TV Powww!

Tyler Durden

Newbie
Credits
14CR
Anyone ever heard of TVPowww? It was an extended TV show segment that originally aired in the States in 1978-1984, which predates Starcade, and is probably the first example of an interactive (he says, loosley) television show featuring video gaming as an interactive medium.

The premise was simple, during the segment of the show, there would be a section where a cockpit space fighter simulator (as an example) would be on screen, with waves of enemy fighters appearing, and the viewer would say, "Pow!", and your fighters laser cannons would shoot. Time it correctly, and you hit the fighter-craft, and the enemy ship would be destroyed.

It was originally done with a Fairchild Channel-F console with voice emulation before moving over to the Intellivision for its games.

It also featured outside of the United States, here in the UK in 1982 as part of the show, Get Set for Summer! but also in Italy, the Philippines, and in Australia, where I competed in sometime in...I want to say, 1986. I won something...can't remember what it was.

It's chessier than a teenagers face, but it's an interesting piece of gaming history.

 
Top