FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Xbox One and PS4 mega thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

Screw anything more modern than ps1.

Really?  Do you lot actually care about frame rates?

What about good old gameplay?

If it helps even the balance a bit, I've been playing Robocop on a 128 Spectrum this week (which is still awesome) and Paperboy on the Electron (Spoiler: Not the best conversion of the game!Ouch)

Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

GIGANTIC NeoGAF thread on it here:

There's some angry people on that thread. LOLI'll need popcorn (and Scarlett)

Edited by Milky - 30 Oct 2013 at 8:24pm
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 5:38pm

Not really, but this is about the technology not the game Battlefield4. For anyone interested in SoC which both are using this is some pretty cool stuff coming to light Smile
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Jodo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Boy is this a machine!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 11:57pm
The most damning XO fact yet (confirmed) is that COD: Ghosts runs at 720p. 

<looks at Xbox 360 under TV> 

<Sheds a tear>

REMINDER: There are NO rules against sending a PM to buy in a Valuations thread.
Space Harrier Arcade World Record Holder!!
Twin Galaxies Official Score: 42,384,290
trev1976 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trev1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 7:20am
720p lol
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 7:35am
That Neogaf thread made me thank f**k I'm not into modern gaming, what a bunch of assholes, half them probably don't know what they are on about LOL
We are the 45
Beaps View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 2:12pm
Just checked out this....not that much difference, OK the sea in the background & the textures on the wood.

You need a RGH/Jtag Xbox 360 Console, ready to go, drop me a PM.
(.Y.)
guddler View Drop Down
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 2:40pm
Why is it that most of the PS4 footage I'm seeing looks like the images are blurry compared to XBO, and even PS3 in that clip?? Very poor contrast. Obvious sea and wood textures aside of course.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2013 at 5:52pm
Both COD: ghosts and BF4 are 720p on the XO.

What is strange is that it is more than capable of running them in 1080p, some sources are saying its the current crappy dev kit. The fanboys are condemning it!

Still Forza 5 is 1080p which is what I want it for (ok ok BF4 too!)

system11 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote system11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:02pm

Yes, because 30fps plays like sh*t compared to 60fps, it affects control responsiveness as well as making things easier to look at - that's why CoD is so popular, they stick to 60.

Battlefield isn't a great comparison - to summarise:
1) The PS4 one is running at a higher res but it still isn't 1080, as a result the AA they've applied makes the picture look soft/blurry in my opinion.  If you look at the captures made by jackfrags instead of the f**ked up Eurogamer ones, it does look a lot better.

2) The Xbox One is running at a somewhat lower res, the captures were f**ked up because the XB1 current firmware has a bug with full range RGB making shadows a lot darker - it also has a sharpening filter applied.

The CoD comparisons will be the big reveal - that's native 1080 on the PS4 and less on the Xbox One.  The PS4 is a significantly more powerful machine, even more than the specs suggest on paper.  People are even worried that publishers will start gimping PS4 versions to maintain version parity and avoid upsetting Microsoft, but that seems a bit extreme.

MS and most of the big media sites appear to be in some kind of bizarre damage control loop, of course the media sites are too scared of losing early access to be honest about things.  Sony have won the generation before it already starts - MS needed to hit the ball out of the park to undo the self inflicted PR mess, and they just haven't.  This is what happens when you let ad-men and OS guys design a games console, Allard understood that when he headed up the 360.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 7:51pm
I've heard the XO SoC is more customised than the more off the shelf approach to the PS4. Especially around tile map rendering and DX 11.1. However both are known for porkies in the past so I'm reserving judgement for 6-12 months.

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:41pm
Interesting read: http://www.neowin.net/news/infinity-ward-720p-xbox-one-port-of-call-of-duty-ghosts-is-due-to-resource-allocation?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Basically it is down to resource allocation on the console - and they ran out of time for tweaking. Pretty much states the next one will be 1080p@60fps on the Xbox One though which is pretty good

Edited by Alpha1 - 04 Nov 2013 at 5:44pm

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:43pm

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 5:51pm

Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 8:22pm
Still not sold but:

http://kotaku.com/a-convincing-pitch-for-the-xbox-one-kinect-in-just-five-1459612384

Edited by Milky - 06 Nov 2013 at 8:23pm
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 11:57am
This is VERY cool.

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 12:04pm
I've now just seen the entire video. Holy sh*t some of that is cool!  Are there any PS4 dash experience videos out yet?

guddler View Drop Down
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 4:14pm
All the TV stuff is all neat and all well and good and that, but how do I plug my Sky dish into it ??

Will be interesting to see what Sony have come up with because it's one area I think they're lacking. Not entertainment or TV or stuff, frankly apart from BluRay as I do use my console for that, I only want games so couldn't care less about the rest, BUT, while Microsoft have evolved their home screen experience several times over the years, and I've always downloaded the new versions with much excitement, Sony have effectively done next to nothing there at all, it's still much the same as it was when it released. Give or take.
Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2013 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by guddler guddler wrote:

BUT, while Microsoft have evolved their home screen experience several times over the years, and I've always downloaded the new versions with much excitement, Sony have effectively done next to nothing there at all, it's still much the same as it was when it released. Give or take.

They did slap (the non-deletable) SingStar at the top of the gameslist....that really hacked me off.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 11:53am
This is interesting.. Probably legal stuff and a mix up but still

system11 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote system11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2013 at 6:18pm
Source of that story is Polygon, who are fully in the pocket of Microsoft.

What's actually happened is Sony have just updated their ToS to cover PS4 games the same way it covered PS3, they're not enforced.  Never have been.  MS have the same clause, always have.

Did find it interesting that some of you like what MS did to the dash, I think it's a pile of repugnant sh*t now, adverts everywhere, incredibly slow compared to how it used to be, hard to navigate.  The best version was the one JUST where they added the cross-game party chat and it was all downhill from there.

This whole debacle really has shown just how cosy journalists and publishers/etc are - not a good state of affairs, that whole Xbox One embargo thing really is bullsh*t.  They banned a guy from Xbox Live a few days ago because Target sent him his machine early.  They also got his unboxing video pulled from Youtube, claiming copyright infringement which is a clear abuse of the way Youtube has to operate (shoot first, ask questions later).

Having been a huge fan of the 360 which has brought me thousands (tens of thousands in fact) of hours of fun, it pains me to say I hope the Xbone fails - MS did a good job as the underdog, but they've reverted to type now that they have a big foothold.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic