Silver Strike Bowling - The Resurrection! - Let's go Bowling!

myPinballs

Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
377CR
Bought this alittle while ago and it turned up today. Thanks to Martin for collecting yesterday and delivery today. :)

So this is the current state of it. Needs alot of work!! I will be updating on here as i get it restored and going etc, like the other threads i've done etc

Currently its totally dead, even though we have 240vac in!! (light on the power extension lights up woo hoo haha, but that's it..)

This is where we start....

- No Marquee Lights
- No Fans running
- No Computer activity, but complete
- No Monitor activity (except a faint ticking sound)
- CPO Nasty
- Trackball ceased up
- Cabinet pretty tidy , some minor dings, some repowder coating needed.
- Monitor bezel and surface ok
- CID board present but off
- I/O Board present but off

Pretty excited to get stuck into it though :) I have already built and got running a new computer setup with i/o board and security CID board and have some SSD images sorted for the 2004/5 version.

(oh and i do have the rear door, just was too eager to get a look inside!)

IMG_8965.JPGIMG_8966.JPGIMG_8967.JPGIMG_8968.JPGIMG_8969.JPGIMG_8970.JPGIMG_8971.JPGIMG_8972.JPG

myPinballs

Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
377CR
So job 1 fix the broken uv tubes. Ballast was dead, 1 of the 2 starts was dodgy and 1 tube was dead. Also whilst sorting the uv tube stuff i removed the old cabinet fan and ordered replacements. this thing was nasty!
IMG_9019.JPGIMG_9020.JPGIMG_9024.JPGIMG_9026.JPGIMG_9027.JPG

myPinballs

Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
377CR
More updates on the resurrection .

Computer system was dead. Bad power supply and bad motherboard. Had previously built a new computer system so installed this along with a new SSD setup.

Old System as received
IMG_9030.JPGIMG_9038.JPGIMG_9039.JPGIMG_9040.JPG

New system

IMG_9083.JPG

myPinballs

Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
377CR
Monitor Repair.

Monitor was also dead. Talked about this on another thread regarding these polo star 28" monitors . Here:

The summary is the monitor was blank and made a ticking sound at power on. Found a dead HOT transistor so changed this, no picture but got neck glow. Then found a dead Transistor at T6 on the switch pcb so changed this. no picture but this time a massive load of arcing form the flyback. Nearly had a heart attack! New flyback fitted along with various new hv section electrolytic caps and...

IMG_9537.jpegIMG_9538.jpegIMG_9539.jpeg

myPinballs

Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
377CR
Onto the control panel next. Have all new buttons and a new trackball to install. The old trackball was nasty. No surprise with this game. Pretty much everything was broken lol

myPinballs

Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
377CR
Control panel restoration pics. All new buttons. New trackball, cleaned up the original decal and the original plastic overlay, stripped and repainted the top metal protection strip that was rusted and painted black. All new bolt and nut hardware.

Strip down

IMG_9267 2.JPGIMG_9261 2.JPG

Trackball Fail
IMG_9274 2.JPG

Reassembly
IMG_9277 2.JPG

Metal strip sorting out

IMG_1302.JPG

Finished pics

IMG_1316.JPGIMG_1317.JPG
IMG_9280 2.JPG
IMG_1319.JPGIMG_1318.JPG

Turned out pretty good. Shame there isn't any replacement clear plastic overlays yet, maybe next time. The metal top strip was painted using primer, holts metallic HBLUEM03 and then a coat of automatic clear lacquer to protect. Much better than the nasty rusty thing on there before. The blue paint is an almost exact match or the blue trim in the game.

I have buttons, bolt and nuts available if you want to swap out your tarnished/rusty ones on your own control panel. I can also get the trackballs should you want one.

Flyback2021

vacBacker
Feedback
8 (100%)
Credits
237CR
Brilliant Job ! Great restoration thread.
Have a fair few parts for these silver strikes your welcome to give a shout if anything else you should need as replacement ? Have a ‘bag toss‘complete which eventually I would like to add a switcher for silver strike and golden tee also.