My New CVS Choplifter Table - Any Advice?

CharlieFar

Feedback
1 (100%)
Credits
50CR
Flinnster said:
OK yep, nothing coming from the power pins on the jamma edge for the JPAC, so you should be fine.
Just make sure component side is clearly marked and everything is the rigtht way up so you don't fire +5V / -5V / +12V down the player 1 & 2 button connections.. eek :)
Thanks Flinnster.

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
Happy to say I've had a successful soldering session!

I'm at the point where I have the CRT of the cabinet as a 2nd screen which is great. I've installed mame and groovymame and configured CRT emu.

The part I'm stuck on is installing and using a frontend. Can anyone recommend a good frontend with a solid guide on setting it up?

Also, would someone point me in the direction of a good ROM source please?

Pics so far

solder.jpg

windows.jpg

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
27 (100%)
Credits
2,394CR
Waheey! Great stuff, and I'm reassured I'm not the only one sticking bits of post it notes and sticky labels to coloured wires ;) 15Khz out all looking good then :)

For a front end, I found 'attractmode' easy to set up. It can also be run on pretty bog standard low power PCs (have mine running on an old netbook), unlike hyperspin that can go a bit OTT with all of it's bells and whistles.
I made a pandora's box style frontend for attractmode: here
Might do a vertical one next for a vertical setup I'm working on. You can setup different attractmode 'layouts' for different emulators, there are tons free to download too.

Flinnster2016-11-19 12:19:50

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
Hey Flinnster, yes, sticky labels saved they day for me. Always good to have whatever documentation is available when making changes like this.

In response to FrontEnds, i did download and install Mala and Attract Mode. I couldnt get either working but can probably attribute that to it getting pretty late and me growing increasingly impatient.

Can anyone point me towards a newbies guide in setting up either of these (or any FE) up? I'm really not bothered what they look like as long as they are legible on a 14" screen.

I did have some success when running groovymame64 directly but the interface is almost illegible.. managed to get Pacman and Wonderboy running which is great news as proved the concept works. ..Is groovymame a FE??

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
27 (100%)
Credits
2,394CR
I use mameplus 'under the hood', and attractmode for my front end.
For sanity I have mame in c:/Mame/ and attractmode in C:/Attractmode/

You can grab my theme here to get you going: http://depositfiles.com/files/x2fwe4t5a
Copy this into Attractmode/layouts/ (so the files are in Attractmode/layouts/pb4u/)

So on attractmode... load it up (assuming you have mame already up and running OK).

Setting up your emulator:

1. Press the tab button, and go to emulators at the top, press 'enter' to go into that menu.
2. Select mame and press enter
3. Go to the executable option (2nd down) and type in the location of your mame exe. Mine is c:/Mame/mamep.exe (because I am using mameplus - yours may have a different name)
4. Set up the rom path location - mine is in c:/Mame/Roms/
5. System identifier should be left as 'mame' and the file types should be .zip;.7z;(dir) (more than less than symbols there, the forum doesn't like those)
6. You may want to add your artwork paths (at the bottom). Select 'Add artwork' and add the name of the artwork and your paths at the bottom for flyers, marquees, snapshots and wheel art - just like you set up the roms path. ie.:
flyer c:/mame/flyer
marquee c:/mame/marquee
snap c:/mame/snap
wheel c:/mame/wheel
7. Finally select 'generate collection/rom list'. This will add your mame roms to a list that attractmode uses for the front end menus. It should say 'generating Rom List xx%' and will take a while if you have more than a handful of roms.
8. If you don't already have artwork you can try the 'scrape artwork' option (it can take a very long time). It can pick up quite a few for a quick start but I prefer to modify my own manually these days.

Setting up the frontend style:

1. press the tab button and go up to the 'displays' item. Inside that go to 'add new display', and call it 'myDisplay'
2. 'myDisplay' should appear in the menu above you, so go into that, and you'll see the display options.
3. At the top you can name it what you want 'my display for testing' or whatever.
4. Then the important bit.. the 2nd option is layout. Go to that, and then press up/down to select layouts that are available from the layout folder. 'pb4u' will activate the one you have downloaded - there are tons of others you can download and some that come with attractmode like Attrac-Man. You can try any that you fancy.
5. Set collection/Rom List to 'mame' - the entries are pre-filled here, so up/down selects them
6. That should be all that is needed. If you back out of all the menus, you'll get back the default front-end layout. Then left/right by default should swap layouts (you can define the controls later if you don't want this).

Flinnster2016-11-22 21:49:16

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
So after a little delay i'm going to follow your guide in full this weekend, Flinnster.

Before i try, just a few basic questions:

You say you use Mameplus. Is that like Groovymame like i installed previously?

Do i need this in addition to Mame?

What is Mameplus for?

What does Attractmode actually do?

I feel like i need to get these basics out the way before i start.

Thanks for your help,

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
27 (100%)
Credits
2,394CR
Yeah, I just use mameplus just out of personal preference. It just has a reasonable windows based front-end that I use for investigating roms and machine info.

