What is a rail shooter?

insx

User
Credits
60CR
Hi Folks

According to Wikipedia, Space Harrier was the first rail shooter. I'm a little shocked that "Rail Shooter" has come to mean a game with a fixed path where you fly into the screen. I'd always understood a rail shooter to be a game where you are "on rails" and cannot move around the screen but you might have evasive moves such as ducking. If Space Harrier is a rail shooter because you are on a set path, why not Vanguard or R-Type?

In any case, Star Wars and Astron Belt predate Space Harrier if we're going with the into-the-screen fixed path definition.

Cheers
Tim
 

insx

User
Credits
60CR
Then tail gunner is a rail shooter.
I always took rail shooters to be where you follow a fixed but winding path with possible choices along the way.
That's an interesting call, it's certainly at least as rail shootery as Space Harrier, albeit with primitive graphics. It also fits the definition of a fixed path where the player cannot move around the screen.
 

2DForever

Newbie
Feedback
3 (100%)
Credits
104CR
Agh, I can't decide on Space Harrier now. You have full control, sure, so perhaps not a rail shooter?

But Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox I'd say are rail shooters... But they have a more 3D environment that you get pushed through. Tricky one, but I think I'd have to agree with Space Harrier being one now?!
 

Bods

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
4 (100%)
Credits
5,290CR
To me, games like Time Crisis, Crisis Zone or Virtua Cop are 'Rail Shooters'

Although your direction is set in Spacer Harrier, you have full control over your character. So you aren't 'on rails'

Would you include Space Harrier? suppose it kinda follows the below but then you might as well class Afterburner, Thunderblade, Galaxy Force etc Atari Star Wars

Sega defined the Rail Shooter genre by locking players onto a set movement path while they aim and fire at incoming enemies

Thats the sort I'd class em as along with House Of the Dead series, Haunted Museum , Starblade, Steel Gunner, Star Wars Trilogy Arcade suppose Operation Wolf, Thunderbolt and Space Gun also
 

TWB

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
317CR
Space Harrier isn't a rail shooter as the players movement isn't set, you can move around the screen.

Operation Wolf would be a rail shooter where your movement is controlled by the game but you're free to fire where you want.
 

John Bennett

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
10 (100%)
Credits
5,244CR
Hmm, thinking about it, I'd have Space Harrier as a rail shooter as you can't really go anywhere other than forwards into the enemies. I can see how it's debatable anyway.

Things I quickly think of that are probably not:
Xybots
Star Wars Arcade (1993), as you pilot the ship around (unlike the old game and Trilogy where you're almost just aiming the gun).
Defender/Stargate/Narc as you can reverse the scrolling.
 

Stokers

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
36 (100%)
Credits
2,118CR
Would you include Space Harrier? suppose it kinda follows the below but then you might as well class Afterburner, Thunderblade, Galaxy Force etc Atari Star Wars

Sega defined the Rail Shooter genre by locking players onto a set movement path while they aim and fire at incoming enemies

Thats the sort I'd class em as along with House Of the Dead series, Haunted Museum , Starblade, Steel Gunner, Star Wars Trilogy Arcade suppose Operation Wolf, Thunderbolt and Space Gun also
I wouldn't have included Space Harrier.. but maybe I would now.. Although it's a good point why isn't a shooter like Truxton one then?
 

Bods

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
4 (100%)
Credits
5,290CR
To be honest I think it should be defined as a game where you don't have movement apart from where you/character can shoot on the screen and its the background that moves without control of it
 

eliotcole

Active member
Feedback
8 (100%)
Credits
1,044CR
Before I read responses and either edit in to confirm my stupidity ...​

​


You are moving through an environment without any control over that movement.

ie. You are being moved.
​



Basically, I always believed that a 'rail shooter' was something where you cannot control where you are going, or any part of your situtation ... including your movement ... though ... ducking / shielding / etc would obviously not be a part of that.

The easiest example that I can think of this is Virtua Cop or House Of The Dead in the arcade, but there will definitely be better examples, including non-lightgun based ones.

Like I say, it doesn't have to be light-gun based. Essentially ... even if there ARE choices ... you don't *really* have 'free will' in the context of the game world and by and large the only thing that you can do is 'shoot stuff that comes at you' and that's it. Perhaps light-gun games are actually a sub-genre of this ... 😲 ...

Anyway ... yeah ... on to read everything above that disabuses me of all of this! 😅



EDIT ... Hrm ... I guess Space Harrier (etc) are rail shooters ... 🤷‍♂️ ... I'd never really considered them that ... but ... yeah ... Sub-Genre? Maybe?

