Atari System 2 Championship Sprint

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Thats the plan James, It was just screws and hefty staples keeping it together, I have removed all of the staples, and plan to fix it together for easy dissasembly :) And then to get it back to totally original would just take a hefty staple gun! I have two or three bits of wood to refabricate that were either missing or broken, once they are done I can put it back together.

I think a wire wheel might be the next thing to try on the wheels, as you say battle scars are quite cool :) its a cross between mint and having some character. I will probably try a few more things, I can experiment on the rear part of the wheel.
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
IndyJones said:
I never knew bathing the wheels in full fat sugared coke would do that, thats my new snippet of knowledge for today
smiley20.gif
I was going to use wire wool on my badlands ones.

Scary stuff isnt it, I made sure I had a nice ice cold glass of it while I was working tho
smiley36.gif
 

bonehead

I'll get pix tonight
vacBacker
Feedback
50 (100%)
Credits
1,721CR
Just becareful cleaning the rust off with a wire wheel.
I have made scour marks on metal in the past which looks worse than the rust.
Try t-cut and wire wool.
Try it on the back frat and see how it goes.

Steve
 

RGP

Meeter & Greeter
Feedback
5 (100%)
Credits
2,039CR
Steve said:
Just becareful cleaning the rust off with a wire wheel.
I have made scour marks on metal in the past which looks worse than the rust.
Try t-cut and wire wool.
Try it on the back frat and see how it goes.

Steve

This is better advice. I use wire wheel/sander on marquee brackets and other panels that are gettig primed/painted, works great for that but exposed metal needs another process to avoid scuffs, well spotted steve.
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Right, finally got some decent time to spend on this today, and thanks to rog's small package (
smiley2.gif
) that arrived with some great speakers and buttons, I could proceed. Thanks mate,
smiley20.gif


rogs_package_lol.jpg


First
up was refabricating the top part of wood that was torn off, annoyingly
its probably the most complicated bit of wood on the cabinet, as it has
the speakers in, the long speaker grill, and a hole for the glass, and
the t molding at the front.

Here is what I have to work on. Somewhere along the line, this bit had just been ripped away

torn_1.jpg


Fortunately
I took a lot of pics when I was at Bensonrads last week, and Jodo has
been very helpful with my "can you just take a pic of this bit"
requests, so I had a good idea, but it was still a fair amount of
guesswork.

First, I had the wood cut to size, then i cut a slot
for the special bit of t molding that has a gap either side, one to hold
the marquee glass, and the other so the speaker grill can fit. I didnt
have the router bit, so I went with a saw, and it worked out ok.

cut_t_mold_slot.jpg


Then
I routed a slot for the glass to go in, then cut the holes for the
speakers and routed out a bit so they could be sunk in and not touch the
grill.

speaker_assembly_2.jpg


speaker_assembly.jpg


Offered it up, and so far so good.

part_to_replace.jpg


With the speakers fitted, i removed them and applied black vinyl to the wood, then attached the speaker grill

spanel_2.jpg


spanel1.jpg


spanlel3.jpg


With this part done I could finally put the other half of the cab back together, as my view for the last 4 weeks has been:

my_view.jpg


So onto my mangled coffee table, that doubles as a black and decker workmate
smiley3.gif


onto_the_table.jpg


New part of wood in place.

new_wood_in_place.jpg


new_bit_on.jpg


Other side back on.

side_on.jpg

side_on_2.jpg


Replacing the missing part of wood for the marquee light:

marquee_area.jpg


And finally I can get the cab upright! Lots more to do but feels good to get it upright again.

as_it_stands_1.jpg


as_it_stands_2.jpg


Such a huge cab! Makes the little cabaret look like a toy!

as_it_stands_3.jpg


getting there, slowly but surely.
 

jengineer

Senior Member
vacBacker
Feedback
49 (100%)
Credits
1,196CR
dude, this is starting to take shape, can't wait to see the side art done and the glass in, CP on etc!

top one!
jengineer2014-06-01 22:58:55
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Cheers fellas!

yep in the living room, i spend as much time cleaning up after as I do restoring
smiley13.gif
. I live in a flat, so no choice really. Plus the sound of powertools keeps the neighbours on their toes
smiley36.gif

strykr2014-06-01 23:16:42
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
jengineer said:
dude, this is starting to take shape, can't wait to see the side art done and the glass in, CP on etc!

top one!

Looking forward to that stage :) That double coin door I got off you is for this cab
smiley20.gif
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Did a bit more today,

wired up the speakers and installed the marquee light and ballast

IMG-20140607-WA0018.jpg


IMG-20140607-WA0020.jpg


Couldnt resist trying out the marquee :)

IMG-20140607-WA0022.jpg


IMG-20140607-WA0024.jpg


Also
did a fair amount more wood filling, as one of the corners came off
when I moved it, the top corner had a hole, and once id removed the
vinyl on the other side, there were quite a few dings and dents, lots of
sanding to do tomorrow.

I also remade the final bit of missing wood, that sits above the back door.

