Latency in games - different ways to play question

Retroman839

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
13 (100%)
Credits
8,000CR
I've been meaning to properly learn the game on my board for a while now, too many games to play first though lol
I did get a sloppy 1cc of the first loop a while back
I think it stops getting harder after 3 loops, so that's probably a good place to stop playing (unless you want 10 million and want to play for 4 hours straight for some reason)
Solid game!
 

SquidDude

Newbie
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
128CR
I much prefer the more modern games with actual scoring systems for playing at home, but I do still think an older toaplan-style game is better for just playing "for fun" in an arcade.
Flying shark is actually surprisingly sight-readable, no need to memorise a ton of precise things for 1 loop if you have a bit of experience imo
 

Retroman839

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
13 (100%)
Credits
8,000CR
Slowdown on cave original hardware is a nice latency sub topic

And is improving original game faults,
slowdown for one sacrilege?

Jotego like to do warts and all replication which is great.

Slowdown in a game is lag
But everything is moving slow Só it’s relative ..
I guess it becomes part of the play mechanics at that point and wouldn’t be the same game if it was removed .

Some games you just couldnt have slow down or lag ..
PAC man a good exsample
Needs needle sharp response.
 
Last edited:

SquidDude

Newbie
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
128CR
A lot of games definitely need it, it's a part of the game really, most games will be designed around it.
Some later ones get ridiculously hard/straight up stupid if you remove it, and slowdown accuracy is/was a big issues for some games in mame
 

Retroman839

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
13 (100%)
Credits
8,000CR
A lot of games definitely need it, it's a part of the game really, most games will be designed around it.
Some later ones get ridiculously hard/straight up stupid if you remove it, and slowdown accuracy is/was a big issues for some games in mame
Yeh .. ikaruga
That don’t let you slow down !
I don’t know how that’s humanly possible man !

But like some parts of cave shmups it would equally be impossible without the slowdown ..
 

agent4125

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
28 (100%)
Credits
507CR
Could never get into those bullet hells. I liked the toaplan shooters because they felt more about skill than just memorising patterns all the time. Flying shark was my fave, but I love twin cobra too and of course truxton. Also, although not toaplan, raiden is another favourite. I got quite far in that but don't think I looped it.
 

Kewydee

Active member
Credits
221CR
I have a Mister for playing Mr Do! and I can't tell any difference between that and a pcb. It plays lovely.
And it has the slowdown just like the pcb does.

If there's any mister wizards out there, how do you set up a defender controller setup for mister?
When setting up a new joystick, the 1st input request is RIGHT. And there is no right on an up/down 2 way.
And if you press space to skip the 1st input, the mister just sets the keyboard as the controller.
Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't get my head around the setup for a Defender controller.
And that could be the best I could currently get as far as accurate emulation goes for Defender.

Please help if you can. I bet it's a simple thing, but like DOS command line, the Mister isn't that user friendly.

Cheers.
 

big10p

Coins detected in pocket!
vacBacker
Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
5,983CR
The hit box for the player is tiny on most bullet hell games, so they look harder than they are. They'd be unplayable with pixel-perfect collision detection. I also like how you can hold down fire to slow things down. I like a good blast now and again on a Cave game, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Lol.
 

Retroman839

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
13 (100%)
Credits
8,000CR
I have a Mister for playing Mr Do! and I can't tell any difference between that and a pcb. It plays lovely.
And it has the slowdown just like the pcb does.

If there's any mister wizards out there, how do you set up a defender controller setup for mister?
When setting up a new joystick, the 1st input request is RIGHT. And there is no right on an up/down 2 way.
And if you press space to skip the 1st input, the mister just sets the keyboard as the controller.
Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't get my head around the setup for a Defender controller.
And that could be the best I could currently get as far as accurate emulation goes for Defender.

Please help if you can. I bet it's a simple thing, but like DOS command line, the Mister isn't that user friendly.

Cheers.
Csn you configure just this game,

And add up and down to unused buttons ?
 

Retroman839

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
13 (100%)
Credits
8,000CR
The hit box for the player is tiny on most bullet hell games, so they look harder than they are. They'd be unplayable with pixel-perfect collision detection. I also like how you can hold down fire to slow things down. I like a good blast now and again on a Cave game, but I don't really know what I'm doing. Lol.
am I correct In saying you get more points thr closer you get to the bullets ?
 

SquidDude

Newbie
Feedback
2 (100%)
Credits
128CR
am I correct In saying you get more points thr closer you get to the bullets ?
In most games no, some games do have scoring systems like that though.

Regarding small hitboxes, I personally see it as just making the play field bigger. definitely looks silly though, and I can see why people wouldn't like it

Unrelated, but I always find the bullet hell distinction funny, considering some older games like gradius can get crazy in higher loops.
Gradius on loop 3+ specifically feels similar in a way to the special round of Ketsui, in that all the enemies spawn fast suicide bullets that come from a lot of directions which you have to mentally process very quickly, and then move precisely around them
 

Kewydee

Active member
Credits
221CR
Csn you configure just this game,

And add up and down to unused buttons ?
That's the problem. The 1st request when setting up a new controller is right. And there is no right on defender.

Maybe the trick is to edit the ini file. But that's a bit too complicated to work out. I don't want to ruin my setup by fiddling with stuff I have no idea about.
 

Retroman839

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
13 (100%)
Credits
8,000CR
Just add it to something you don’t use ?

You said it yourself only first command triggers it to keyboard Só just add first commmad to a button you don’t use 👍
 

2huwman

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
15 (100%)
Credits
365CR
It's important to think about input encoders as well, so that your button presses register as quickly as possible. The JPAC has a lot of benefits but apparently has higher latency than some other methods. For another project I've been using a Raspberry Pi Pico with the GP2040CE firmware which is supposed to have lower input latency. There's a spreadsheet comparing the various methods here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KlRObr3Be4zLch7Zyqg6qCJzGuhyGmXaOIUrpfncXIM/edit?gid=0#gid=0

Whether or not it will make any noticeable improvement for most games or people is debateable, but worth considering. For overall quality of experience and convenience, a PC playing groovymame is the best overall option in my opinion. I like Mister a lot too, but like to have the save states, autofire, and cheats that come with MAME (as I'm getting older and less tolerant of not having them!). Also you get the choice of a lot more games with MAME.
 
Last edited:

jimmerd

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
21 (100%)
Credits
450CR
Well I guess another way to play is on dedicated arcade PC systems.

The response time can be just as good as FPGA but it needs the correct setup.

Exa-Arcadia arcade hardware currently has the best 'in arcade' performance as they are pushing the USB polling to the limit with a dedicated I/O card. They call this JVS' (dash). In theory you could get similar results with the correct USB setup but it needs the software and o/s to be tuned also.

Some of there re-release games have better response times that the original JAMMA versions due to other optimisations which is pretty surprising.

"As quick as 0.3 frames of lag. exA-Arcadia is able to achieve 1 frame of input lag even on Unity and Unreal Engine. 85% of titles on exA-Arcadia are 2 frames of input lag or less. "

They have some discussion about which cabinets have the best LCD monitors as standard which is where I tend to find the most noticeable delay comes in.
https://exa.ac/en/unclassified/inputlag
 
Last edited:
Top