Also ... this kind of ties in with the fact that I've ALWAYS said that Half-Life is NOT open world ... but that's a separate conversation.
 

Sbdesign

SEGA collector
vacBacker
Feedback
16 (100%)
Credits
1,719CR
Sorry to use Ai...

That is a brilliant point about 2D shmup classics like R-Type or Truxton. If we only use the "fixed path" definition, then almost every standard side-scrolling or vertical shoot 'em up could technically be called a rail shooter, which clearly doesn't feel right.
I think the confusion comes from how the terminology shifted over the decades.
Back in 1985, Sega officially marketed Space Harrier as a "3D Shoot 'em Up" or an "into-the-screen" game. The actual phrase "rail shooter" didn't really explode into common usage until the 1990s light-gun boom with Virtua Cop and Time Crisis.
Because of that timeline, we've ended up with two very different definitions:
  • The Broad Definition (The Wikipedia view): Focuses entirely on the camera track. Because the game forces you forward down a fixed, linear pipeline that you can’t stop or alter, it’s structurally "on rails"—even if you can fly around the screen to dodge.
  • The Purist Definition (The Arcade view): Focuses on character autonomy. If you have full directional control over your avatar to dodge projectiles, you aren't truly "on rails." To this group, a true rail shooter means the game completely dictates your physical positioning, and your only input is aiming.
To bridge the gap (and keep traditional 2D shmups separate), a lot of people tend to split them by the Z-axis:
  1. 2D Shmups (R-Type): Flat, 2D planes where you navigate around ceilings, walls, and terrain obstacles.
  2. 3D Rail/Forward Scrollers (Space Harrier, Star Fox): Fixed movement into the screen along a Z-axis, where you are dodging objects scaling up toward your face.
  3. Fixed/Light-Gun Rail Shooters (Time Crisis): Zero character movement, pure aiming.
It’s a debate because both sides are technically right depending on whether you're looking at the camera engine or the player controls!
 

eliotcole

Active member
Feedback
8 (100%)
Credits
1,044CR

Using The "debate" Word​

​
I do not use the word 'debate' as it tends to weirdly cause people to invest levels of negative emotion in something that ... on the face of things ... is not a vitally important thing in the world. Additionally, it does somewhat polarise things, whether debate (in and of itself) is binary in nature or not. 😉​
​
We're just chatting about this stuff ... none of us are the arbiter of it all. The fact that 'Aye Eye' is using that word ... makes it even less of a thing, for me ... as it pushes those conversations that just ... do not help. More in the next 'caveateous' spoiler. 😏​

On 'Aye Eye'​

​
There's many reasons I would urge us not to rely on 'Aye Eye' for a definition of anything, ever ... chief amongst all those reasons is attribution ... but I'll get to that.​
​
I will just start by saying just think about what difference inserting the word "debate" into this (if we take my previous assumptions on the matter to even minutely affect things) does to affect the tone of the conversation. It turns from a conversation that could have many levels/viewpoints ... and it polarises it. Sure, a debate can have many facets, but ... it rarely does online ... and it usually just ends up with folks wanging crap around. 🙁​
​
Much more concerning to me and why I would *wholly* (no anger, just a sigh, this is not aimed at you, @Sbdesign) disapprove the of the use of 'Aye Eye' in this instance ... is that it is just us folks just chatting in a forum. More than anything, just ... join the conversation, y'know? Express one's own feelings, thoughts, opinions. Not everything is black and white, and perhaps the only thing that I'd say *IS* OK about this 'Aye Eye' response is that it doesn't treat things as such.​
​
Further to the conversational side of this ... and to follow on from the end of that previous paragraph. Inserting some 'Aye Eye' (non-)'definition' ( 😏 ) presents the visage of a 'dictionary definition' with zero attribution for where that comes from, or the trust that one can attribute to a dictionary, encyclopaedia, scientific paper, etc, etc. This then WILL (as evidenced by my referencing literally *any* of it) influence the conversation.​
​
Attribution/Sourcing is probably the biggest thing in general (and this is the thing that affects usage in the workplace) as if there is none ... then ... er ... where has this come from. For all we know the only sources were the original Wikipedia artical and this very thread ... 😅 ... like ... did it look at citations, links, etc, contained within ... did it do its own research ... did it literally try to think about the differences in genres/games/etc?​
​
Finally ... 'Aye Eye' poisoning: Now you may rightly dismiss this part in context, heh ... but I am putting it here to refer to the greater sense of it all. It is *NEVER* clear (mostly because of the 'attribution' thing) to what level any 'Aye Eye' interaction from internet content has been poisoned. Obviously the discussion that we're having is a little beyond the scope of this, but it's not *beyond* the reach of such bad actors. This is *literally* something that state actors do for many issues, but they also target smaller issues/communities, like this one (I *literally* watched bad actors destroy the comic book community using the Bannon playbook) because they want us to divide over EVERYTHING. The more ways we are trying to be binary and vehemently involved in that ... the better for such Bannon/Russian/whomever folks. /tinfoilhat​
​

