So What Other Competition Arcade Cabs or Games could be out there still

Bods

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
4 (100%)
Credits
5,272CR
I was offered one back in early 2000s, the guy had a Outrun Deluxe which had been downgraded to Turbo Outrun or was that upgraded lol and he wanted quite strong money for it without movement so probably not the conversion kit but standard Turbo pcb, also found out I missed an outrun the same on a BIN for £150 assuming he bought that and was flipping it and at the time I wasn't well, if I wasn't on the computer you knew I wasn't well lol, so I asked him how much for the RB Cockpit expecting some silly price like £800 and I'm sure he said £350 which was tempting but I wanted Chase HQ and OutRun at the time

So 20+ years later and okay that one was quite tidy the one I was offered but to get one around same price now is crazy really

I was also tempted around same time with Thunderblade Deluxe, It was down south west so long way for me, that sold on auction in really nice condition for £240 ish, thats what made me think my Dining Table needs to go :LOL:
 

Shipwreck Arcade

Active member
Credits
318CR
I was listening and watching to some of the stories Alpha1 had on Al's Arcade, about how he was picking up cabs in the late 90's. £25 for a cab at the back of an arcades storage dumping area on the south coast, take your pick.
I was out of the arcades at that time and not on computers, if I'd known about the old games i used to love going at them crazy cheap prices i would have been all over that! I suppose right place right time or who you knew at that time pre ebay etc..
Didn't really bother with stuff online and ebay for years, it's like i didn't realise vintage 1980s star wars mint on card figures were about and much cheaper than I'd thought they'd be!
I thought there would be hardly any MOC figures about!
Plus they were being picked up in the early 90s for pennies, just like the arcade cabs and boards.
I suppose the clue should of been, when as i was leaving the arcades in 1990 at 16 years old, i saw an original Popeye in the Nintendo cab for 30 quid at the back of a little sea front arcade i used to love. Couldn't pick it up (no money, transportation or space)
 

Bods

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
4 (100%)
Credits
5,272CR
That was the main problem the machines were so cheap, not all to start ya'd see space invaders for £1000 but then prices just dropped again because no one buying. Outruns went crazy for a bit then started dropping to a point people were parting some out because they'd get more money, I sold a monitor to a guy not far from me for an Outrun cab he bought off ebay, guy said it already sold previously to someone and for about £240 area and said they turned up to collect and said it wasn't good enough condition and left, so he bought it and paid £100 odd and that was full size upright one too, he was buying a few old machines to put in his pubs one he had in Wellingborough and he'd rotate them between those he had

My interenet was terrible and would just drop out back then, I was sat waiting to bid on Buggy Boy which I missed because internet went off and ended by time I got it back on, it ended at like £7 which is what I paid for Pole Position 2 and £10 for that Electrocoin Driver cab with Hyper Crash
Something daft like £17 for working Virtua Fighter
Indiana Jones was £100, Roadblaster upright £127, Double Dragon 1 & 2 for £200 thats 2 cabs USA ones of both
Sold the PP 2 and bought Buggy Boy for same money so basically ended up with one for £7
Rail Chase 2 Deluxe £50 couldn't believe me luck but listed in wrong category and a few times before I found it
I could have filled a warehouse with all the cheap machines
Oh the cheapest was Darius cab I genuinely won for 99p had no PCB and the guy had 2 space harrier deluxe on starting at 99p also and he ended them because no one bidding, Craig won the front section of one deluxe, he had that and 2 Deluxe cabs but no pcbs in them which is why no one bidding, he was selling loads as moving to USA.
Around same time I bid on a Paperboy cab which seller had Championship Sprint PCB, Marquee and Boards and I got outbid at £650 I think, same seller had spare PSU and Champ Sprint CP with extra Holes in he listed after which I won cheap like CP £10 or £15
The guy I got Darius from said he had Paperboy he'd sell but he'd want quite a bit for it but he had a Champ Sprint with no control panel I paid £100 for that and popped me CP on I'd already got, amazing luck sometimes and then I bought Paperboy kit from USA for few hundred
 