IMG-20140607-WA0027.jpg


IMG-20140607-WA00298.jpg


Bit of vinyl

IMG-20140607-WA00346.jpg


Got
all the hardware back from the powdercoaters a week back, a lot of it
was in a bad way, but has come out great! thanks to Hitesh for sorting
that out.

IMG-20140607-WA0038.jpg


And attached it to the cab, along with the roof of the cab.

IMG-20140607-WA0043.jpg


IMG-20140607-WA0041.jpg


And thats that for the moment.
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
I dont know the name of them actually, they are Sussex based though, Did a really good job, PM hitesh on here, they did his Pony cabinet and was impressed. Its definitely a million times easier and a better finish then spraying.
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Did a few more things today,

Sorted out the pedals and put them
all back together, treated them to some NOS springs from arcade fixit
too. They were pretty beat!

20104-29_20.14.44.jpg


2014-04-29_20.27.10.jpg


2014-04-29_20.31.16.jpg


They've come up quite nice tho.

2014-07-26_12.14.23.jpg


Cut and applied some anti slip adhesive flooring to them as well,

2014-07-26_17.55.42.jpg


I
snagged an atari service panel from US ebay as well which got similar
treatment, coin counters a bit shagged, but its authentic
smiley17.gif


2014-07-26_09.08.41.jpg


2014-07-26_17.56.14.jpg


And finally put together the double coin door and mechs that ben(76) and ben(purity) kindly donated to the cause!

2014-07-26_17.56.28.jpg


2014-07-26_17.56.38.jpg


Still
absent a few bits I need for the doors, one of those microswitches with
the lever, a 10p insert which I think I can get from Swallow, a coin
door bulb holder, and preferably another one of those bulky screw
things that hold the s10's in!

Also attached the marquee and top bracket permanently, marquee looks a bit faded, but lovely when lit :)

2014-07-26_17.56.47.jpg


And thats all for today
smiley1.gif
 

muddymusic

The Repro Guy. Art and Parts supplier
Staff member
vacBacker
Feedback
52 (100%)
Credits
2,254CR
Nice work dude, those pedals came up a treat. This cab has really come a long way from the flat pack you started with!
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
Had a few days off last week and got some more work done.

After trying a lot of various vinyl samples, none of them worked very well, and all showed the roughness of the wood through, I was chatting to Purity about it and he said he was going with yellow Formica for his Pac cab, so I looked into that. I also watched a few youtube vids and noticed that tighe over on Klov does this with quite a few cabs.

I got a few prices and it was way too expensive tbh, I even drove to kent to have a look and ask a few questions at the main uk formica dealer...

Spoke to Purity again and he game me the number of the same company but oop north. And yes they were selling the exact same product at a third of the price their southern branch was.... make of that what you will.

I hired a laminate router from HSS bought the correct bit off ebay and some contact adhesive from BnQ. Cut the basic shape around the cab, this stuff is quite brittle so that was tricky as I dont have a mini circular saw, so ended up doing it slowly with scissors.. brushed both sides with the contact adhesive, and applied. Then trimmed with the router.

floor.png


&


router.png


IMG-20140730-WA0003.jpg


A couple of the edges aren't 100 percent flush, I put this down to the smaller roller bearing on the bit following the countour of the cab edges, and the edges aren't 100 percent straight after removing the t moulding. Very happy with the outcome though!

Next up was applying the Side art from This Old Game, Ive done a few CPOs, some sideart and vinyled wood parts but I was still bricking it a bit. The side art wasn't cheap once you include the customs fist...

Followed the tried and tested approach of measuring up, and holding in place with masking tape, removing a small section of the backing from the bottom and sticking on to secure the position, then peeling the backing tape slowly back and squeegeing down.

IMG-20140730-WA0005.jpg


IMG-20140730-WA0007.jpg


pre-mask.png


Went very well and pleased with the results, it was a bit hairy in parts tho...

side-art-floor.png


side-art-floor2.png


Applied the t moulding and put the monitor in.

side-1.png


side-2.png


Worked on the control panel, and gilt it all back together.

IMG-20140803-WA0021.jpg


IMG-20140803-WA0019.jpg


I ordered a reproduction system 2 bezel from Joeyscuda on Klov and it fits nicely.

I still haven't put the back door on as I can't find the correct hinges for this cab anywhere... Might have to look at getting them reproed at some stage.

final-11.png
final-12.png


final-13.png


And thats the cab done pretty much, Unfortunately its still a shell, but a nicer looking one lol. Just need an Atari AR3, pcb stack, iso, and wiring harness, and a small lottery win to cover those costs..

If anyone does have any of the above parts, please let me know, I would love to get this fully up and running.
 

strykr

Active member
vacBacker
Feedback
11 (100%)
Credits
1,347CR
vib_ribbon said:
are you getting close to colouring in the moulded caps?

One of those is original, and the other is one of yours vib, I tried a few methods to paint them and none came out great if I'm honest. at the moment it is paint penned black and silver. Any plastic painting experts please pipe up!
 
Top