​
To talk around the 'Aye Eye' of this ( not dismissing @Sbdesign, merely moving conversation away from the 'non-source' of it all 😏 - caveats above 😉 )... I'd say that if someone wanted more significantly define the Wikipedia artical, then raising a similar thread in the large, formative, and well known, online forums (that are not discord/facebook based!) then 'we' would definitely come to a much more accurate and well written artical, especially if it is then democratically written on Wikipedia. 🙂​
​
But, broadly, yeah, I'd separate the vertical/horizontal 2D side scrollers (including Zaxxon, etc) from anything that's into the screen or full on 3D. Plus, I would offer sub-genres of rail shooter including (but not limited to) 'into screen' and 'light gun' games.​
​
I'll wang on a little more, below ...​
Sorry to use Ai...

That is a brilliant point about 2D shmup classics like R-Type or Truxton. If we only use the "fixed path" definition, then almost every standard side-scrolling or vertical shoot 'em up could technically be called a rail shooter, which clearly doesn't feel right.
I think the confusion comes from how the terminology shifted over the decades.
Back in 1985, Sega officially marketed Space Harrier as a "3D Shoot 'em Up" or an "into-the-screen" game. The actual phrase "rail shooter" didn't really explode into common usage until the 1990s light-gun boom with Virtua Cop and Time Crisis.
Because of that timeline, we've ended up with two very different definitions:
  • The Broad Definition (The Wikipedia view): Focuses entirely on the camera track. Because the game forces you forward down a fixed, linear pipeline that you can’t stop or alter, it’s structurally "on rails"—even if you can fly around the screen to dodge.
  • The Purist Definition (The Arcade view): Focuses on character autonomy. If you have full directional control over your avatar to dodge projectiles, you aren't truly "on rails." To this group, a true rail shooter means the game completely dictates your physical positioning, and your only input is aiming.
To bridge the gap (and keep traditional 2D shmups separate), a lot of people tend to split them by the Z-axis:
  1. 2D Shmups (R-Type): Flat, 2D planes where you navigate around ceilings, walls, and terrain obstacles.
  2. 3D Rail/Forward Scrollers (Space Harrier, Star Fox): Fixed movement into the screen along a Z-axis, where you are dodging objects scaling up toward your face.
  3. Fixed/Light-Gun Rail Shooters (Time Crisis): Zero character movement, pure aiming.
It’s a debate because both sides are technically right depending on whether you're looking at the camera engine or the player controls!

Like ( in whatever level of seriousness is relevant, here 😏 ) I do think that there are rail shooters that are *not* just light gun games.​
​
I mean, the 'dodge' in Time Crisis is almost *literally* the same thing as moving your ship in Tempest/Tempest 2000 in context. Equally so; Rez (Star Fox, Space Harrier, etc) is (are) offering that same 'minimal agency' / movement to 'not be hit' by something. Sure, that *is* definitive agency over the protagonist, but it does not decide where you are going or how.​
​
Does the same apply in Panzer Dragoon? I literally don't know as I cannot remember playing it, but it is broadly following in Space Harrier's wake. I would add (the reason I brought up Panzer Dragoon is) that if there *is* any choice in 'where you go next' of it all, then I'd just put that in the 'Outrun' level select mechanism ... not changing the rails. You are not really doing anything other than picking the next stage, you are just doing so via the game engine. Immersion, not genre breaking. 🤔 (obviously, if one takes this all to stupid levels then one enters the RPG / open-world arena, where choices matter)​
​

​
Anyways ... I'd say (and am more than happy to have my ear bent!) that if it is any more complex than something like a loop of the below, then it's not on rails:​
  1. Shooting things in a level that you are propelled through without agency
  2. Go to the next level via either:
    1. Level Screen
    2. Cut Scene
    3. Current Score
    4. Two or Three Options (think Sniper Scope, etc, or the 'Outrun' method)
So ... perhaps I'd just say that the 'forward scrollers' (would 'into screen' define it better?) and light gun games (amongst others, I'm sure) are 'sub-genres' of rail shooter.​
​
But this is all just my dumbass opinion! 😅​
 
Top