(not my screenshot, but you get the idea...)
emulador-arcade-mame-plus-v-0152-com-1000-jogos-chads-D_NQ_NP_18694-MLB20159177458_092014-F.jpg

My version is quite old to be fair.. my last update was...

v1.6.0 ... Feb 2nd 2015.. sheesh :(
It has mame 'within' it, so it's not another layer, like attractmode.

I don't think it matters really what mame flavour you use. Use whatever mame you already have set up, basically ;)

Attractmode as a front-end allows you to navigate your games in mame (or many other emulators), in a low resolution screen mode, using just joystick and buttons, on an actual arcade cabinet.
Of course it works on a standard PC with monitor too - but it means no more fiddling with a mouse and having to squint at windows flickering on a low-resolution screen ;)

Sorry about the non english video, but this nicely shows him loading attractmode (you can load it automatically on windows startup on your cab) and then selecting his game using his joystick (the theme/layout is called 'robospin'
Later on he shows how quick it is to try a few different front-end 'layout' designs - one is a vertical list, the other selects games by looking at full screen flyers:

Flinnster2016-12-03 01:27:27

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
Hi Flinnster. Gave AttractMode a good go over the weekend. Amazing, it works really well.
Your zip file seems to be password protected so couldnt try your skin. Can you PM me?

I like the idea of MamePlus but it wouldnt launch.. got the splash screen but didnt respond after this. is there an official download link i can try?

Also, i've used AttractMode to try to "scrape" artwork from mamedb but got nothing. is there a good place to get artwork?

Thanks

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
27 (100%)
Credits
2,394CR
Duncaroo said:
Hi Flinnster. Gave AttractMode a good go over the weekend. Amazing, it works really well.

Hey really glad it worked for you. I like it because it's simple enough for a PI emulation setup, but can be scaled up to PC too :)

Duncaroo said:
Your zip file seems to be password protected so couldnt try your skin. Can you PM me?

Ah, I'd totally forgotten about that. Archive password is: mameart
It's not supposed to be private or anything!

Duncaroo said:
I like the idea of MamePlus but it wouldnt launch.. got the splash screen but didnt respond after this. is there an official download link i can try?

Let me know what version you are after. I have older installers kicking about for what I'm using. You might need some other windows components, I have no idea.. it's been a long time! :)

Duncaroo said:
Also, i've used AttractMode to try to "scrape" artwork from mamedb but got nothing. is there a good place to get artwork?

Usually the scraper stuff works OK for me, it just misses some items.
I did download packs of marquees and flyers, snaps etc.. from a google search once. I can upload or send over any you need. I use the scraper mostly for the video snapshots, which are a pain to download in bulk.

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
Got the PC guts into the cab this weekend. Trying to fit it around the original stuff to allow for roll back in the future if needed.

Still trying to get to grips with the software interfaces. I'm sure ill get it with a little more reading.

cab.jpg

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
Hi all,< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

I've just tried to boot up Choplifter (original Sega System 8 board) but getting no sound or video from it. Blank screen.

The red LED mounted on the board is solid lit.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to go about troubleshooting this?

I've re-seated the connector a few times and given it a few attempts to boot. Still no life.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Flinnster

The Dino King
vacBacker
Feedback
27 (100%)
Credits
2,394CR
Check your +5v line voltage with a multimeter, Choplifter is a hungry bugger of a board and needs a good jolt to get started.
If you're still using the jamma extender, try using the board connected straight into the main jamma loom edge connector.

Del Griffith

vacBacker
Feedback
12 (100%)
Credits
589CR
Flinnster said:
Check your +5v line voltage with a multimeter, Choplifter is a hungry bugger of a board and needs a good jolt to get started.
If you're still using the jamma extender, try using the board connected straight into the main jamma loom edge connector.

Agreed, Those Chinese extenders are terrible. The 5v wire is not enough even tho it appears to be a thicker gauge it isn’t....well mine isn’t and just has thicker shielding. I had problems with resets and boards not booting when using one until I read how sneaky the 5v wire is realised it was the problem.

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
Strike that. Working again!< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">

Step 1. Always check power first! Looks like is was a loose connector somewhere having traced it back to the power brick.

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
Flinnster and Del Griffith, I hadn't even had time to refresh my page to see your response. Damn, you guys are quick!< ="chrome-extension://hhojmcideegachlhfgfdhailpfhgknjm/web_accessible_resources/index.js">
Thank you so much for your help.

D

Duncaroo

Credits
1CR
Hey guys, I'm seeing something strange on Choplifter now, wondering if anyone can offer any advice..

The game boots as normal through the initial 'IC checks'. This takes about 20 seconds.

Once at the insert coin screen, the game seems to 'reboot' at random intervals. The reboot just takes it immediately back to the insert coin screen rather than through the IC check at the start.

If i try to start the game, it still reboots back to the insert coin screen regardless.

The rebooting seems less frequent once its been on for a while.. and 'warmed up' a little?

Any ideas what to look at would be great..

Thanks!