 10:04pm
I may have already contravened the ban :)

ShinraArcade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShinraArcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 8:27pm
Shaun I think Battlements needs it's own cab LOL

Just watched a bit of gameplay from the show notes link, now I have "Quasimodo is a nice man" stuck in my head. 

Have you done any other games? I heard about Drunk Gary but never saw it, do you have a link?

Edited by ShinraArcade - 28 Jan 2021 at 10:30pm
It's not a Waveform it's a craft from a Vertical Shmup!
tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:05pm
Deffo.

I genuinely remembered battlements from BITD when Sean mentioned it in a previous episode - presumably the hunchback one. I had kind of forgotten about it but as soon as I loaded it up the memories came flooding back. Sheer joy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:54am
Thanks for the comments everyone.
You can download Battlements here. It's an ADF file so you need an Amiga emulator for that.

Drunk Garry is a Flash file so doesn't work in browsers any more. A link is here if you can get it to work by other means. It was written for Phil Nerg to surprise his mate Garry at Nerg 2018.

Drunk Garry is basically versions of Pac-Man, Frogger, and Donkey Kong, with graphics stolen from various games!
Phil secretly recorded voice samples of Garry over the course of the year and I put them in the game! Teamwork!

ShaunHolley.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:05am
Also, I didn't find out until relatively recently that Battlements made it onto two Amiga magazine cover disks. Cool!
ShaunHolley.

tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:34am
Cover disk is where I found it originally, and I'm sure I mentioned this back in the hunchback episode but I'll forgive ya for ignoring me :)
tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:51am
We're gonna have to resurrect Drunk Garry, I feel..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 12:03pm
Sorry James. Did you email us or something?
ShaunHolley.

tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 5:27pm
Heheh it's no probs of course! I thought I'd take a look see what I said back then, and it's in the last few posts on the bottom of this thread: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/ten-pence-arcade-67-hunchback_topic353230_page2.html

I guess there's absolutely no chance you've got the AMOS source lying around somewhere Tongue?

Edited by tin - 13 Feb 2021 at 5:28pm
RygarR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 11:37pm
What time is it?

Arcade time!

Great podcast Guys.

And awesome games-dev-chops, Shaun. Like Tin, I remember seeing Battlements years ago. Never knew it was yours, though!

Treasure island was an 'interesting' choice of game. Bit clunky, and not having a Q-bert-style stick, meant having to stand round teh corner of the cab to play it properly. But OK, nevertheless.

To be honest, if this had been a regular ROM, I probably wouldn't have sunk any time into it. But having to wait hald an hour for the bleeping thing to load in meant that rage quits weren't an option.

I suppose it was a bit like arcade yoga. Poise and breathing were key techniques!

Let's have a shooter soon.

How about TOKIO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 9:10am
Haha nice picture Rygarr!
Will consider Tokio. We've done too many shmups lately (I know there's no such thing) but will put it on the list.
ShaunHolley.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 6:31pm
Sorry Tin, no source code. 
ShaunHolley.

ShinraArcade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShinraArcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by shaunholley shaunholley wrote:

Thanks for the comments everyone.
You can download Battlements here. It's an ADF file so you need an Amiga emulator for that.

Drunk Garry is a Flash file so doesn't work in browsers any more. A link is here if you can get it to work by other means. It was written for Phil Nerg to surprise his mate Garry at Nerg 2018.

Drunk Garry is basically versions of Pac-Man, Frogger, and Donkey Kong, with graphics stolen from various games!
Phil secretly recorded voice samples of Garry over the course of the year and I put them in the game! Teamwork!

Shaun, Thanks for uploading these I played Drunk Gary a bit earlier, it's brilliant. If anyone wants to try it and you don't have an old browser that will play Flash then you can use the Adobe Flash debugger which you can find here: https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/32/flashplayer_32_sa_debug.exe

I was just listening to the latest episode at the same time as trying to remember how to work my Amiga emulator to load up Battlements, only to hear you start talking about this thread which was really surrealLOL.

From memory I think you said that you used GMS to make Drunk Gary, would be interesting to hear the process behind the project if you've documented it anywhere.
It's fascinating to see and hear about little games that people have made. I know there are a few Devs on here like Big10p who made the awesome Blitter Boy for PS1 a game that really would be great in a cab.

It's not a Waveform it's a craft from a Vertical Shmup!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 7:48am
Thanks, Mr. Shinra! Also nice to know you can still play Flash games (safely) today.
I used something called Stencyl to make Drunk Garry, which is a no-code logic block building app like Scratch on the Raspberry Pi. From memory I did start to document it but then got bored.

ShaunHolley.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic