Double dragon bootleg pcb

Shinydaz

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
6 (100%)
Credits
811CR
Brought this as a none worker, it's a little dusty with a few caps missing/bad. Plugged it in to be greeted with a rolling, corrupt image. This game used to bleed me dry after swimming at the local leisure centre in the late 80's.

 

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
29 (100%)
Credits
2,566CR
Nice work sir. I have a double dragon booty without sound / no music. Still need to attempt a fix.

On the video, if you quote my post you should see how I've embedded youtube stuff. Looks like what you typed to be honest. Odd. Or just press the video icon, strip off the url stuff and bish bosh..


Flinnster2017-08-12 01:01:55
 

Shinydaz

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
6 (100%)
Credits
811CR
Thankyou, I dont think the movie icon is available on my mobile browser, Im now on my PC and can see it.

Right a bit more progress tonight. Ive replaced most of the caps in the sound section, we now have sound.

Gave the board a really good inspection, alot of holes in the solder around some of the legs, so I patched them up, still no background or gameplay and also still rolling.

I then thought Id check out the 2015 sram near the roms @ic57 on this bootleg. It was one of them shiny tmm2015bp chips,  Ive had troubles with these before. Now I know you cant properly diagnose sram with a logic probe, but it wasnt doing a great deal, So I cut it out and put a socket in.  I only had 6116's so that had to do and the result is :


I will try the board in another cab tomorrow to see if it rolls on that.Shinydaz2017-08-12 05:05:09
 

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
29 (100%)
Credits
2,566CR
Cool, maybe one of those typical booties not syncing on some montors thing?
For the cap replacements, did any look blatantly dodgey beforehand?
 

Shinydaz

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
6 (100%)
Credits
811CR
Yes 1 cap around the sound section had a leg hanging off, the others looked pretty rough to be fair. I'm guessing your amp isn't running? You can brush a wet finger on the amp pins underneath and it should crackle if it's running.
 

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
29 (100%)
Credits
2,566CR
Nothing too bad looking on the caps around the sound section for me, definitely one broken round the opposite side of the board near the corner on the ground plane though.
For the sound amp, plenty of loud noise 'humm' (the volume pot is up quite high) and yep, snap crackle 'n pop when I rund my finger on the solder contacts.
Not sure if I'm imagining a bit of white noise 'in the distance' when punches and kicks are happening. The music is definitely missing completely though.
 

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
29 (100%)
Credits
2,566CR
Shinydaz said:
You pulled out the sound roms to verify them?

Soz, I missed this one! Been dealing with other cab issues!
smiley19.gif

No I'm afraid I have no rom reader/burner here in any case (another bit of kit I need to get hold of! )

For the boots having wierd sync issues, I picked up a Puyo Puyo that is really wildly different from most other boards I have on the monitor settings.
Messing with both monitor holds and position I can sort it out fine, but yeah, it's really the other end of the scale from other jamma boards, some other boots I have, and cart systems like PGM & MGS.
Nobody ever designed arcade stuff to be swapped around much, hey!
smiley5.gif


Flinnster2017-08-17 17:59:05
 
Top