Shipwreck Arcade

Active member
Credits
318CR
W
That was the main problem the machines were so cheap, not all to start ya'd see space invaders for £1000 but then prices just dropped again because no one buying. Outruns went crazy for a bit then started dropping to a point people were parting some out because they'd get more money, I sold a monitor to a guy not far from me for an Outrun cab he bought off ebay, guy said it already sold previously to someone and for about £240 area and said they turned up to collect and said it wasn't good enough condition and left, so he bought it and paid £100 odd and that was full size upright one too, he was buying a few old machines to put in his pubs one he had in Wellingborough and he'd rotate them between those he had

My interenet was terrible and would just drop out back then, I was sat waiting to bid on Buggy Boy which I missed because internet went off and ended by time I got it back on, it ended at like £7 which is what I paid for Pole Position 2 and £10 for that Electrocoin Driver cab with Hyper Crash
Something daft like £17 for working Virtua Fighter
Indiana Jones was £100, Roadblaster upright £127, Double Dragon 1 & 2 for £200 thats 2 cabs USA ones of both
Sold the PP 2 and bought Buggy Boy for same money so basically ended up with one for £7
Rail Chase 2 Deluxe £50 couldn't believe me luck but listed in wrong category and a few times before I found it
I could have filled a warehouse with all the cheap machines
Oh the cheapest was Darius cab I genuinely won for 99p had no PCB and the guy had 2 space harrier deluxe on starting at 99p also and he ended them because no one bidding, Craig won the front section of one deluxe, he had that and 2 Deluxe cabs but no pcbs in them which is why no one bidding, he was selling loads as moving to USA.
Around same time I bid on a Paperboy cab which seller had Championship Sprint PCB, Marquee and Boards and I got outbid at £650 I think, same seller had spare PSU and Champ Sprint CP with extra Holes in he listed after which I won cheap like CP £10 or £15
The guy I got Darius from said he had Paperboy he'd sell but he'd want quite a bit for it but he had a Champ Sprint with no control panel I paid £100 for that and popped me CP on I'd already got, amazing luck sometimes and then I bought Paperboy kit from USA for few hundred
Wow! Some crazy prices and great stories.
I definitely would of been onto an Outrun cab at those prices 😃😃😃
So many great deals.
I remember ebay when i got my cab about 8-9 years ago, there were some great prices on cabs and pcbs but nothing like that!
Mind you i do remember seeing bigger cabs like driving and shooting games selling for cheapish! Presumably because of the size, weight and moving parts that can go wrong!.
Definitely pcbs were more plentiful and cheaper around 8 years ago! I got loads of original working boards from £20 - £60. From Tumble Pop to Wrestlefest, Double Dragon to Bad Dudes. And some more expensive ones i got like Hellfire and Raiga were still only £100, try getting them for that now!
 

pubjoe

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
7 (100%)
Credits
833CR
Like everyone else who didn't I wish I'd thought of buying cabinets in the 90s. I lived in the arcades and had a friend who bought fruit machines so I have no excuse for not having the idea, at least in my late teens / late 90s.

We'd all love dirt cheap prices but the downside then is retired machines are treated as junk. Hassle to get rid of and mostly just destroyed.
 

Shipwreck Arcade

Active member
Credits
318CR
Like everyone else who didn't I wish I'd thought of buying cabinets in the 90s. I lived in the arcades and had a friend who bought fruit machines so I have no excuse for not having the idea, at least in my late teens / late 90s.

We'd all love dirt cheap prices but the downside then is retired machines are treated as junk. Hassle to get rid of and mostly just destroyed.
Weirdly i did buy 2 fruit machines in the late 90's because my flat at the time had a full size bar with optics, stools, crazy artworks etc and i saw these machines in a local secondhand shop. Added them for the ambience with the flashing lights on attract mode.
Flat living room looked like a nightclub lounge area 😂
But i never realised there were arcade cabs out there cheap as chips at that time! 😪
 

Bods

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
4 (100%)
Credits
5,272CR
Was only when we started with the C64 and then Arcade game emulators I started looking at them not expecting to see them for sale then I found ebay in 2000, said to me mate if I see an Operation Wolf I'm buying it as cool as it was to play it on the PC it's not the same without the original cab, early 2001 I signed up to ebay to bid when Op Wolf for sale, bid not knowing how it worked i put a bid on, went bed woke up and remembered I'd bid and i'd won it for £87 and I must have bought the only one without the original monitor glass which took me years to get
 
Top