Replica Cabinets

bdn103

Newbie
Credits
1CR
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, but I spend most of my time on KLOV. A friend pointed me to the post and thought I should reply. I'm responsible for www.classicarcadecabinets.com. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out and I will be happy to help anyway I can. While I cut a few cabinets for myself in a hobbyist capacity, the primary purpose of the site is to collect this information and preserve it.

I have not made a distinction on what region of the world the cabinets are from, but please assume all of the cabinets are US standard cabinets...with the exception of the Nintendo cabinets which were copied from Japanese imports (I should start to identify the regions of the world that the cabinet was traced from).

Many of the US cabinets may be distinctively different in design from the European releases or other releases elsewhere in the world. Here in the US, there is a premium for European cabinets... so I find it funny that your side of the pond does the same thing for US cabinets.

But anyway, if there are any questions about the drawings, CNC use, materials, etc... please feel free to ask.

Thank you

Brian
 

Russ J

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
1 (100%)
Credits
233CR
bdn103 said:
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, but I spend most of my time on KLOV. A friend pointed me to the post and thought I should reply. I'm responsible for www.classicarcadecabinets.com. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to reach out and I will be happy to help anyway I can. While I cut a few cabinets for myself in a hobbyist capacity, the primary purpose of the site is to collect this information and preserve it.

I have not made a distinction on what region of the world the cabinets are from, but please assume all of the cabinets are US standard cabinets...with the exception of the Nintendo cabinets which were copied from Japanese imports (I should start to identify the regions of the world that the cabinet was traced from).

Many of the US cabinets may be distinctively different in design from the European releases or other releases elsewhere in the world. Here in the US, there is a premium for European cabinets... so I find it funny that your side of the pond does the same thing for US cabinets.

But anyway, if there are any questions about the drawings, CNC use, materials, etc... please feel free to ask.

Thank you

Brian

Know thats the Arcade community working together in perfect harmony,nice one Brian
smiley32.gif


On another note replicating such cabs as Starwars,Tron etc...it would be the plastic shrouds etc...that would be a pain to get hold of at a guess,I toyed with the idea of building a Tron myself but it would be such a pain to source these parts,the actual woodwork in building the cab wouldn't be that hard if you have access to an original cab (Arcade Club for that
smiley20.gif
) to get all the reletive dimensions etc...
Russ J2016-01-08 21:22:10
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
there are definitely a few full size cabs i'd be up for in flat pack form System2, Namco Galaga, etc, and im sure there would be quite a big market for all of the US cabarets, tempest, asteroids, missile command etc
 

guddler

Busting vectors like it's 1982!
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
4,056CR
I'd personally prefer replica cabs didn't exist. But I'm probably alone in this. It not so much the cabs themselves, although do bear in mind that another word for replica is counterfeit and they are illegal. What annoys me more is when you are trying to get original parts for original cabs that have been replicated. People with replicas nearly always populate then with original parts and there's only so many of them about which negatively impacts the prices and ultimately can push the people with genuine cabs but may be on a tight budget out of the market. I'm talking from experience as it has happened to me in the past.

Like I say, I'm likely to be alone in this opinion, but food for thought all the way.
 
Top